U.S. Navy has left Newport, RI

sail7seas

I just heard a report the U.S. Navy is en route from Newport to Boston with a bomb diposal unit to help the authorities search the entire 26 miles Marathon Route for unexploded devices. Apparently, they have already found several and with so many backpacks and totes etc dropped and left when people scattered, they need to investigate every one of those packages.

The Navy is coming to help and we thank them.

I just heard a report the U.S. Navy is en route from Newport to Boston with a bomb diposal unit to help the authorities search the entire 26 miles Marathon Route for unexploded devices. Apparently, they have already found several and with so many backpacks and totes etc dropped and left when people scattered, they need to investigate every one of those ackages.

The Navy is coming to help and we thank them.

I heard on local TV that lots of bags and backpacks were left behind so they have to check each and every one...not knowing what they contain....were they innocently left behind...or do they contain bombs :confused:

They just announced they found a suspicious package in the parking garage at Mass General Hospital. They have now put a lock down in place at Mass General. This is all so awful. It isn't even that we can feel the worst is over...... all these reports keep us so on edge there is more to come. I pray not......

When we lived through the IRA bombings in the 70's, usually a second explosive devise was set to go off across from the first one, and timed for when the emergency personnel arrived in response to the first one. Ball bearings and nail bombs were often used.

Happy to hear the US Navy is on its way and that every backpack is being checked in the meantime.

It's because they had so many medical and emergency responders on site with a huge medical tent in place that more did not die. Police, doctors, nurses and EMT's were at victims' sides in seconds. The treatment tent is located at the finish line very near to where the bombs went off. They always have a huge presence of responders and police for the casualties the runners might experience on a 'norma' Marathon day.

I know that the Navy and those called will do what they need to do to make the area and people safe. To those first responders God walk with them and help them.

The US will do what they need to do to make people safe. I am secure in that fact. As one responder said things are very fluid at this time.

I heard on local TV that lots of bags and backpacks were left behind so they have to check each and every one...not knowing what they contain....were they innocently left behind...or do they contain bombs :confused:

At any marathon the runners will have bags that are transported to the finish area for them so that they can have clothing etc available after the race. It seems that all of that has been quarantined and the runners do not have access to it. That must have been horrible for them.

UPS-bag-drop-Richmond1-300x225.jpg

I also heard that the foil blankets they give runners at the end of races to regulate body temperatures were also not available.

solar-blanket-1.jpg

They just announced they found a suspicious package in the parking garage at Mass General Hospital. They have now put a lock down in place at Mass General. This is all so awful. It isn't even that we can feel the worst is over...... all these reports keep us so on edge there is more to come. I pray not......

Unfortunately things like this will continue for a while. Weeks after 9/11 when we were back in our office building in Downtown Manhattan we still had the anthrax scares going on.

Sending positive energy towards Boston.

Thank you, Peter. The Boston Marathon is the "pride and joy" of Boston...this is so sad.

You might remember the Good Nuts Cruise on the Noordam back in '09 :confused: A lovely young couple from Hawaii were part of the Good Nuts group...and he ran in the Marathon today. When I heard about this on the radio when we were out and about with two of our grandkids, I felt sick...hoping they weren't part of it. Luckily, they're safe and sound.

Thank you, Peter. The Boston Marathon is the "pride and joy" of Boston...this is so sad.

You might remember the Good Nuts Cruise on the Noordam back in '09 :confused: A lovely young couple from Hawaii were part of the Good Nuts group...and he ran in the Marathon today. When I heard about this on the radio when we were out and about with two of our grandkids, I felt sick...hoping they weren't part of it. Luckily, they're safe and sound.

Oh my, I remember that young woman who used to post here. It's been a long time since anyone mentioned her. I'm happy to hear they are safe. You were in touch with them?

Oh my, I remember that young woman who used to post here. It's been a long time since anyone mentioned her. I'm happy to hear they are safe. You were in touch with them?

She's posted on FB to say they're OK in their hotel room

We're "friends" on Facebook and she has posted there. As I recall, her name here is/was AlohaPride.

We're "friends" on Facebook and she has posted there. As I recall, her name here is/was AlohaPride.

Yes, AlohaPride. :)

So happy to hear she and her family are safe.

Last I recall her posting here she was expecting a baby.... Yes?

I recall the Good Nuts spent a wonderful day in Hawaii with her and her DH.

I recall the Good Nuts spent a wonderful day in Hawaii with her and her DH.

That was The Voyage of the Spammed. We had a grand time being shown all around the island of Oahu. A "best memory" kind of day.

The Good Nuts went to the Caribbean.

Mary & Keaka have three daughters. You are probably remembering when the first one was coming!

Time sure does fly.

That was The Voyage of the Spammed. We had a grand time being shown all around the island of Oahu. A "best memory" kind of day.

Mary & Keaka have three daughters. You are probably remembering when the first one was coming!

Time sure does fly.

That it does. Their girl are 2, 4, and 6 I believe. And Mary and Keaka left them with her parents in GA last week before heading on to Boston.

Time sure does fly.

:D I knew it had been a long time since I've seen a post from Mary but didn't know it was three babies ago. :eek: :D

Thanks for the update.

Don't know where else to post this, this seems like as good a place as any.

My very close friend was related to one of those killed yesterday. Been a trying 30 or so hours, having grown up around the corner (literally) and knowing many attending/running the marathon.

Driving up tomorrow to spend time with loved ones. Hug someone you love tonight, everyone, and hold them close.

Archived