Barbados Catamaran Excursion Chart

scomar

Ahoy All,

All the people of Cruise Critic has helped made all my cruises a more pleasurable experience. So I thought I would give back to all of you. I have attached a catamaran excursion chart to help anyone narrow down their choices if you are looking for a catamaran excursion in Barbados. It breaks it down by name of tour company (click-able to take you to their website), what kind of tour they provide (I only have snorkeling/swimming with turtles listed), Duration of cruise with departure time and return times, the cost (the total cost shown is for two people just divide by two to get per person cost, as of 4-13-13) and Trip Advisor rating (click-able to take you to the full review). I made this specifically for my upcoming cruise but hope it can help you as well.

Scomar

Barbados Catamaran Excursions.docx

Ahoy All,

All the people of Cruise Critic has helped made all my cruises a more pleasurable experience. So I thought I would give back to all of you. I have attached a catamaran excursion chart to help anyone narrow down their choices if you are looking for a catamaran excursion in Barbados. It breaks it down by name of tour company (click-able to take you to their website), what kind of tour they provide (I only have snorkeling/swimming with turtles listed), Duration of cruise with departure time and return times, the cost (the total cost shown is for two people just divide by two to get per person cost, as of 4-13-13) and Trip Advisor rating (click-able to take you to the full review). I made this specifically for my upcoming cruise but hope it can help you as well.

Scomar

Thanks great information. I did the Silvermoon years ago and had a lovely time.

Which one did you use?

Great info. You are as organized as I am. I am already booking my excursions for our cruise in March 2014. First time in Barbados and we are trying to decide what to do. Last cruise I planned so many activities in each port, I don't know if I want to just chill a bit this time or also plan something in each port. This time though just me and my hubby, celebrating our 30th anniversary.

Ahoy All,

Scomar

As far as I can tell you neglected to include Calabaza in your chart. They are one of the cats that takes smaller groups. Ranked #1 of 46 activities in Bridgetown.

-Kristi

Thanks great information. I did the Silvermoon years ago and had a lovely time.

Which one did you use?

We have not decided which one we are using yet. I am a big planner for everything I do. I am getting all my info together for each port and then about 6 to 4 months out I will start booking my excursions, by getting all my pricing together now I now how much to save for booking the excursions later. My wife thinks I am to organized, but I can ALWAYS find my car keys before she can find hers LOL (shhh don't tell her I said that:D)

As far as I can tell you neglected to include Calabaza in your chart. They are one of the cats that takes smaller groups. Ranked #1 of 46 activities in Bridgetown.

-Kristi

I did look at Calabaza website, but they have no pricing on their site, whereas the other I listed did. I know I could contacted them for pricing, but with my cruise being 8 months out I figured that was a little early for pricing. Once I narrow down my choices I may contact them and get pricing.

I did look at Calabaza website, but they have no pricing on their site, whereas the other I listed did. I know I could contacted them for pricing, but with my cruise being 8 months out I figured that was a little early for pricing. Once I narrow down my choices I may contact them and get pricing.

Calabazza books up early; we booked this January for next January - it's the best cat excursion out there, and we've done a bunch of them, including Sivermoon. 8 months isn't too early, and you really should add them!

Calabazza books up early; we booked this January for next January - it's the best cat excursion out there, and we've done a bunch of them, including Sivermoon. 8 months isn't too early, and you really should add them!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is Calabazza per person? Thanks for the heads up about the early booking for them.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is Calabazza per person? Thanks for the heads up about the early booking for them.

We paid $110 per person, plus tips. Had a wonderful day. The sailing, snorkeling, crew and food were awesome! We knew we were booking with them again for next January before e day was over, and e-mailed our booking rupiahs after we got home.

Used Calabaza last week- fabulous! I was so glad I didn't go cheap and get on an overcrowded boat. Such a great excursion!

Saw Tiami (a ship excursion I think) and man, that looked overcrowded. They were charging about $104 for that-- I looked it up when we got back. Calabaza was one of the most expensive excursions we took at $110, but was absolutely worth it!

I booked them 2 months ago for January 2014 and they already had 2 people. I reserved for 9 people so the catamaran is just about full :D

-Kristi

I agree that Calabaza should be included.

To the OP, thank you for sharing all of your hard work!

The Tripadvisor ratings can be very misleading as they are often ranked in differing categories - such as "tours", "activities", etc., then further complicated by location (as you can see by the use of Bridgetown vs others in your chart) It is also important to look at the number of postings by reviewers, some companies actively recruit reviews and you'll see that by many posters with only one review.

As I searched for my sailing excursions, the number of passengers was one of the most important factors for us. Unfortunately, not frequently listed by companies.

Again, I think many will find your chart a great start to narrowing down their choices.

For what it's worth, Calabaza fills up well in advance of cruise dates. A year out is not too soon. This holds true for many top-rated private tour companies from the US, to the Caribbean and Europe..

Used Calabaza last week- fabulous! I was so glad I didn't go cheap and get on an overcrowded boat. Such a great excursion!

Saw Tiami (a ship excursion I think) and man, that looked overcrowded. They were charging about $104 for that-- I looked it up when we got back. Calabaza was one of the most expensive excursions we took at $110, but was absolutely worth it!

thanks for the information!

I agree that Calabaza should be included.

To the OP, thank you for sharing all of your hard work!

The Tripadvisor ratings can be very misleading as they are often ranked in differing categories - such as "tours", "activities", etc., then further complicated by location (as you can see by the use of Bridgetown vs others in your chart) It is also important to look at the number of postings by reviewers, some companies actively recruit reviews and you'll see that by many posters with only one review.

As I searched for my sailing excursions, the number of passengers was one of the most important factors for us. Unfortunately, not frequently listed by companies.

Again, I think many will find your chart a great start to narrowing down their choices.

For what it's worth, Calabaza fills up well in advance of cruise dates. A year out is not too soon. This holds true for many top-rated private tour companies from the US, to the Caribbean and Europe..

I will include Calabaza when I get down to my short list. As with ALL reviews, you must take them with a grain of salt, even though you may be on the same excursion, see the same movie or eat the same meal everyone will have a different view. As I said earlier this chart was done for my own use and my personal likes. I am only sharing it as a simple guide for others without as much experience as some others on CC. I thank all of you for your input as it just makes this chart that much more helpful to all who read it. Happy cruising!!

Great info. You are as organized as I am. I am already booking my excursions for our cruise in March 2014. First time in Barbados and we are trying to decide what to do. Last cruise I planned so many activities in each port, I don't know if I want to just chill a bit this time or also plan something in each port. This time though just me and my hubby, celebrating our 30th anniversary.

You'll find that these booze cruises are quite relaxing. The best of both worlds - an excursion WITH chill time:)

Cheers, P:)

I truly cannot say enough great things about the day, Gina & crew and their hospitality! We too booked almost 1 year in advance and paid $110. Here is the review I gave Calabaza:

I read many reviews, and had previously sailed on Silvermoon, so we had high expectations. Gina, and her crew Ben and Danny surpassed our expectations!!

It is as described by so many here, warm banana bread, drinks and service to die for from the start! The seas were unusually rocky during our entire week at sea on our cruise, and this day was no exception. Gina was honest, and said the visibility may not be good, and swells can affect the turtles, and other times not at all. They are natural turtles, in their environment, so I could not have expected any different answer, and greatly appreciated her candor.

There was an hour or so sail out to Payne's Bay and the crew offered snacks and drinks along the way, and pointed out different sights along the way. When we arrived, immediately Shelly (a resident, friendly turtle) popped her head up and brought 2 of her friends. We had an AMAZING experience, and the 3 turtles swam around our group of 12 for at least 1/2 an hour. I could have never left. I truly was so happy, and grateful for such an experience, I cannot put into words the joy I felt, and still feel when I describe it!

Due to the swells, we headed back to close to the port, Carlisle Bay (I believe) where we snorkeled over 2 different sites and enjoyed a GREAT lunch. After lunch the catamaran stayed anchored, and we could swim or relax on the boat for about an hour. The day was paced perfectly and could not have been enjoyed more by our family.

I truly feel a visit to Barbados without sharing at least 1 sail with Gina and her crew would be an insufficient trip! I know when we return for a land vacation, Gina will be the 1st reservation I make after our accommodations

We took Tiami tours in Mar for our tour and they were awesome to say the least. They were NOT over crowded! There were about 25 people on board and there was lots of room to move around. The cost for us was $90 + tip(each),including unlimited drinks and a lovely lunch. Cannot say enough good things about them! Mike & the gang were so great to me, I am not a great swimmer so they got a buoy and myself and another girl, we had our own personal guide the whole time..... amazing!!! :D

Good luck whom ever you choose. It seems they are all willing to go out of their way for you to give you the best for your money!!

(I belong to scomar-- and yes he can find his car keys faster - but if I need a car I'll take his---LOL)

Do they do a half day? We wanted to do 2 things in this port.

Thanks! :D

A cab picks you up at the port at 9:00 am to bring you to Calabaza. I think we were back to the dock that they sail from by 3:00 or 3:30 pm. Not really a half day I think. The place that you snorkel is a good distance from where they dock. There is still a little time at the end of the day for shopping.

-Kristi

Also missing is Elegance. On TripAdvisor this catamaran cruise ranks #4 of 46 activities in Bridgetown. The ratings are 244 Excellent and 6 Very good, none lower. The Web site has the cost in Barbados currency. My wife and I had such an enjoyable time in January that we booked again for next January. Plenty of great food, an open bar, two sites for snorkeling, and one exhilarating run with the wind along the coast. The $100 cost includes transportation.

We have not decided which one we are using yet. I am a big planner for everything I do. I am getting all my info together for each port and then about 6 to 4 months out I will start booking my excursions, by getting all my pricing together now I now how much to save for booking the excursions later. My wife thinks I am to organized, but I can ALWAYS find my car keys before she can find hers LOL (shhh don't tell her I said that:D)

no such thing as "to organized" Trip planning is essential to a successful vacation.

Ahoy All,

Scomar

excellent job.

I am going to hold on to a copy of this as we are sailing the Valor in Aug and will be stopping in Barbados.

THANK YOU!!!

Archived