First river cruise - advice needed please...

corpkid

DH and I have been on several ocean cruises and have enjoyed them for the most part (we certainly enjoy the smaller, upscale R class ships like Azamara and Oceania sail). That said, we have been seriously entertaining the idea of a European river cruise...

I think we have decided that AMA is the line we want to sail with. Looks very nice. Here's where I need some advice....

1) what are your opinions on AMA vs. the other players? I've read a bunch of posts and it seems that most are pleased with AMA. I've seen some negative stuff on Viking, but not sure if that is just a function of volume (AMA appears to be smaller than Viking). We are quite familiar with the various ocean lines, but completely new to the river cruise scene and kind of going on blind faith here...

2) I want to do a Christmas Market cruise in '14.... DH is worried it will be dreary and cold (we are Floridians, so unless we have skis on, we don't appreciate cold very much). His suggestion is a summertime sailing in '14. Is it very cold during December in this region? I think it would be be beautiful and need some help convincing him.

3) If we did want to do a summertime sailing, around 12 days (Danube most likely), what is the best time to do it? I would think late spring or early fall to avoid peak crowds and high temps - 60-70 degrees is perfect but I'm nitpicking. Is there pretty foliage colors in the fall out there? We love that since living in Florida it's pretty non-existent?

Thanks for any advice you can give! Looking forward to this trip very much.

Welcome to river cruising! It is far different from ocean cruising. To respond to your questions:

1. From what I have read, AMA is a nice line. I am partial to Vantage because I have done a number of cruises with them, and they rebate 5%.

2. Christmas Markets are really nice, but it will be cold. When we did ours in 2007, it was down to 17 F, plus, since you are so far North, it gets dark very early.

3, Early fall is nice, and I do not think you would run into the high water problems on the Danube.

We did a Xmas cruse from Budapest to Passau, and a summer cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. We loved both cruises for the different experiences.

Both trip stories and photos are on our website.

We are always happy to answer any questions.

Hi corpkid,

We are experienced ocean cruisers who are planning our very first river cruise. I started my research by reading everything on Cruise Critic.

I came across well written posts by CC member, MVPinBoynton (Mike Preisman).

I then went to Mike and Carol's website and read their review of the AMALyra. I was convinced that AMA Waterways would be a great river cruise company to seriously consider.

It seems many people on Cruise Critic attribute their decision to go on a river cruise after reading Mike and Carol's wonderful website.

Here is the link: http://www.thepreismans.com/amalyra.htm

When I return in August from our first river cruise on AMA Waterways, I will write a review.

Have fun researching.

Hi bobalink!

Talisker92 - I'm about to start reading your info - thank you so much for this

Thanks for the advice, and hope you have a FANTASTIC adventure. I have actually been reading Mike & Carol's wonderful reviews! This is what got me on the AMA bandwagon. They seem to know their stuff and are well traveled and if they like AMA chances are we'd like AMA. :) (if you are reading Mike and Carol - THANK YOU!!!)

I'm more excited every minute. We are pretty sold now on a mid October sailing... the foliage alone will be a treat (he grew up in Appalachia and me in the rolling hills of W. Massachusetts)... Having been in Florida for a few decades it's nice to see those colors and cooler temps again. :)

Edited by corpkid

DH and I have been on several ocean cruises and have enjoyed them for the most part (we certainly enjoy the smaller, upscale R class ships like Azamara and Oceania sail). That said, we have been seriously entertaining the idea of a European river cruise...

I think we have decided that AMA is the line we want to sail with. Looks very nice. Here's where I need some advice....

1) what are your opinions on AMA vs. the other players? I've read a bunch of posts and it seems that most are pleased with AMA. I've seen some negative stuff on Viking, but not sure if that is just a function of volume (AMA appears to be smaller than Viking). We are quite familiar with the various ocean lines, but completely new to the river cruise scene and kind of going on blind faith here...

2) I want to do a Christmas Market cruise in '14.... DH is worried it will be dreary and cold (we are Floridians, so unless we have skis on, we don't appreciate cold very much). His suggestion is a summertime sailing in '14. Is it very cold during December in this region? I think it would be be beautiful and need some help convincing him.

3) If we did want to do a summertime sailing, around 12 days (Danube most likely), what is the best time to do it? I would think late spring or early fall to avoid peak crowds and high temps - 60-70 degrees is perfect but I'm nitpicking. Is there pretty foliage colors in the fall out there? We love that since living in Florida it's pretty non-existent?

Thanks for any advice you can give! Looking forward to this trip very much.

We are doing our first one this Dec. We will be doing a Danube Christmas Market Cruise on Luftner. It appears to be a little known Company as far as the reports on here. We chose it because that is the line our local tour group was using. Which is booked through Collette Tours. We have read almost every post there is on C.C. about River Cruises and there is a wealth of info here. And, many very nice people willing to share info. Pick where you want to go, then who goes there, then read up on them here. Good Luck on your research and enjoy the planning!

• 2 months later...

we are doing Viking cruise through Affordable tours on 12-13-14 Danube waltz. any input on this tour or affordable tours? thanks. never did a river cruise so would appreciate any help you can give us

We just returned from our first river cruise, on Viking from Prague to Paris, June 28-July 9. Without any river trips to compare, we were very pleased with Viking, their service, food, planning, attention to details and passengers needs. Our program director (like cruise director) was everywhere, so energetic and attentive to all. I have no reservations about recommending Viking.

As for time of year and weather, we experienced from under 60 in Prague to high 80s in Paris. Have multiple layers available. I read traveling from east to west gets you through weather patterns in Europe faster, since they move west to east. Photos of Christmas markets are lovely, with special photo enhancements. Not for me--too cold and grey.

As for crowds, summer is inevitably crowded. An unexpected addition was school groups who visit sites after their studies but before school lets out. Knowing that, I'd aim for before mid June.

Whenever you choose, embrace it and have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

We love ocean cruises and are now considering a river cruise. We just returned from a land trip in France and Germany and were surprised that some hotels did not have a/c. We were very uncomfortable in Munich in June and if we opened the window, the noise on the street was very loud all night. Are the river boats are conditioned? I can't seem to find in in the literature. Thanks

We have done the Danube on a Viking longboat and the Rhine on the Viking Helvetia and had no problems with either one. They had brand new Mercedes buses following us up the Rhine this May to carry us wherever we needed to go for excursions off the ship....distances as short as 1 mile....they were there to get us up the side of the mountain. We have not done anyother lines so have nothing to compare but both my husband and I are professionals and not easily pleased....nor are we nitpickers....and we would not hesitate to recommend them, too. When the water levels make the rivers impassable, EVERYONE is unhappy and I would be, too but I would not blame the cruise line. I can't imagine trying to find lodging (probably 100 rooms) and places for people to eat at the very last minute in these small European towns. We probably all tend to like what we know.

DH and I completed an AMA (APT australia) trip from prague to paris (Cruising from budapest to amsterdam) last year and it was incredible - service, tours and scenery. No complaints from my travelling companions either

• 1 month later...
We have done the Danube on a Viking longboat and the Rhine on the Viking Helvetia and had no problems with either one. They had brand new Mercedes buses following us up the Rhine this May to carry us wherever we needed to go for excursions off the ship....distances as short as 1 mile....they were there to get us up the side of the mountain. We have not done anyother lines so have nothing to compare but both my husband and I are professionals and not easily pleased....nor are we nitpickers....and we would not hesitate to recommend them, too. When the water levels make the rivers impassable, EVERYONE is unhappy and I would be, too but I would not blame the cruise line. I can't imagine trying to find lodging (probably 100 rooms) and places for people to eat at the very last minute in these small European towns. We probably all tend to like what we know.

I just seen your post. I was on my 3rd Viking cruise on the Viking Odin in March and am going on the Helvetia on the Rhine Getaway in November.

Any suggestions on what we shouldn't miss or do on this cruise??

Travelfirst: We are doing Viking Danube Waltz first time on a river cruise. Any tips? Thanks. We are going in December. Iris

That's the next cruise I want to go on.

You don't need dressy clothes, just a pair of black dress pants and a nice top for dinner. I take turtleneck sweaters and a rainproof coat to wear every day on the tours when it is cold. I think for November I will need a warm waterproof coat or a warm fleece sweater under the jacket I have.

You get beer and wine with dinner, champagne at breakfast if you want it.

The only thing you have to pay for at the end of the cruise is the tips and you can put those on your credit card.

I always get the bank to order me some money for the country where I am going before I leave home so I have some when I arrive. Some people get it from the bank machines when they get there.

I put my itinerary in my checked bag so if it goes missing it will hopefully catch up to me.

Don't forget to call your bank and credit card company's and tell them where you will be so they won't think someone has stolen your cards and cancel them. My son travels all over and before he was leaving for Europe recently I asked him if he had done that and he said he had never thought to do that before...

Make a copy of your passport or e-mail a copy to yourself so you can access it if you lose yours.

I make copies of my credit cards also.

• 4 months later...
We are doing our first one this Dec. We will be doing a Danube Christmas Market Cruise on Luftner. It appears to be a little known Company as far as the reports on here. We chose it because that is the line our local tour group was using. Which is booked through Collette Tours. We have read almost every post there is on C.C. about River Cruises and there is a wealth of info here. And, many very nice people willing to share info. Pick where you want to go, then who goes there, then read up on them here. Good Luck on your research and enjoy the planning!

We have booked the same cruise for this November, also through Collette. I am interested in your thoughts about your cruise. I used Collette for a 3 week trip to Australia and New Zealand and thought they were terrific so I am hoping that Luftner is a quality line. My research seems to be positive but it would be great to get some first-hand information.