Is The American Queen Accessible?

kitty9

My sister and I are looking to maybe take a cruise on the American Queen, IF the ship is mostly accessible. Since we live near Pittsburgh, it would be easy to embark there. I use a mobility scooter full time, due to post polio, so the boat will need to be accessible as far as the dining options and entertainment venues are concerned. I'm not so interested in visiting the inner workings of the boat, so that's not an issue.

How is it to get off the boat in the cities? Are stairs involved or is it ramped?

Any information will truly be appreciated.

Oh, thank you SO much. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences on board using a scooter. I'm also interested in knowing if their hop on hop off buses are accessible or if I would need to arrange my own vehicles.

Oh, thank you SO much. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences on board using a scooter. I'm also interested in knowing if their hop on hop off buses are accessible or if I would need to arrange my own vehicles.

My wife is disabled and I did some checking with them awhile back, and they do have a couple wheelchair accesible cabins. Since the ships are US Flagged, they have to comply with the ADA, so you really shouldn't have much problems with accessibility. I would double check with the buses, but I thought I read that wheelchair lifts are pretty much standard on all new buses now here in the US.

Have a great trip.

Here is some text from the AQSC webpage:

SPECIAL NEEDS

Accessibility

The vessel is equipped with several conveniences for guests requiring special assistance: two elevators and staterooms are available (see brochure for details). We carry wheelchairs onboard the vessel for emergencies only and to assist certain guests who need occasional assistance reaching the coaches or vessel. These wheelchairs are not loaned out or made available on an extended basis.

If you require the use of a wheelchair most of the time, we encourage you to bring your own chair or ask our reservations staff for information about wheelchair rentals. The wheelchairs carried onboard the vessel are not available for general guest use. The crew will provide any needed assistance to move guests to and from the coaches; however, staff are not available to attend to guests in wheelchairs for the purpose of moving about the vessel or on excursions. Guests requiring the use of a wheelchair for general mobility should have a travel companion to assist during the voyage and excursions.

---------------

We were on just a week ago and found the crew very attentive to guest accessibility needs.

kitty9,

I´d highly recommend to call them as mobility scooters do come in different sizes and weights.

Generally there is a ramp (called stage) to board the boat. With a scooter you have to use a crew area to get inside but crew will assist you. You may not be able to take the scooter inside your stateroom as they are pretty small.

Depending on the itinerary and the ports and the river conditions leaving the boat might be a bit difficult as it might get steep but usually no steps or stairs.

steamboats

Archived