Tauck Category 1

LIV 2 CRUISE

I am mulling a river cruise for my 65th birthday in 2014. I read on these boards that Tauck offers no single supplement in Cateogry 1 cabins, and I've been investigating. I see the photo for the Category 1, and it would not be my first choice, but I'm also not a millionaire. Anyone with experience in this type of cabin?

I am mulling a river cruise for my 65th birthday in 2014. I read on these boards that Tauck offers no single supplement in Cateogry 1 cabins, and I've been investigating. I see the photo for the Category 1, and it would not be my first choice, but I'm also not a millionaire. Anyone with experience in this type of cabin?

If you go to the Tauck website you will notice that there are some sailings where they are offering no single supplements. If those sailings work for you, it may be to your advantage. I don't know what cruise you are interested in or what dates, but the July 14 of this year had a few Cat 1 cabins open and I think that is one of the sailings with no single supplements. Not sure though, check it out.

Terri

I have booked a Tauck cruise in one of the category 1 rooms. Their waiving of the single supplement for that category (which they do on all European cruises) makes a trip with an exceptional company affordable to me. In fact, this pricing change resulted in these rooms selling out quite early for 2013. I could find nothing available that worked for me several months ago. So, I recently booked a cruise for 2014 when that first could be done.

Now to your real question. I have traveled on several river cruises on several lines and have had an assortment of rooms. Of course, all other things being equal, I would pick a room with a French balcony. But, other things are not equal, and I have no real problems with being in the basement or what some call aquariaum class. I am, however, tall enough that I can see out the little window when I am standing. It is an interesting perspective. I once had a pair of swans staring in at me! On a river cruise, I find I really spend little time in my cabin. Much of the days are taken up with being on shore. When the ship is sailing during the day, there are interesting things to see on both sides of the river. So, I spend my time in the lounge or on the upper deck where I can look in both directions. That's also a good way for a solo traveler to meet fellow passengers.

My opinion: Sacrifice the large window for the joy of cruising with Tauck.

I would suggest that you do not delay too long in making a decision.

It would appear that Tauck's website is far from upto date.

Despite it showing full availability of Category 1 cabins for single occupancy, both eastbound, and westbound, for the particular 2014 cruise I was interested in, my TA was informed that the only availability was on the May 16 departure.

Earlier than I would have preferred, but it was either that, pay another $7000 for the next available category on a later departure, or wait until 2015.

Two small windows are a small price to pay for saving $7000.

My friends were in a Cat 1 on our Bucharest to Budapest river cruise last August. Their cabin was the same size as our Cat 3 above them, but didn't have the French balcony. They said their cabin was fine as you are only in the cabin to shower and sleep. You can always go up to other areas to view the scenery. I for one don't like to stay in the cabin and go up to the top deck or if the weather isn't great, go to the Panorama Lounge.

Sheila

Archived