Experienced TA Cruisers - Guide Me Please!

gooselover

DH and I, (okay really me) want to take a TA cruise with NCL. My goal is to go to England. Don't care too much about in between, just go to England!

NCL has the BEST prices for this. So, my questions are:

1. When is the BEST time to go?

2. Eastbound or Westbound? (I would prefer to end up in England, but either way really)

The ONLY cruise that will probably work for us is on the NCL Star. Wish we could take the TA's in January 2014, but my husband's company will not let anyone off in January. Or....we wait until 2015 to see what is out there.

So, suggestions, advice?

DH and I, (okay really me) want to take a TA cruise with NCL. My goal is to go to England. Don't care too much about in between, just go to England!

NCL has the BEST prices for this. So, my questions are:

1. When is the BEST time to go?

2. Eastbound or Westbound? (I would prefer to end up in England, but either way really)

The ONLY cruise that will probably work for us is on the NCL Star. Wish we could take the TA's in January 2014, but my husband's company will not let anyone off in January. Or....we wait until 2015 to see what is out there.

So, suggestions, advice?

WE prefer westbound cruises.

Wear yourself out in England; have a blast!

Then, because of the time zones, have 25 hour days returning on the TransAtlantic cruise.

P.S. RE:80's / Culture Club... How About "The Cure" ? Robert Smith lives fairly close to the port of Southampton.

Thanks for the info. Honestly, and I hate to admit this, but the biggest reason I want to go to England is to go to Hampstead and see Boy George's house and possibly a glimpse of him! I have always thought highly of him because he wasn't afraid to be who he was.

The Cure has a tour this year also! Don't see anything in the US though!

Your best bet for transatlantic cruises is to look at Cunard they go across from Southampton/New York more often than just the spring/fall sailings for repositioning cruises that the other cruise lines do. These sailings will be in April and October to get the ships to Europe for summer cruises and then bring them back home for the winter Caribbean markets. So if you want to go at some other time you'll have to look into Cunard.

We like to go either way, but if you want to get to England without suffering a loss of a day or two because of jet lag, going by ship is the best way! You don't have to adjust your internal clock quickly, its all done gradually over the week. Nice and gentle, then a train ride to London and you're off to explore without falling asleep at tea time.

Have fun! Kulture Club is a guilty pleasure of mine :D

Question - which port is closest to London? Hamburg? South Hampton? Harwich??????

Hamburg is in Germany which is quite a way from London. Harwich and Southampton are about the same distance from London and have good train connections to the city. (Usually an hour and half)

You can take the tube to Hamstead Heath or someplace in that area. London Tourist websites can help with the directions.

Question - which port is closest to London? Hamburg? South Hampton? Harwich??????

We went from FLA. to South Hampton in the fall of 2010. Took the transfer to London stayed a few days then flew to Boston. Don't think we will do this direction again. We were both out of sorts for a couple of days. However when we flew to Venice in 2011 then sailed to FLA. it was great. Also did the Fire & Ice trip Copenhagen- NYC in 2006 and loved that (except flew NY-Boston never again). Guess my money would be on Europe to US (east) for direction. For time of year we have done both spring and fall no problems with weather.

Somebody else suggested Cunard, which I understand is a great trip (no stops). We hope to do this in a couple of years as we want to stay in London again for 4-5 days this time, 2 days just wasn't enough.

Thanks about the Hamburg. I just googled it found out it was in Germany - stupid me.

I was just looking at airfares and about fell off this computer chair!

It's all fun.

A few years ago, my DW discovered England was on an island.

P.S. Yes, The Cure on tour. In a few weeks, when WE will be in England, The Cure will be in Brazil.:(

Flying from the US to europe is usualy cheaper than the other way especialy UK.

(boston/NY to London $350)

NCL do not cruise from UK except for the 2 new ships so you will have to look at embarking elsewhere for a NCL TA.

Flights from the UK to other embarkations ports are usualy quite cheap(<£100).

Thanks for the info. Honestly, and I hate to admit this, but the biggest reason I want to go to England is to go to Hampstead and see Boy George's house and possibly a glimpse of him! I have always thought highly of him because he wasn't afraid to be who he was.

The Cure has a tour this year also! Don't see anything in the US though!

I hope you recognize him if you glimpse him!:eek:

Luv the 80's Culture Club music and google it all the time for my kids!

I have only done an Eastbound, will be doing a west bound at the end of this month on the Breakaway. Losing an hour each day makes the eastbound very tiresome. I like the idea of gaining an hour each day. I have seen a few cruise lines doing cruises to Southampton, including Royal Caribbean and Princess.

We found Iceland Air to have pretty reasonable rates to London (Heathrow Airport). We found the same prices leaving out of NY and Washington DC.

We will be spending 4 days in London (not a lot) but that was all we have been able to afford. The hotels, food, etc seem pretty pricey.

well next week i'm cruising new Orleans to dover UK on NCL star, so if the schedule is the same next year is that a possibility to cruise in April?

Dover is about an hour by train from London. The other UK port good for London is Southampton. (NCL do not call at I don't think)

Don't do a TA sea crossing in Jan..the weather is most likely to be terrible, plus potentially at best wet and dreary (or at worst, freezing) here. As a Brit, I'd advise a late spring visit, april, may or early june. Best likelihood of pleasant weather here. (but nothing's certain!) Alternative is mid September.

Since most TA flights W-E are overnighters, in your position, I would transit the Pond by sea first (avoiding jet lag during your holiday, oops I mean vacation in American) and fly home, arriving reasonably tired, but with 6 hours body clock time ahead of local time, just stay up as late as you can manage, then get a good night's sleep!

If you want ideas on where to visit while over here, feel free to ask!

Regards

Jewels

Don't do a TA sea crossing in Jan..the weather is most likely to be terrible, plus potentially at best wet and dreary (or at worst, freezing) here. As a Brit, I'd advise a late spring visit, april, may or early june. Best likelihood of pleasant weather here. (but nothing's certain!) Alternative is mid September.

Since most TA flights W-E are overnighters, in your position, I would transit the Pond by sea first (avoiding jet lag during your holiday, oops I mean vacation in American) and fly home, arriving reasonably tired, but with 6 hours body clock time ahead of local time, just stay up as late as you can manage, then get a good night's sleep!

If you want ideas on where to visit while over here, feel free to ask!

Regards

Jewels

I always mean to do it in that direction, but end up booking the alternative!! :) Usually getting time off later in the year is my issue. Maybe next year i'll book the repositioning cruise in the right direction.

Archived