Outgoing Mail Server - Outlook on Celebrity

kobecat

I am hoping someone can help me. When we cruise Princess/HAL the outgoing mail server is always freely available at the Internet Cafe. This means we can download mail to Outlook, log off, answer emails at leisure and log on just to send them after changing this setting in Outlook.

I have never had any joy getting this information from Celebrity/RCL and have to resort to using webmail which is much more expensive as you need to remain logged in. Yes, I do type up emails in Word and then copy them into webmail but it is still time consuming and annoying.

I know that Celebrity/RCL heavily promotes Apple not Microsoft but can anyone tell me if they have ever been able to use Outlook on Celebrity to send emails.

Thanks for any help.

Beryl

Thank you for the replies. I do have my own computer. What I really am trying to find out is has anyone managed to SEND emails through Outlook on their own computer because they have managed to get an outgoing mail server address. On Princess this is typically something like 7284.453.123 My outgoing mail server at home is mail.providersname.net.

Beryl

Yes, no problem using Outlook from my own machine to send outgoing mails.

Everything is down to your laptop settings, you set up the outgoing postbox details, port numbers and so on in the Outlook accounts settings and they should be the same as you use at home or anywhere else. Celebrity simply provides the internet connection for to/fro, just the same as any hotel. But much sloooowerrr.

They do block some IP addresses, so you can't use things like Skype or video streaming sites, but mailbox providers shouldn't be a problem.

Your e-mail provider might get a bit uppity about getting a log-in from Miami (or wherever else the satellite system is based) and block a suspected rogue attempt. It did that with both our GMail accounts last month. But just log in the long way around, go through the secuirty questions and after that you are sorted. None of our other e-mail addresses, including outlook.com got unhappy, so it is very provider specific.

I can't imagine anyone staying online long enough to do anything live. It would eat up precious and expensive minutes at a furious rate. I always do the download-compose offline replies-then back on line to send shuffle, even though I can type at a good rate.

Even so, we got through 2 x 90 minutes of free time on a 12 day cruise last month. That's how frustratingly slow the connection was.

It might be worth setting your mailbox functions with your provider to filter out any e-mails with very large attachments and store them elsewhere for you to peruse on your return. A couple of e-mails with wacking great photos attached can have you sitting there for ages waiting for the message to download as your watch ticks along at 55 cents a minute, or more if you don't buy a deal.

Some people do not understand your question:

When you send email from Comcast at home your mail program is set to use your Comcast mail server. If you are not on the Comcast network you cannot send email. That is how Spammers fake where email comes from.

If it worked you could send emails from FBI.Gov very easily. You need to put the outgoing Celebrity mail server settings into Outlook in order to send emails from the ship. Web based mail programs like Yahoo or Gmail don't have this issue since you are logging onto their site securely and they know who you are.

If you can log onto one of the kiosk computers you can probably see the settings. Whatever provider you have should have instructions for setting up with a MAC. If not if you ask one of the people there and show them the printed instructions from your ISP you "should" be able to get it to work.

there is a gmail offline app so that may be a good altrnative

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/offline_gmail.htm

When you send email from Comcast at home your mail program is set to use your Comcast mail server. If you are not on the Comcast network you cannot send email. That is how Spammers fake where email comes from.

If it worked you could send emails from FBI.Gov very easily. You need to put the outgoing Celebrity mail server settings into Outlook in order to send emails from the ship. Web based mail programs like Yahoo or Gmail don't have this issue since you are logging onto their site securely and they know who you are.

If you can log onto one of the kiosk computers you can probably see the settings. Whatever provider you have should have instructions for setting up with a MAC. If not if you ask one of the people there and show them the printed instructions from your ISP you "should" be able to get it to work.

there is a gmail offline app so that may be a good altrnative

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/offline_gmail.htm

This is completely incorrect information.....

Outlook (and other mail programs) sign on to your provider's servers so there is security and someone can't just send mail using their servers and/or your email account. If your outlook works at home, you have already set it up with the security that allows it to both read your incoming mail and sign on to the outgoing (SMTP) server to send mail. Not only don't you have to change the settings when you are on the ship, you shouldn't change them if using your computer.

Yes, outlook works fine on my computer on the ship....both sending and receiving mail.

If it worked you could send emails from FBI.Gov very easily. You need to put the outgoing Celebrity mail server settings into Outlook in order to send emails from the ship....

I use outlook at home and my iPad on the road with a couple email accounts including a Comcast account. I've never had any issues with the iPad mail app being able to send and receive Comast mail when using the ship's wi-fi. While I might not be correct, I've always thought it used the same settings as Outlook uses. Up until the time I got my iPad I traveled with a laptop using outlook and never had an issue sending and receiving Comcast mail when traveling.

I'm speculating that this might depend a bit on the Outlook settings you're using for Comcast as there are some options which use the secure settings with password authentication. Might want to check the Comcast support forums on that.

Not sure why you would go through all this trouble.

I work in IT and deal with alot of providers and outlook users.

Just some information..

What email provider do you use?

If you are using Outlook (outlook is an email client) not an actual email provider like gmail, yahoo, comcast, AOL, hotmail, which is now called OUTLOOK email, not to be confused with Outlook CLIENT that you are probably using, this is part of their new OFFICE 365 designation for services offered in the cloud, you still need an email account.

I.E.

Gmail uses

smtp.gmail.com

SSL Port 465

StartTLS Port 587 pop.gmail.com

SSL Port 995

Yahoo Email

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

SSL Port 465 pop.mail.yahoo.com

SSL Port 995

Hotmail Email

smtp.live.com

StartTLS Port 587 pop3.live.com

SSL Port 995

If you have internet access on your laptop/smartphone Outlook will automatically send/receive emails when you have an internet/data connection. You can do all your work offline with outlook. Once you connect to internet you can send/receive. You should look to getting a limited data package or just use the ships PC and go to your email providers web address to check emails.

Honestly no need to mess with POP/SMTP settings.

I understand exactly what Kobecat is asking as it has happened to me, although usually in hotels. I don't believe I have encountered this on any cruise ships. In coming mail works perfectly but out going will not send. Check your settings for your e-mail account and in the server settings uncheck the 'outgoing mail' 'my server requires authentication' This should fix your problem, it works for me.

I understand exactly what Kobecat is asking as it has happened to me, although usually in hotels. I don't believe I have encountered this on any cruise ships. In coming mail works perfectly but out going will not send. Check your settings for your e-mail account and in the server settings uncheck the 'outgoing mail' 'my server requires authentication' This should fix your problem, it works for me.

No that won't work in most cases...if your mail provider requires authentication, you have to authenticate. The problem you may be seeing is that some public networks block ports (some for valid reasons, some because they have no idea what they are doing) and that can interfere with not only outlook but other programs.

I have not experienced a problem with outlook and gmail and we have traveled extensively in some very strange places as well as on multiple celebrity ships. My gmail is set up exactly as recommended (step by step) by google/gmail.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me, but the information provided is not necessarily correct.

I am in Australia. I am with provider http://www.iinet.net.au My outgoing mail server (SMTP) at home is mail.iinet.net.au

When away from home I can ALWAYS receive emails but NEVER send.

As I said previously the Carnival Group provides an outgoing mail server and I do change this in my settings and indeed have to.

Thank you 2aussiecruisers, I will give your suggestion a go when on the Constellation in June.

I appreciate your information alexgtp but Outlook will definitely not automatically SEND emails on my laptop; it will on my I Phone but that is painful typing everything in, so I was looking for a solution.

GMail of course is totally different being a web based email service. I will have a look at the Gmail offline app, thanks for that information, fredflint.

Any other thoughts?

Beryl

This can only mean your Outlook SMTP (outgoing) server settings are incorrect. If you can fix this before your trip you'll be fine on the ship.

Test your settings by using a neighbor, friend or coffee shop WiFi. NOT your home network -- since some ISPs may not require a password or other setting for the SMTP server since they can authenticate you in another way. It's totally possible that your Outlook SMTP settings work at home but would not work once you leave your home network.

You need to check the user name, password, mail server name, encryption and password authentication settings for the SMTP server.

I guess everyone understood the question, problem is you have added another layer of (potentially superfluous) complexity into what was originally asked.

In broad terms, as far as I can see, Paul from Maryland is bang on the money. Set things up properly and things will work.

I can't speak from experience of every e-mail provider on the planet, but I have had similar difficulty to the OP when on another cruise line. I asked for help from as friend, using my "spare" hotmail account. He did all the research, blah, blah, etc. but everntually came back with the correct settings for my laptop. Nothing to do with the ship.

The bottom line is that if your e-mail provider is troublesome, get another one and set the pair up in a forwarding arrangement for the duration of the cruise. But please, don't hope that you can sort it all out on board, 'cos not everyone has a mate at home like mine who will spend 2 hours digging around to find out my settings were wrong.

Thank you everyone for trying to help me, but the information provided is not necessarily correct.

I am in Australia. I am with provider www.iinet.net.au My outgoing mail server (SMTP) at home is mail.iinet.net.au

As I said previously the Carnival Group provides an outgoing mail server and I do change this in my settings and indeed have to.

Thank you 2aussiecruisers, I will give your suggestion a go when on the Constellation in June.

I appreciate your information alexgtp but Outlook will definitely not automatically SEND emails on my laptop; it will on my I Phone but that is painful typing everything in, so I was looking for a solution.

GMail of course is totally different being a web based email service. I will have a look at the Gmail offline app, thanks for that information, fredflint.

Any other thoughts?

Beryl

I suspect that your email provider has put in place security that looks at the IP address requesting authentication and if it isn't Australia, they block it. Would you call your provider and ask them about their security...tell them that you travel to Europe and the Caribbean and you want to make sure that your setup, following their procedure at:

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Setting_up_an_email_account_in_Outlook_2007#toc_0

will enable you to send mail. My guess is that they will tell you (if they know) that "for security purposes", they will block your outlook only allowing mail to be sent from someone in Australia.

If so, change mail providers....the one you have has not thought through the ramifications of adding levels of security.

Note: they do not use any unusual ports, so this is a security/authentication issue.

Please let us know what they say.

Thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to assist me with my problem.

As suggested by ghstudio (and I probably should have done this in the first place) I will ring my provider and see if I can get any assistance from them.

I have made a follow up in my calendar to do this when I have more time! I don't know how it works for everyone else but I find when you call help centres it can take an awful long time to get the required help.

I will be doing it tomorrow or Wednesday so will let you know how I go.

Thanks again

Beryl

I rang iinet and at first they seemed unable to help, and suggested firstly that I get the outgoing mail server required (OK Starbucks what is your outgoing mail server!!) or I use webmail!

With a bit of further prodding, they went further in my settings and have suggested that after going through:

Tools

Account Settings

Change

More Settings

Outgoing Serving

Click on "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"

It should work. Hopefully I can try before I go.

Thank you everyone who assisted - cruisecritic members are wonderful.

Beryl

G'day,

Just to add to your dilema :eek:

Until recently, I have had had no problem in being given the Outgoing SMTP server address with both NCL and Royal Caribbean. (from Internet cafe guru, or guest relations).

However, during our most recent Celebrity cruise, changes had JUST been made and a new system/provider had been installed on Celebrity Solstice..

When they finally got things working, all good in that the speed was the best we have experienced on any ship.. However, we could not get hold of the mail server details. We were told that they DO NOT HAVE an outgoing mail server in the newly installed setup.

.. We were on board for 44 nights, and were also told that the same system would progressively be installed throughout the fleet. .

That said, if they havent fixed that anomoly yet, you will be stuck with browser based email..

Phil

I am in Australia. I am with provider http://www.iinet.net.au My outgoing mail server (SMTP) at home is mail.iinet.net.au

Any other thoughts?

Beryl

We use outlook with our gmail accounts with no problems on ships. We sign in the the celebrity wifi and download with outlook. The we can disconnect the wifi and read compose and be ready to send next time we log in.

G'day,

Just to add to your dilema :eek:

Until recently, I have had had no problem in being given the Outgoing SMTP server address with both NCL and Royal Caribbean. (from Internet cafe guru, or guest relations).

However, during our most recent Celebrity cruise, changes had JUST been made and a new system/provider had been installed on Celebrity Solstice..

When they finally got things working, all good in that the speed was the best we have experienced on any ship.. However, we could not get hold of the mail server details. We were told that they DO NOT HAVE an outgoing mail server in the newly installed setup.

.. We were on board for 44 nights, and were also told that the same system would progressively be installed throughout the fleet. .

That said, if they havent fixed that anomoly yet, you will be stuck with browser based email..

Phil

That's not true....if your web mail is on a server that supports pop or imap mail (hint: they all are), you should be able to set up outlook (or equivalent) to use the mail server at your mail server's site.

You don't have to use the outgoing mail server on the ship...in fact, for your personal security, you shouldn't.

If you don't know how to set up your mail, call your provider and tell them that you want to use their SMTP (outgoing mail) server while travelling. Keep pushing until they give you the setup instructions. This is the normal way to set up email.....if your mail server company says otherwise, change to a quality mail server...and/or use gmail or hotmail, both of which work correctly.

It should work. Hopefully I can try before I go.QUOTE]

It's easy to test -- just go to a coffee shop, library or some other business where you can use their WiFi. Send an email from yourself to yourself. If it arrives in your Inbox a few moments later (may take as long as a minute, or two at most) then it's working and your setup will work fine on the ship.

• 1 month later...
That's not true....if your web mail is on a server that supports pop or imap mail (hint: they all are), you should be able to set up outlook (or equivalent) to use the mail server at your mail server's site.

You don't have to use the outgoing mail server on the ship...in fact, for your personal security, you shouldn't.

If you don't know how to set up your mail, call your provider and tell them that you want to use their SMTP (outgoing mail) server while travelling. Keep pushing until they give you the setup instructions. This is the normal way to set up email.....if your mail server company says otherwise, change to a quality mail server...and/or use gmail or hotmail, both of which work correctly.

The ISP is blocking the outgoing mail from other than the home location to prevent spam from being sent. Usually it is a matter of changing the port on the SMPT server. Like to port 587. As you say they need to call their ISP. They should be able to get an alternative port to use while traveling.

Archived