Help-Confused

chirpy007

We are planning to fly into JFK and spend a few days in Manhattan. We then want to pick up a cruise from Cape Liberty to Bermuda. On the return we want to go back to Manahttan for an overnight stay before heading back to JFK.

By my reckoning we will be spending approx $350 in cab fares :eek::eek::eek:.

Has anyone from the UK managed to navigate the train system easily and smoothly and once of the train by the cruise port ringing a cab for the last bit and then the same when you disembark.

Thanks

I don't live in the UK but I have successfully taken public transit from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. I know other folks primarily from abroad have done it as well. The main obstacle for you would be calling Bayonne Taxi when you get to 34th St. in Bayonne. There is supposed to be a public phone there, but I didn't use it. In a pinch you could probably borrow a phone call from someone with a cell phone.

I know others have taken Airtrain from JFK to Manhattan. There are two options - one is to just get on the Subway and stay on until you get to Manhattan and the other is to change to the Long Island Railroad in Jamaica and take the train into Manhattan. if you are going at a less crowded time, you can just get seats at the end of a car with your luggage and take the ride. By the time you get off in Jamaica and find the train and buy tickets, you might not save much time anyway. If your hotel is not near Penn Station, you have to transfer back to the subway or take a cab.

We are planning to fly into JFK and spend a few days in Manhattan. We then want to pick up a cruise from Cape Liberty to Bermuda. On the return we want to go back to Manahttan for an overnight stay before heading back to JFK.

By my reckoning we will be spending approx $350 in cab fares :eek::eek::eek:.

Has anyone from the UK managed to navigate the train system easily and smoothly and once of the train by the cruise port ringing a cab for the last bit and then the same when you disembark.

Thanks

It costs about $65 to and from JFK to Manhattan.

Don;t use a cab from Manhattan to Cape Liberty...call yourself a car service and arrange it to pick you up and drop you off from the cruise terminal. It should be in the $50-60 range each way(a NY yellow cab will be more..)

here are a couple of websites to look at http://www.carmellimo.com

http://www.dail7.com

this will drop down your $350 to a closer to $250. You can take an express bus from JFK to Manhattan and then a cab too...about $14 pp each way(half of that if you are over 62) and then a cab when you get into Manhattan for about $10(per cab not per person) or so depending on where you are staying. You can do that going back to JFk. You can also take the airtrain to the subway or LIRR(the commuter train as opposed to the subway). The cost for this is $7.50 for the subway and

Once in Manhattan just like the tube in London the NY subway and buses are easy to use(one fare no matter what the distance)

Getting to the cruise terminal is not easy by mass transit but check with your cruise line they may have buses to and from Manhattan...

Sid - I think the OP is looking for details about how the public transit options work and how much they cost so they can make an informed choice, so let's give them the details as to how Airtrain works. I think your estimate of $50-60 from Manhattan to Cape Liberty is low. By the time you add in tolls and tip, I think it would run $90-100 each way, so the OP's guess of $350 may be a little high, but it's not far off.

Chirpy007 - where are you staying in Manhattan? Basically to get to Cape Liberty you take Path to NJ for $2.25/pp and the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10/pp ($1.05 for seniors). The cab is about $10 into the port. Depending on wher you stay, you would have a cost to get to a Path station.

I'm very sympathetic to your questions. I am doing a TA from Harwich to Boston in aug/sep and I had the same questions about getting from CDG to Paris, hotel to Gare du Nord, St Pancras to the Doubletree in Westminster, and the hotel to Harwich. I'm doing a mix of transportation - train, subway, cab, and cruise bus - and have tried to balance cost against stress and aggravation.

Sid - I think the OP is looking for details about how the public transit options work and how much they cost so they can make an informed choice, so let's give them the details as to how Airtrain works. I think your estimate of $50-60 from Manhattan to Cape Liberty is low. By the time you add in tolls and tip, I think it would run $90-100 each way, so the OP's guess of $350 may be a little high, but it's not far off.

Chirpy007 - where are you staying in Manhattan? Basically to get to Cape Liberty you take Path to NJ for $2.25/pp and the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10/pp ($1.05 for seniors). The cab is about $10 into the port. Depending on wher you stay, you would have a cost to get to a Path station.

I'm very sympathetic to your questions. I am doing a TA from Harwich to Boston in aug/sep and I had the same questions about getting from CDG to Paris, hotel to Gare du Nord, St Pancras to the Doubletree in Westminster, and the hotel to Harwich. I'm doing a mix of transportation - train, subway, cab, and cruise bus - and have tried to balance cost against stress and aggravation.

its a very short trip from Midtown Manhattan to the Port Liberty....

Dial 7 shows a $50 fare on its website from Manhattan to Bayonne in a sedan

CDG has an express bus that I think goes to Gare du Nord and there is a train directly from CDG to Gare du Nord. you can also pre reserve shared mini van service(has to be done in advance)...

The train's ticket sellers will has a British flag(UK) if they speak English(which most do)..I have to check my other computer for which shared service I used last year...

Sid - thanks for the advice and the offer of research, but I think I'm all set. I'm taking the RER train from CDG to St Michel because my hotel is two blocks from there. The same RER train can be used to go back to Gare du Nord. I may take a cab from St Pancras to the hotel in Westminster because the Underground is not always luggage friendly. And someone has arranged a cruise bus leaving from the hotel to go directly to the port. It took bit of investigation to work this all out, so I can appreciate the OP's concern about cutting down a $300+ transportation budget for NYC.

Sid - thanks for the advice and the offer of research, but I think I'm all set. I'm taking the RER train from CDG to St Michel because my hotel is two blocks from there. The same RER train can be used to go back to Gare du Nord. I may take a cab from St Pancras to the hotel in Westminster because the Underground is not always luggage friendly. And someone has arranged a cruise bus leaving from the hotel to go directly to the port. It took bit of investigation to work this all out, so I can appreciate the OP's concern about cutting down a $300+ transportation budget for NYC.

FWIW we took the train bus combination from Gare du Nord to Giveny...it was simple and a great day...

Archived