inside guarantee, what are the chances?

beachchairs2

has anyone had a guarantee for an inside cabin and been upgraded to something better ....it is our first O experience....the insides have been way oversold...very few are available on the ship to begin with....maybe I just answered my own question....just have to be lucky?

Last summer, we had a quarantee on a G inside cabin on Marina in the Baltic. Our cabin remained unassigned until about a half week before the cruise. We were joking with people that we'd be sleeping on a deck chair, but I figured the unassigned cabin was a good omen. Then I got that wonderful call from our travel agent, asking if we'd like to have a concierge level veranda cabin for not a whole lot of money. We jumped on it. Of course, there are very, very few G cabins (or inside cabins in general) on Marina, so that helped our chances. We currently have a guarantee on a G cabin for our late July British Isles cruise on Marina. Early on, we were assigned a cabin, and judging from the current status of cabins (at least as it appears on O's site), our chances of an upgrade appear to be bleak. However, you just don't know what will happen, and if there's a run on inside cabins in the next 3 months, we just might get lucky.

If you can live with an inside cabin (and they are pretty nice, just windowless!!) I'd go for it, but don't expect to get the same opportunity we did. It's certainly not anything that you can count on, but yes, it does happen - and we hit the jackpot last year! I don't know which ship you're on, but I would think that on the smaller ships the chances of upsells are a little less likely than on the bigger ships, as I believe the smaller ships have a higher percentage of inside cabins than the bigger ships.

If you're working with a TA and already have a guarantee, I would suggest letting the TA know your preferences right away, so that if Oceania calls the TA with an upsell offer, the TA can jump on it right away. I told our TA we'd be willing to pay "X" amount per person for any cabin with a view, and gave him our cell phone numbers. He still called to confirm we wanted the upsell before he charged our credit card, but at least he was able to give Oceania a heads up that we were interested. Needless to say, we were very, very happy to be bumped up to a veranda cabin, as I am a photographer and love being able to look outside without have to go up top - or turning on the TV channel that shows the ship's web cam!

Good luck! Oh, just curious: How do you know that the inside cabins are way oversold? Is there a wait list, or did your TA or Oceania tell you that? Someone on the Celebrity board knows of a web site where you can look up actual vacant cabins. I wish I had kept the URL, but I didn't!

We sailed on a B2B cruise on the Marina last fall. We had booked a Cat F, inside cabin, for the first 7 days and then Cat C, oceanview, for the second 7 days. We had assigned rooms for both cruises. About 2 weeks before the sailing, our TA received upgrade offers to Cat B3 for both legs of the cruise for $100 for each of us for the first leg, and free upgrade for the second leg. Of course we jumped on it. Apparently there was a lot of response to Oceania opening up all 3 lower cabin classes for last minute bookings. Good luck.

Well, thank you, grmmy, for giving me new hope that I might get an upsell offer, even though it looks like the cruise is practically non-booked right now!

And thank you, kimanjo, for letting me know that Oceania is not listed on the site I was remembering. I probably won't cruise Celebrity again (it was OK, but not Oceania), but if I do, I may come back here and ask you to email me the URL for the site!

we are on the marina...yes just have to be lucky...not interested in an upsell..unless it was just $100 which is really nothing...

and yes we would be just fine in an inside cabin....

we have cruised for 20 years ..for 10 of those we were always inside...then celebrity upgraded us to a balcony...well that spoiled us...so we have paid for a balcony ever since...but celebrity prices are quite a bit lower than O...of course you get what you pay for....

so we may be lucky but if not that is just fine...still lucky to get to go on a cruise and on O....

Archived