Shore excursions in Bermuda?

shepherdqueen

There's lots of information in the Ports of Call section of this board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

We didn't book anything apart from an island tour on the first day when we went and also found it easy to get around and see everything we wanted to at our own pace.

As is always the case anywhere you go, be wary of renting a motor scooter. Not only can they be poorly maintained (and cheap Chinese things), but they drive on the right, which can be confusing. Trust me, I'm a Brit living in the US, so I know!!

Has anyone booked another company for shore excursions in Bermuda? Is it best to book the excursions through NCL?

Does anyone have any outside companies that they've used before in Bermuda?

Seems like the excusions with outside companies may be smaller group size, which would be nice. Also, some are a little less expensive.

I booked the helmet dive directly with Hartley's Helmet Dive. They much prefer that you book directly with them. They give you a discount from the NCL excursion and they still make more profit. If you go into the tourist info center at the dock, you'll find brochures for all excursions. They even offered their phone for me to book the excursion. Or, if there's a specific excursion you know that you want to do, book it on-line or by phone before you cruise. You'll save money. Since you'll be docked there for 3 days, you don't have to worry about the ship leaving without you. You may even find yourself on an excursion with people who booked thru NCL, but you paid much less than they did.

Bermuda is easy to explore on your own, but if you are planning to do a paid excursion, you don't have to book thru the cruise line.

Buy yourself Frommer's Bermuda Guide at your local bookstore. When you arrive in Bermuda, get in line for the bus/ferry pass and then turn yourself loose on the island. It is a beautiful island and the people are very helpful. If you get confuse, just ask the bus driver or anyone on the street. They are all willing to help. No need for organized excursion in paradise.

There's lots of information in the Ports of Call section of this board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

We didn't book anything apart from an island tour on the first day when we went and also found it easy to get around and see everything we wanted to at our own pace.

As is always the case anywhere you go, be wary of renting a motor scooter. Not only can they be poorly maintained (and cheap Chinese things), but they drive on the right, which can be confusing. Trust me, I'm a Brit living in the US, so I know!!

WELL...... I have been to the island 7+ times and rented scooters each time. Watch there you are going, watch the traffic, pull into the bus stops if you feel pressure behind you.

I lived in Bermuda until a couple of years ago - totally agree with the previous post - it is so easy to get around on your own that I think it's a waste of money for excursions. Bermudians pride themselves on being friendly and approachable, so will always help if needed. Bus drivers will indicate your stop if you tell them where you're going when you get on the bus. The buses are very safe, clean, air conditioned and reliable. Ferries are good too.

With regards to mopeds - agree with Bigfoot88 - this is a great way to get around as long as you are careful and use common sense. Completely disagree with Guindalf - the mopeds are perfectly well maintained and decent quality (especially Oleander cycles) - the speed limit is about 25mph so no one is going anywhere fast!

Bermuda is a pretty island, do some homework before you go and it'll cut down on confusion there. Ferrys are a good choice to get to Hamilton or St George. We did a 5 hr island tour w Byways Tours, just great. Eight passenger vehicle so no crowdig; Heidi is the granddaughter of a lighthouse keeper, and that family trade reached back quite aways (based on the plaque in the Gibbs LH); she had a wealth of insights to share. We did a two hour boat tour off the dockyard "famous homes & hideaways", excelent, worth the time to get the running narrative. Make some time to visit the Bermuda Museum in the Dockyard, great place to see history. There's a brew pub in the dockyard, the frog & onion, excellent amber ale. Around the corner is an Arts Center, local artists works, very well done and reasonable prices.

Archived