RFS on IOS

First time poster :-)

We've booked a transatlantic cruise for the fall on IOS. Party of six, three generations, four adults and two kids, Royal Family Suite. I have a few (or more) questions:

I understand we'll have access to the concierge lounge. What can we expect there? Is bottled water available? Juice and milk? What's the breakfast like?

Are there toys/games available for use in the cabin? (Kids will be 7 and 4.)

We booked in time to get the premium drinks package. However, it was advertised as for only two. Since it is a suite with four adults, what are the chances that all would be given the promo? Or would they force all of us to get the package (in keeping with rules that all adults must participate) despite it being a freebie for half the party?

We'll be aboard during my youngest's birthday - how are the shipboard birthday options? What are the cabin decorations like?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I can help with some of the questions.

The CL on Independence offers a continental breakfast for a couple of hours each morning. Each evening there is a nightly cocktail hour with complimentary soda, house wine, house champagne, beer, and basic mixed drinks (no blender drinks). There are also hot and cold snacks during the cocktail hour.

The CL also has complimentary specialty coffee available 24 hours.

There is no bottled water. Juice and milk only during the breakfast period.

The Concierge also is there to help with things like specialty dinner reservations, excursions, etc.

1. I understand we'll have access to the concierge lounge. What can we expect there? Is bottled water available? Juice and milk? What's the breakfast like?

2. Are there toys/games available for use in the cabin? (Kids will be 7 and 4.)

3. We booked in time to get the premium drinks package. However, it was advertised as for only two. Since it is a suite with four adults, what are the chances that all would be given the promo? Or would they force all of us to get the package (in keeping with rules that all adults must participate) despite it being a freebie for half the party?

4. We'll be aboard during my youngest's birthday - how are the shipboard birthday options? What are the cabin decorations like?

I've numbered you questions and I'll give our experience. We were in a RFS on Navigator last week. We had a 9yo and 6 yo with us.

1. No bottled water, although there seemed to always be a pitcher of ice water with glasses. Breakfast was pastries (doughnuts, croissants, and fruit-filled pastries), a platter of fruit (canteloupe, watermelon, grapes), and a platter of smoked salmon with pitchers of apple and orange juice. Our routine was to hit the concierge lounge while the kids were still asleep and get a first course. We loved the smoked salmon and the coffee machine mentioned above the most. The coffee machine is always available. We also used steamed milk to make hot chocolate from it.

2. They put a menu of games you can request in the room. There were no games in the lounge, although the concierge told us we could take games from the 7 Hearts game room despite the sign that said you couldn't do it.

3. Didn't do the premium drinks package because our understanding was that all adults had to book it and one of the adults wasn't interested in alcohol on the trip.

4. We didn't do the cabin decorations, but we did do the cake. It was presented with much fanfare on the last formal night (you choose what day and they need 24 hours notice). We had a fabulous concierge and head waiter (shout outs to Ricardo and Leslie) who also arranged for the pastry chef to come out and join the singing and picture-taking. My 9yo son said it was the best celebration he'd ever had. My 6yo fumed because she didn't get one.

Thank you both!

I'm happy with pitchers of ice water. Is the concierge lounge only open at breakfast and in the evening, or can it be accessed any time?

Cathep, how did you like the RFS?

Thank you both!

I'm happy with pitchers of ice water. Is the concierge lounge only open at breakfast and in the evening, or can it be accessed any time?

Cathep, how did you like the RFS?

The Concierge Lounge is accessible via your stateroom key card 24 hours.

So good to know!

This is my birthday present (though the trip will be just after my next birthday - I've told my husband he's getting off easy, two birthdays for the price of one!), but my kids have to be happy too for the rest of us to enjoy it. I think it'll be fantastic for all!

The 2 bedrooms and 2 baths in 1 room with the kids are so worth it, but the suite benefits are what did it for us. The huge balcony, the extra sitting room with dining table, ordering whatever you want in the room, the access to the concierge lounge, the breakfast in Portofino (although we didn't take advantage of this until late in the cruise) - all were something we don't want to cruise without now.

Consider it your birthday present to give the kids that extra room and bathroom away from you! ;)

Archived