Sea Trek Scuba Diving Certification?

agc291

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=611

Can someone who has done this or knows something about this fill me in?

I want to get certified before our trip but found this and am wondering about it.

It is pretty cheap considering the normal cost ( at least where I live) to be $500 to be PADI certified. Also, I thought you needed 4 open water dives not 2?

The 2 dive certification is a limited certification. It is not open water certification. You won't be certified to dive on your own, only in the company of a divemaster. Some places will not sell you air fills. If all you want is to do dives with cruise ships, it will work. If you want to do shore dives or otherwise on your own, you would only be halfway there.

Enjoy

Ron

He took an extra class ( on board) and has his open water certification. We think he paid an additional $100. The Sea Trek "office" called our stateroom toward the end of his instruction to see if he was interested in the additional training. This was on Oasis in 2010.

Thanks to both of you! We will have to think this over. Maybe do this and do the 2 additional dives at home. We are going to be moving to florida in the next couple of years so we would want to open water certification.

This is how I started my diving experience. I had a great instructor on Navigator. A friend and I took the class together and were the only students - so it was almost like private lessons. Pool sessions started early in the morning, but by the time we finished we had an "audience" of sun bathers around the pool. (With some anxiously waiting for us to move our gear from the lounge chairs...)

As mentioned, at completion you'll earn a PADI "Scuba Diver" certification card, which limits you to diving with a professional (dive master or higher) and to depths no more than 40 ft (12 m).

On the ships course, you only cover a portion of the course materials, confined (pool) dives, and two of the four open water dives. To get full open water certification, you'll need to work with a dive shop to finish the rest.

Here's to exploring the world beneath the waves!

Thanks to both of you! We will have to think this over. Maybe do this and do the 2 additional dives at home. We are going to be moving to florida in the next couple of years so we would want to open water certification.

Just saw after I posted that you're in the Northern VA area. I also live in the Northern VA area and found a dive shop that I really like and instructors that I trust and would gladly recommend to others.

An option to getting certified on ship is to do the work here. Then you can just dive and enjoy your vacation.

If interested, let me know.

I am very interested! I discussed with my boyfriend and we would both rather enjoy all things Oasis offers then be scuba stuff that week. We did discover scuba in St Thomas on our first cruise and fell in love so we definitely want to get certified!

Does anyone know if this is offered on the Independence of the Seas and at what cost?

Thanks!

I believe the link at the top will take you to the royal site which shows what ships this is available on. The rates vary depending on what type you are looking for.

I am very interested! I discussed with my boyfriend and we would both rather enjoy all things Oasis offers then be scuba stuff that week. We did discover scuba in St Thomas on our first cruise and fell in love so we definitely want to get certified!

The shop I'd recommend is Patriot Scuba - they're in Occoquan, VA.

Probably a good idea. I did the scuba class on the Navigator, but I'd been on a few cruises at that point, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything at all by spending some time in the class. I would NEVER take a scuba class if it was my first cruise on an Oasis class ship. It'd be difficult to get to do all the things I'd want to do on the ship even without taking time out for scuba lessons.

It sure was fun seeing the chair hogs foaming at the mouth over our half dozen or so chairs piled high with scuba gear, in the "front row" by the pool while we were taking lessons. :D

Archived