Gatwick to Southampton

seg1

There's a lot of traffic an taxis and rail from Gatwick to Southampton. It seems that a taxi runs about 100 GBP + tip and the rail not much less. What's the problem with renting a car for a few hours and taking a drive down? I'm thinking of doing this and wonder if there is a problem.

You'd need to price and research this to see if it would be a good alternative. The three problems I can immediately foresee are that:-<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>there may be a significant one-way rental fee, which would eat into your savings;<LI>the cost of fuel will be significant and have to be added on (you have to remember that petrol in the UK is currently selling at about £3 or US$5.50 per US gallon);<LI>you may have the hassle of dropping off at the port, then finding a petrol station to fill the car, then finding the local rental depot to return the car, then finding your way back to the port again.

If the savings are enough, and you're sufficiently comfortable with travel to cope with all this, it may be worthwhile. But if you've just flown an overnight trans-Atlantic, I can understand someone saying it's all a bit much.

Jewel of the Seas 1-3 May 2004 - see my review here, and my photos here.

I just did a quick search and it will be around £100 to hire a car one way for 1 day. On top of this is fuel (our petrol prices are currently even higher than normal)

Unless you have been very lucky with flights you will be on a red eye and will be feeling fairly jet lagged on arrival. Added to this is driving on the left and our very fast and congested motorways (forgive me if you have driven in Britain before and know the problems)

Q Jump are showing the one way (single) fare as £21 per person and a journey time of around 2 hours.

All in all I would recommend the train.

Let us know what you decide.

Nick.

NCL Star March 2004

Thanks for the advice. I had misread the rail site previously and thought that the cost for 2 was per person. Do you know how far thr rail station is from the port?

Still trying to decide rail versus auto. A rental car would allow a little sightseeing on the way south (maybe Winchester). I wouldn't think traffic too bad early on Sat, especially heading south from Gatwick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nickwolf:

Great minds and all that Globaliser icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seg1:

Do you know how far thr rail station is from the port? ... A rental car would allow a little sightseeing on the way south (maybe Winchester). I wouldn't think traffic too bad early on Sat ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Southampton Central station to the port is between 5 and 10 minutes by taxi. It largely depends on how many red lights you have to stop at.

I agree about the sightseeing if you want to do that. But assuming that you're flying in from Dulles or somewhere else on the US east coast, you're likely to be arriving at Gatwick when your body is thinking that it's between about 2 and 4 o'clock in the morning, and at most you will have had about 5 hours sleep if you are really good at sleeping on aircraft and can get to sleep when it's early evening body clock time. You'd have to be very sure that you want to do this, otherwise you'll just feel like death warmed up.

Jewel of the Seas 1-3 May 2004 - see my review here, and my photos here.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will take the train, unless I can find someone to share a ride. The airport transfer services are asking 120-150 BGP which is $220-270 US. A bit rich for my blood. If there's anyone who wants to share a ride from Gatwick to Sothampton on the morning of 4 Sept., let me know.

If there's anyone who wants to share a ride from Gatwick to Sothampton on the morning of 4 Sept., let me know.

Ouch! Close, but no cigar!:rolleyes:

We're disembarking from the Royal Princess in Southampton on September 4th, and are looking for somebody to share a ride to Gatwick that morning!

• 1 month later...

I found out that the PC transfer bus doesn't leave until 11:00. For early arrivals at Gatwick (before 8:00), Princess transfers you to a nearby hotel to wait. Has anyone been in this situation?

Has anyone been in this situation?
Not directly, but some years ago I was on a HAL cruise that started from Tilbury. I got a taxi to take me from my north London home to the ship, but some of my group flew in early from the US that morning and were taken to a hotel for a while before going to the ship. They said that it wasn't the most fulfilling couple of hours in their lives. It seemed like another good reason for doing transfers under one's own steam, if practicable - but then each situation has to be researched on its own merits.

Seg1 - last year on the Royal from Southampton, we had about a 2-1/2 hour wait at Heathrow b4 the bus departed for Southampton. They put us in this tiny little room with the smelly bus fumes right outside (and the door was open). It was jammed full with Princess pax and all their luggage. We did pass the time talking with others bound for the same ship but it wasn't fun at all as the seats were uncomfortable and the room a tad on the dirty side.

I've read b4 (but don't recall which thread or how long ago) that folks have been at a hotel pre-cruise as a staging area and could only sit in the lobby. Went on to say there weren't enough chairs to accommodate all and seating wasn't comfortable. Perhaps you could call the hotel and see what's offered? do you know which one? I wonder if they have day/hourly rates - if it were me I'd slip the desk clerk some $$$ to get a shower & a bed for a couple hours. (All they could do was say sorry - not available.)

• 10 months later...

My family of four rented a mid sized station wagon form Gatwick to Southampton using National Car Rental. Takes about 2 hours assuming that you are good with roundabouts (there's about a million of them on the way). Traffic is pretty significant as well.

I drove the manual transmission (left handed shift but other wise the same operation as America) however, it is advisable to drive on the left hand side of the road. This was a "way fun" experience and I'd do it again.

Cost was 46 pounds (incuding taxes and drop off surcharge). We used 13.5 pounds worth of deisel. Drop off is at the Southampton Airport (we were taking a flight and not going to the pier). I'd expect that you could take either the train from teh Southampton Airport to the port (part way) and pick up a cab at the central rail station.

Hi

My friends will be renting a car & driving us from Gatwick to Southampton.

Which car rental company would be good (cheap) for a one day rental?

Cruisingly Yours

hey seg1,if it were me id take the train ,runs on the hour,fairly cheap,you can move around on a train,this train skirts along the waterfront for a nice view,i really wanted to take it cause i thought it would be nicer for wife, to be able to move around, see the coastline,and not be jammed in bus or waiting around,plus train is downstairs in airport,i just think its a better way to go:)) and a lil more comfy than a bus,just a thought:))) were on the golden 6/21 sailing cant wait yeaaaa:)))):p

Hi seg1,

As a local, I'd advise the train, unless there's something special you want to visit enroute. Take a look at the national rail timetables http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/award_2005.html

The best route is the one which has no changes - this takes you along the south coast. There is a train around once an hour, and journey time is around 2 hours.

Be careful if you are taking a train at weekends - this is when they do track maintenance and you might be transferred to a bus for part of the route which could increase journeytime.

Terry

Archived