Dining fare - 1967

GrannyJ

In digging through some old boxes, I came across two menus from our 1967 cruise on the old Queen Elizabeth. What a hoot! People who complain about the food on today's cruises should have seen what was served back then. As an American teenager, I greeted every meal with horror at the prospect of what was going to be placed in front of me (and there weren't any buffets or alternate restaurants to chose from -- what you saw was what you got!) Luckily, I was "somewhat" adventurous and could find things to eat, but woo! some of it was odd. They seemed to serve a lot of "rolled ox tongue" and "fresh brawn" (which is headcheese or souse). Desserts were always rather tasteless puddings, tasteless pies, or ice cream. Breakfast always included broiled kidneys, grilled tomatoes and pickled herring on a bed of chopped onions. You got a choice of two vegetables - in the two menus I have, your choice was baked squash or French beans and peas or creamed garden turnips.

Frankly, I'm grateful for the choices on today's menus.

I know I am odd when it comes to food as I like almost everything. Now the creamed garden turnips sound good to me! Yes, I would like the ox tongue and brawn! However, I don't think I would want the current menus to change back to this!

Diane

• 1 month later...

By the time 1967 rolled around...the old QE was on her last legs. The cruise menus from that time were nothing compared to her transatlantic days. The First Class dining room served menus that were over-the-top. Breakfast featured at least 3 different types of bacon, eggs any way you wanted them, fish, beef, great sausages, etc. etc. Dinner often featured caviar, lobster, shrimp and other delicacies for starters. The roast section of the dinner menu would often go into 9 or 10 different types of meats and fowls. The desserts were magnificent. All of it...much better than you get onboard today's cruise ships.

Please don't judge the fabulous original Queen Elizabeth by your cruise menus from 1967.

Archived