Star vs Golden for Alaska

fellswoop

Can anyone say which ship they like better? We have been to Alaska before but not on Princess. We have been to Glacier Bay the first time and Star goes there, and Golden goes to Tracy Arm Fjord. Either trip I know will be beautiful even if we repeat Glacier Bay.

Any preference on ship or itinerary?

thanks

The conventional wisdom re Alaska cruising says always go with Glacier Bay. But since you've been there already, I'd look next at pricing/cabin availability to see which is better. Then you might also want to peruse this thread from a few days ago, where someone asked the same question and got some helpful answers. Good luck!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826781

Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm are both very nice, but different. It depends on whether you care more about scenic sailing or the glacier itself. For scenic sailing, Tracy Arm is probably superior. All those narrow fjords, tight turns, waterfalls, etc. are spectacular. However, you have to accept that you may not see the glacier at the end at all, or only a distant view. Glacier Bay is still scenic, just not quite as spectacular. The advantage is that you will get close to the glaciers and spend a lot of time viewing them. The glacier experience is definitely superior.

In July 2009, we only go this close to Sawyer Glacier:

6253_1211661169145_2854936_n.jpg

If you are willing to sacrifice the glacier views, and will still enjoy a day of gorgeous scenery, then Tracy Arm might be a good alternative. If you will be disappointed if you don't see any glaciers, stick with Glacier Bay.

I agree that Tracy Arm provides better scenery than Glacier Bay - although if getting close to the glaciers is important, then choose the itinerary that includes the latter. Having done Glacier Bay, I would choose Tracy Arm for something different.

But, if you're thinking about the ship itself, I would choose Star Princess as she's got the Thermal Suite that Golden Princess doesn't. The Thermal Suite is a great way to warm up after cold Alaska days...but then I would be apt to spend time there when others would not...

I'll reiterate the small, but noticeable differences...

https://sites.google.com/site/prince...e/starvsgolden

They are much more alike than different. The buffet on the Star was redone a while ago, and while not totally different, the flow is better and there is more seating by removing/straightening the half wall between buffet and eating area and replacing larger tables with more smaller tables. Beyond that however, I would choose the golden, but not by a wide margin. My favorite part about the golden is the wet/dry sauna right off the lotus pool, great for alaska to swim in a warm pool and then jump in the dry sauna to dry off.

....]But, if you're thinking about the ship itself, I would choose Star Princess as she's got the Thermal Suite that Golden Princess doesn't. The Thermal Suite is a great way to warm up after cold Alaska days...but then I would be apt to spend time there when others would not...[/color][/font]

I am trying to find out what or where the "Thermal Suite" is. I can find no reference to it on the Princess Cruise Lines web site.

Any help?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I am trying to find out what or where the "Thermal Suite" is. I can find no reference to it on the Princess Cruise Lines web site.

Any help?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The Thermal Suite is forward of the Lotus Spa - it has two steam rooms (one aromatherapy) a sauna, rain showers and heated stone lounges. An extra charge is required for it's use.

Archived