can I rent a travelscoot for the ship?

sharpasice

Anyone know if it is possible to rent a travelscoot and have it waiting in our stateroom when we get on the ship? We will be on RCI Oasis of the Seas for the Halloween cruise on Oct 26th. We do have a wheel chair at home that my husband & I share..as we both have chronic arthritic and back problems ..so it's not used on an everyday basis. We are driving from Chicago & I just thought it would be a bit easier to rent a small lightweight scooter such as the travelscoot. I don't even know where to start looking... Like must I go through the cruise line? Any help would be appreciated. Oh and BTW we will NOT be in an accessible room as we can walk but sometimes it just gets to be too much. Thank you all..

Thank you, thank you!! We actually are looking into purchasing one but we can't afford $2000 but we are hoping that now that my hubby is finally on medicare maybe medicare and our ins will cover a portion of the cost.

Thank you, thank you!! We actually are looking into purchasing one but we can't afford $2000 but we are hoping that now that my hubby is finally on medicare maybe medicare and our ins will cover a portion of the cost.

I do not think they will.

Anyone know if it is possible to rent a travelscoot and have it waiting in our stateroom when we get on the ship?

www.Scootanywhere.com rents the Travelscoot. However the Travelscoot will NOT be delivered to the ship as they are not an approved vendor of RCI. www.Scootanywhere.com will only ship it to your home or to the hotel. Refer to the link below for more.

http://www.scootanywhere.com/how_it_works.php

The Travelscoot is NOT currently approved by Medicare . Refer to the link below for more information

http://www.travelscoot.com/faqs.htm

thank you both. I did read the FAQ and found the same ..medicare doesn't cover it ..too bad..we will be at a hotel the night before the cruise so perhaps we can start the rental from that day and just take it on the ship ourselves..I think it's a better choice than taking our own wheelchair. Thank you again for all the help.

thank you both. I did read the FAQ and found the same ..medicare doesn't cover it ..too bad..we will be at a hotel the night before the cruise so perhaps we can start the rental from that day and just take it on the ship ourselves..I think it's a better choice than taking our own wheelchair. Thank you again for all the help.

Also be advised that you will have to pack up the scooter and ship back to Scootanywhere.com. My understanding is that cruise line will not handle returning the scooter for you. So suggest you phone Scootanywhere.com and do not place your order on line to make certain you have a clear understanding of all the details.

Also be advised that you will have to pack up the scooter and ship back to Scootanywhere.com. My understanding is that cruise line will not handle returning the scooter for you. So suggest you phone Scootanywhere.com and do not place your order on line to make certain you have a clear understanding of all the details.

Thanks I'll do that.

I do not recall which cruise line you are on, but check out Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations on line. They have a small scooter that will fit through a regular cabin door. It will not handle a big person though, like over 200 lbs or so. Also, check out local scooter stores to the port.

I do not recall which cruise line you are on, but check out Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations on line. They have a small scooter that will fit through a regular cabin door. It will not handle a big person though, like over 200 lbs or so. Also, check out local scooter stores to the port.

Thank you, I will check with them today.

Thank you, I will check with them today.

In January I had a full side Pride 10 heavy duty for our 20 day Caribbean cruise on the Emerald Princess. We were in a regular inside room. It was a tight fit but I could bring it into the room and go through the door. We rented through Scootaround and they worked with Special Needs at Sea. They delivered it to our cabin before we got on board (we were on board by 12:00) and pick it up after we got off the ship. It costed us $403.00 for the 20 days which included insurance. The scooter fit through the door better than my rollator which only went through the door sideways.

After much research, both here on CC (very helpfull folks) and other Internet sites decided to purchase the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus for our upcoming cruise. Checked with Princess and although a tight fit, was assured it would fit through a standard cabin 22" wide door. The rear wheels are 21" wide. It's rated to carry up to 300 lbs and also has the larger 17Ahr baterries, so will travel farther between charges than the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler.

Best price I found was on Amazon dot com, and this scooter will pay for itself by my third cruise. I bought the 3-wheeler, but they also sell a 4-wheeler for about $100 more. I've been using around the house, mostly outdoors to get some practice, and although it has a tight turning radius, didn't feel unstable if I kept the speed control down while turning. This model has 3" clearance and 9" wheels, so it moves. Very pleased so far, will report back after our cruise. Only concern so far is whether the ship's crew will allow me to take ashore on our 2 tendering ports. Will just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new found freedom on your upcoming cruise. I know I will. :D

After much research, both here on CC (very helpfull folks) and other Internet sites decided to purchase the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus for our upcoming cruise. Checked with Princess and although a tight fit, was assured it would fit through a standard cabin 22" wide door. The rear wheels are 21" wide. It's rated to carry up to 300 lbs and also has the larger 17Ahr baterries, so will travel farther between charges than the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler.

Best price I found was on Amazon dot com, and this scooter will pay for itself by my third cruise. I bought the 3-wheeler, but they also sell a 4-wheeler for about $100 more. I've been using around the house, mostly outdoors to get some practice, and although it has a tight turning radius, didn't feel unstable if I kept the speed control down while turning. This model has 3" clearance and 9" wheels, so it moves. Very pleased so far, will report back after our cruise. Only concern so far is whether the ship's crew will allow me to take ashore on our 2 tendering ports. Will just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new found freedom on your upcoming cruise. I know I will. :D

Thank you so much ...looking this scooter up right now..price is certainly good. Appreciate it.

Also own the same scooter. Personally I choose to rent for the cruise do not want the airlines to damage it which has happen to other I know. CareVacations Mid-Size scooter rental just happens to the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler HD Plus which furthers adds to my decision to rent for cruises.

I find that the 3 wheel version is easier for cruise ships as it has a tighter turning radius. Though the 4 wheel version provided better overall stability it has a larger radius which makes it difficult in tight spaces.

Purchased mine used off of Craig's List for $450.00. The owner had only owned it for 2 weeks before regrettably having to be move into a nursing home. Nursing homes won't allow mobility scooter. Assisted Living and Independent Living residences do however allow mobility scooters just in case someone wants to know. The scooters was still wrapped in packing materials when I picked it up clearly indicating it was never used !

Re: tendering - Have only been allowed to take the scooter onto the tender is if the tender has roll on/off capabilities as most cruise lines use the life boats that do not have these features as tenders. Has only occurred 1 in the past 7 cruises and it was on RCCL in Cozumel as the Cozumel Tourism department provides the tenders and RCCL does not have to use it's life boats as a tender.

Thank you so much ...looking this scooter up right now..price is certainly good. Appreciate it.

No problem, glad to help. Paying it forward after all the great advice I received here on CC. I used Progress Mobility's Amazon's site and my Pride Scooter was under $900, no tax, and included shipping. Scooter arrived in about 3 days. Easy to assemble and take apart for placing in the trunk. Heaviest part, the transaxle (rear wheels) is around 32 lbs. as I remember.

Many scooter choices out there, but I'm very pleased with this one.

Also own the same scooter. Personally I choose to rent for the cruise do not want the airlines to damage it which has happen to other I know. CareVacations Mid-Size scooter rental just happens to the Pride Go Go Elite Traveler HD Plus which furthers adds to my decision to rent for cruises.

I find that the 3 wheel version is easier for cruise ships as it has a tighter turning radius. Though the 4 wheel version provided better overall stability it has a larger radius which makes it difficult in tight spaces.

Purchased mine used off of Craig's List for $450.00. The owner had only owned it for 2 weeks before regrettably having to be move into a nursing home. Nursing homes won't allow mobility scooter. Assisted Living and Independent Living residences do however allow mobility scooters just in case someone wants to know. The scooters was still wrapped in packing materials when I picked it up clearly indicating it was never used !

Re: tendering - Have only been allowed to take the scooter onto the tender is if the tender has roll on/off capabilities as most cruise lines use the life boats that do not have these features as tenders. Has only occurred 1 in the past 7 cruises and it was on RCCL in Cozumel as the Cozumel Tourism department provides the tenders and RCCL does not have to use it's life boats as a tender.

xxoocruiser,

Thanks for this advise. Wondering if it was damaged by the airline, would they pay for it's repair and arrange for a rental for your upcoming cruise ? Another solution, would it not be covered by your travel insurance (if you purchase, as I do) or maybe your homeowners insurance ?

Thanks for this advise. Wondering if it was damaged by the airline, would they pay for it's repair and arrange for a rental for your upcoming cruise ? Another solution, would it not be covered by your travel insurance (if you purchase, as I do) or maybe your homeowners insurance ?

Re: airlines :

• Varies from airline to airline. It will only be replaced if the airlines authorized agent deems it unable to be repaired.
  • My friend's scooter was damaged by the airlines and was only repaired it. However it couldn't be repaired in time as she was going directly from the airport to the cruise ship. She had to fight with the airlines ( possibly even had to get an attorney involved but not certain )to attempt to be reimbursed for rental costs. Not worth the aggravation.
  • If a doctor deems that the mobility scooter is medically necessary , a RX could be obtained prior to renting one. The RX has to state medical need and has to be a recent RX dated prior to the date of renting the scooter. You can than discuss with your tax advisor or account if the rental cost could be applied towards meeting the qualifying criteria for a Medical Deduction on one's Federal Income Taxes. Again it needs to be stressed that this should be discussed with your tax advisor or accountant first as each person's circumstances are different .

Re: Travel Insurance.

• Generally speaking Travel insurance does not cover loss of damage to a mobility scooter.
  • However one should ask that question when purchasing travel insurance.

Re: Homeowners insurance

• Whether or not homeowner's insurance does also depends on the terms of the specific policy.
  • My policy does cover my scooter. However given that most homeowners elect to have a $1,000.00 deductible to reduce the premium cost it's not worth processing a claim for a portable mobility scooter such as one of the Pride Go Go Models.

Re: airlines :

• Varies from airline to airline. It will only be replaced if the airlines authorized agent deems it unable to be repaired.
  • My friend's scooter was damaged by the airlines and was only repaired it. However it couldn't be repaired in time as she was going directly from the airport to the cruise ship. She had to fight with the airlines ( possibly even had to get an attorney involved but not certain )to attempt to be reimbursed for rental costs. Not worth the aggravation.
  • If a doctor deems that the mobility scooter is medically necessary , a RX could be obtained prior to renting one. The RX has to state medical need and has to be a recent RX dated prior to the date of renting the scooter. You can than discuss with your tax advisor or account if the rental cost could be applied towards meeting the qualifying criteria for a Medical Deduction on one's Federal Income Taxes. Again it needs to be stressed that this should be discussed with your tax advisor or accountant first as each person's circumstances are different .

Re: Travel Insurance.

• Generally speaking Travel insurance does not cover loss of damage to a mobility scooter.
  • However one should ask that question when purchasing travel insurance.

Re: Homeowners insurance

• Whether or not homeowner's insurance does also depends on the terms of the specific policy.
  • My policy does cover my scooter. However given that most homeowners elect to have a $1,000.00 deductible to reduce the premium cost it's not worth processing a claim for a portable mobility scooter such as one of the Pride Go Go Models.

xxoocruiser,

Good point, forgot about the H.O. Ins. deductible, might not be worth the claim. I'll check with my Travel Insurance company just in case. Sounds like the airlines are not very helpful at all, as even if they decide to repair it, wouldn't happen in time for the cruise, as I would require a last minute rental. Maybe I should inquire with Special Needs @ Sea or CareVacations to see if they have a last minute (24 Hrs.) reservation alternative.

Thanks again for the advice.

xxoocruiser,

Good point, forgot about the H.O. Ins. deductible, might not be worth the claim. I'll check with my Travel Insurance company just in case. Sounds like the airlines are not very helpful at all, as even if they decide to repair it, wouldn't happen in time for the cruise, as I would require a last minute rental. Maybe I should inquire with Special Needs @ Sea or CareVacations to see if they have a last minute (24 Hrs.) reservation alternative.

Thanks again for the advice.

When taking your own mobility onto an airplane there are some things that can be done to help reduce the chance of incurring any possible damage.

• Do not leave the key in the scooter as the ground crew does not need the key and it's the easiest thing to get removed, ,lost or even broken off when loading and unloading. Ground crew are not allowed to drive it. Therefore the ground crew has to pull or push in neutral which leads me to the second point .
  • Securely tape instructions to the scooter advising the location of the lever to place the scooter in neutral specifically noting that if not placed in neutral before pulling or pushing the scooter the motor can be damaged permanently.
  • On all current Pride Go Go Models the yellow level is directly under the seat on right side (looking forward ) on the rear motor section. This lever has to be moved to the open lock icon position before manually pushing the scooter and than has to be push back into the locked icon position to stop the scooter from possibly moving about in the cargo bay.
  • I also place a copy of the "Troubleshooting " page from the owners manual in the pocket of the seat and also get a copy with my travel documents just in case it's needed.

Certain there are others on this forum that can provide other beneficial tips for flying with a mobility scooter.

CareVacations and Special Needs at Seas will always attempt to assist in the event of a last minute emergency . However it's not a always possible and generally not guaranteed. On occasions both companies sometimes deliver a scooter to be held on the ship just incase one breakdown or that there is a last minute emergency.

When taking your own mobility onto an airplane there are some things that can be done to help reduce the chance of incurring any possible damage.

• Do not leave the key in the scooter as the ground crew does not need the key and it's the easiest thing to get removed, ,lost or even broken off when loading and unloading. Ground crew are not allowed to drive it. Therefore the ground crew has to pull or push in neutral which leads me to the second point .
  • Securely tape instructions to the scooter advising the location of the lever to place the scooter in neutral specifically noting that if not placed in neutral before pulling or pushing the scooter the motor can be damaged permanently.
  • On all current Pride Go Go Models the yellow level is directly under the seat on right side (looking forward ) on the rear motor section. This lever has to be moved to the open lock icon position before manually pushing the scooter and than has to be push back into the locked icon position to stop the scooter from possibly moving about in the cargo bay.
  • I also place a copy of the "Troubleshooting " page from the owners manual in the pocket of the seat and also get a copy with my travel documents just in case it's needed.

Certain there are others on this forum that can provide other beneficial tips for flying with a mobility scooter.

CareVacations and Special Needs at Seas will always attempt to assist in the event of a last minute emergency . However it's not a always possible and generally not guaranteed. On occasions both companies sometimes deliver a scooter to be held on the ship just incase one breakdown or that there is a last minute emergency.

xxoocruiser,

Thanks for all the recommendations. I believe you provided that info to me before to an earlier post asking about mobility scooter recommendations, about a month ago.

Was planning on taping a note regarding the "freewheel yellow lever" on the trans axle, instructing the crew to ALWAYS place the scooter in freewheel mode prior to moving and then re-securing the scooter in LOCKED mode after placing it in the cargo hold of the plane. I'll add a copy of the "Troubleshooting" page from the owners manual in the pocket of the seat.

Just got off the phone with my Travel Ins. co., and there maximum coverage is $500 under lost luggage, and must be justified as a medical need by a doctor prior to the cruise. Also, there coverage is secondary to any Homeowners or Air Carrier coverage, so not much help there.

Thanks again, will just hope for the best. :D

I agree with the other post regarding renting scooter vs. taking your own. As you have indicated, you and your husband are able to walk some. So make arrangements for wheel chair assistance at the airports as well as at the cruise terminals. This is what we do are will be doing next month.

We rent 2 scooters and they are delivered to our cabins the day of embarkation. We arrive anywhere between 12:30 - 1:30 at the port, and get wheelchairs with port attendants/cruise line attendants to wheel us in and aboard the ship. Once on board, we ask to be taken directly to our cabin so that we can obtain the scooters. Once we get them, we are out the door and on our way to explore the ship.

We rent for Special Needs at Sea (SNS) and have never had any problems. This past February, we had an issue with DH's scooter, it would not run properly. I immediately called the SNS office as we had not begun the muster drill yet and informed them of the problem. They told us that there was a back up scooter on board (do not know if this is the norm) but that they were going to notify Housekeeping immediately and have the scooters switched. As our cabin was close by, DH was able to walk so we told them that the scooter was already in the cabin (being charged - thinking that there was not enough of a charge and that what was causing the problem). They asked that after the drill we return to our cabin and Housekeeping will have handled the switching. Well indeed it was switched and we had a wonderful time. I have used SNS for our past 5 and 2 upcoming sailings and could not be happier.

Oh, on a side note, I always ask the Special Needs Department for an approved extension cord to assist us in charging of the scooters. Depending on where we park them in the cabin and where the outlet is located. We try to have the most amount of room to move around in the cabin - especially at night. We will usually park one at the door at night when we are not expecting to open the door again for anything and then connect it for charging.

Hope the info helps.

Alliebrandy..great ideas thank you..we are driving this time but at airports usually do ask for 2 wheelchairs but didn't know you could do that at the terminal..who should I ask? The person at the check in desk? or outside the terminal?

Alliebrandy..great ideas thank you..we are driving this time but at airports usually do ask for 2 wheelchairs but didn't know you could do that at the terminal..who should I ask? The person at the check in desk? or outside the terminal?

Ask either your travel agent or the cruise line for a special needs form so you can enter in the information regarding your (the) scooter(s) you will be taking and/or renting, and if you would like the extension cord you have to let them know ahead of time. On that form you can indicate to them that you will be requiring 2 wheelchairs at the port for embarkation/debarkation.

Then when you arrive at the port you tell the baggage porter that is taking your luggage that you require the wheelchairs. He will direct you to an area (bench and or person) that will come with the chair(s) to take you into the terminal area for check in. Once you have checked in, the attendant will push you over to an area where cruise line attendants will take over and bring you aboard ship. Again as I stated previously, if you get on board close to or after the ship has announced that the cabins are available to enter into, have the attendant take you directly to your cabin. This way you can leave your belongings that you carried aboard in there, as well as picking up your scooters in the room. (If you are going to rent). And then you and DH can take off and have a wonderful time.

With a little practice, you will be able to negotiate getting 2 scooters into an elevator at the same time. If there is one or two people in the elevator, we ask that they step out and allow us to enter and go as far back as possible, then they can step back in and continue in the direction they were heading. there is still plenty of room for a few to ride along with you. Otherwise, we will take separate elevators and meet on the designated level.

Another practice we have used when arriving to the room either alone or together, is the one in front will unlock the cabin door and leave it ajar, then will pull forward and back the scooter into the cabin. Then get up and hold the door for the other to back in. Backing in, we find, makes it easier for us when leaving the cabin. We have always been fortunate enough to book an accessible cabin this way there is plenty of room.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Ask either your travel agent or the cruise line for a special needs form so you can enter in the information regarding your (the) scooter(s) you will be taking and/or renting, and if you would like the extension cord you have to let them know ahead of time. On that form you can indicate to them that you will be requiring 2 wheelchairs at the port for embarkation/debarkation.

Then when you arrive at the port you tell the baggage porter that is taking your luggage that you require the wheelchairs. He will direct you to an area (bench and or person) that will come with the chair(s) to take you into the terminal area for check in. Once you have checked in, the attendant will push you over to an area where cruise line attendants will take over and bring you aboard ship. Again as I stated previously, if you get on board close to or after the ship has announced that the cabins are available to enter into, have the attendant take you directly to your cabin. This way you can leave your belongings that you carried aboard in there, as well as picking up your scooters in the room. (If you are going to rent). And then you and DH can take off and have a wonderful time.

With a little practice, you will be able to negotiate getting 2 scooters into an elevator at the same time. If there is one or two people in the elevator, we ask that they step out and allow us to enter and go as far back as possible, then they can step back in and continue in the direction they were heading. there is still plenty of room for a few to ride along with you. Otherwise, we will take separate elevators and meet on the designated level.

Another practice we have used when arriving to the room either alone or together, is the one in front will unlock the cabin door and leave it ajar, then will pull forward and back the scooter into the cabin. Then get up and hold the door for the other to back in. Backing in, we find, makes it easier for us when leaving the cabin. We have always been fortunate enough to book an accessible cabin this way there is plenty of room.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. :)

THANK YOU!!! Funny I did call the cruise line special needs dept just 2 days ago & they never told me about a form..I'll call them again..and the rental for the scooter is very reasonable..I really appreciate your help!!!:D

Archived