Gaming system in cabin?

Thank you so much. My son will just have to put the WII away for the week:)

The Oasis has so much to do that he shouldn't have any problems finding things to keep him busy. If he really needs to get his gaming fix there is an arcade... just make sure he doesn't run up a huge video game bill! :D

No offense to the OP but I have never understood why parents would bring a game console WII or play station on vacation. A hand held game maybe but for me even thats a stretch. Guess I'm stuck back when I was growing up that vacations were family time and you didn't bring stuff like that. A book maybe

I always think that when someone asks this and gets questioned about why people let their kids bring gaming systems.

Do you not drink a little more while on vacation?

Watch more movies? Read more books? Eat more food?

Lots of kids are very busy and active and want some down time while traveling.

Hence the gaming system.

I know that my kids love their ipods, and I wouldn't consider taking them away from them because we are on vacation. To be honest, even if they just play them when they first get up or when they are going to bed. Either way, its their vacation too, and I think its important to let them have some freedoms the way we do when we are away.

We have been on the Oasis, it is wonderful, you will LOVE IT

Chass

No offense to the OP but I have never understood why parents would bring a game console WII or play station on vacation. A hand held game maybe but for me even thats a stretch. Guess I'm stuck back when I was growing up that vacations were family time and you didn't bring stuff like that. A book maybe

I can appreciate your feelings, but our circumstances are a bit different. My son is 18, but he has a serious illness. Unlike other kids on vacation, My son is in a wheelchair and unable to do many of the things that the ship has to offer. We will spend plenty of time together as a family, enjoying our vacation, but he will also be spending a lot of time in the cabin as he fatigues easily and requires rest. Just thought his WII might pass some of those hours for him. Trust me I would much rather him be running around, zip lining, surfing, all the exciting stuff other kids are doing, but unfortunatly that just isn't an option. Still plan to have an amazing time on the Oasis though!!!!

I always think that when someone asks this and gets questioned about why people let their kids bring gaming systems.

Lots of kids are very busy and active and want some down time while traveling.

Hence the gaming system.

I know that my kids love their ipods, and I wouldn't consider taking them away from them because we are on vacation. To be honest, even if they just play them when they first get up or when they are going to bed. Either way, its their vacation too, and I think its important to let them have some freedoms the way we do when we are away.

We have been on the Oasis, it is wonderful, you will LOVE IT

Chass

Thanks, We plan on having an amazing time!! We fly out this Thursday, going to take our son on a tour of Miami Ball park, then on to Fort Lauderdale!!

I can appreciate your feelings, but our circumstances are a bit different. My son is 18, but he has a serious illness. Unlike other kids on vacation, My son is in a wheelchair and unable to do many of the things that the ship has to offer. We will spend plenty of time together as a family, enjoying our vacation, but he will also be spending a lot of time in the cabin as he fatigues easily and requires rest. Just thought his WII might pass some of those hours for him. Trust me I would much rather him be running around, zip lining, surfing, all the exciting stuff other kids are doing, but unfortunatly that just isn't an option. Still plan to have an amazing time on the Oasis though!!!!

I don't know if it would help but you might try to contact the Royal Caribbean special needs department to see if the TV ports could be unlocked in your stateroom.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

So basically your arbitrary line in the sand is "handheld game okay, console unacceptable". I'm glad that works for you, but what makes you think it's a standard? Personally, there is no way I would let kids bring a handheld game. But that's just me. Unlike you, I am not so presumptuous as to think my standard is the same for everyone else.

I don't really get your point here. Though I do tend to eat and drink more on vacation than when I'm at home, that doesn't seem to relate well to the idea of bringing a video game system. I don't really care if someone wants to bring a WII or Playstation with them on vacation, but I wouldn't ever do such. Most kids spend way too much time with that kind of stuff when they're at home. Vacation is a good excuse to get them out doing something active.

(And, as for movies, I'm much more likely to watch a movie at home than when I am on vacation.)

Unlike you, I am not so presumptuous as to think my standard is the same for everyone else.

I don't think nascar said that his standard should apply to everyone. Stating how you feel about something doesn't automatically mean that you expect everyone else to conform to the way you feel. :cool:

I read a post on another thread awhile back where they brought a small flat screen TV on board along with their Wii (or X Box). Apparently they do it every cruise. I think it's a terrific idea for those who will be confined somewhat to their cabins. I hope the OP has a WONDERFUL cruise.

I would bring something more self contained....a tablet or a laptop is better for travel than a gaming console. You can play most of the same games, and use the same controllers (plus the motion sensors if you use a tablet). Console systems are really not designed to be portable.

I like the idea of contacting the Special Needs department. I hope they can work something out for you, and I hope you will let us know what you hear back from them. :)

As far as the other issue on the thread:

Even with two teens in the house, our gaming system gets used perhaps 2-3 hours a month. It is very rarely on. WE all usually have other things we'd rather do.

We have hauled it along to vacation rental homes though. That is when we have time to play and might enjoy it, especially if the weather is not conducive to being out and about. I would bring it on a cruise, because my kids would rather be playing trivia or watching a show than playing a game on board (they don't like how prevalent the gaming systems are in the teen programming).

That is what works for us.

And as far at the "family vacation" thing. I am so very sick of hearing about that on these boards. There seems to be a small, but highly vocal, contingent of people who feel that vacations should be all about spending 100% of your time together as a family. That is great if that is what works for your family and if that is what all of you want. Have at it.

It is not what works for everybody though, and those who do not want to spend the week or so on the ship together 100% of the time are not therefore bad families or unloving or anything bad at all. Perhaps they have the chance to spend more time together when not on vacation than some other families, or the parents want the kids to build independence before moving out for college and see this as a good chance to work on that, or they travel together a lot and do not see a need to spend THAT much time with forced togetherness (our family, for example, generally spends 7-8 weeks per year travelling with all 4 of us. Another 3-6 weeks the kids and I are travelling together. That would be a lot of all day, every day, with older teens. Totally unfair and smothering to them to expect them to be with me all that time), etc.

One of the awesome things about cruising is that the same location can provide such varied experiences. So, if you want a family vacation that is all about spending time together as a family, and i want a vacation for my family which is all about everyone having the freedom and ability to do their own thing and find things they like (sometimes together and other times apart)--then we can both get that on the ship and others can have totally different experiences than what either of us have.

And as far at the "family vacation" thing. I am so very sick of hearing about that on these boards. There seems to be a small, but highly vocal, contingent of people who feel that vacations should be all about spending 100% of your time together as a family. That is great if that is what works for your family and if that is what all of you want. Have at it.

Seems to me that someone mentioned, "Guess I'm stuck back when I was growing up that vacations were family time and you didn't bring stuff like that," and a couple hypersensitive people overreacted to that statement, as if one is not allowed to talk about their views of anything for fear it might offend someone who feels differently. If you're "so very sick" of reading about opinions that might vary from your own, you might need a vacation to chill out. :cool:

I read a post on another thread awhile back where they brought a small flat screen TV on board along with their Wii (or X Box). Apparently they do it every cruise. I think it's a terrific idea for those who will be confined somewhat to their cabins. I hope the OP has a WONDERFUL cruise.

We will be traveling from Texas so this is not an option for us, but thank you for the idea. Thank you for your wishes of a wonderful cruise too!!!

I would bring something more self contained....a tablet or a laptop is better for travel than a gaming console. You can play most of the same games, and use the same controllers (plus the motion sensors if you use a tablet). Console systems are really not designed to be portable.

We will be bringing his IPad for sure, but again if your read our circumstance it is a bit different than most. His illness is robing him of all motor and muscle function therefore the small screen can make playing games difficult for him. Thanks for the suggestion though:)

Archived