Is RCI's Quantum better than Breakaway?

London-Calling

I don't believe the 'Suite' experience will be. It seems no line competes with NCL & their 'Suite' perks.

But I'm willing to see what Quantum does offer since I live within 25 miles of it's home port of Bayonne.

Still looking forward to the Breakaway & Bermuda. (just wish NCL named the ship something else)

I'm sure the Quantum's studio balcony cabins will attract some attention.

As far as "destination ships" go, Quantum appears to have raised the bar. Only time will tell how well these new features work after months of use.

As far as "destination ships" go, Quantum appears to have raised the bar. Only time will tell how well these new features work after months of use.

I think they'll be fine! :D :cool: The age of building ships for passengers to only lay around the pool, attend a few variety shows, etc. is over. These ships are being built for the next generation. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with the added attractions. To attract new cruisers they have to build ships that appeal to the masses. There are still numerous ships out there that people can book that will offer the "traditional" cruise experience. :):cool:

I have wanted to try Oasis or Allure but don't love their itineraries :( Bermuda from Bayonne is right up my alley! :D

It's not going to Bermuda. To be honest, as soon as I heard they were home-porting from "the New York area" (Bayonne), I figured they would compete directly with Breakaway's Bermuda runs. But nope. Instead, Quantum of the Seas is going to sail 7, 8, 11, and 12 night cruises to Port Canaveral/Bahamas, Southern Caribbean, and Eastern Caribbean ports.

Here's the link to the Quantum Blog with the info on itineraries:

http://www.******************.com/2013/04/16/royal-caribbean-releases-quantum-seas-itineraries

It's not going to Bermuda. To be honest, as soon as I heard they were home-porting from "the New York area" (Bayonne), I figured they would compete directly with Breakaway's Bermuda runs. But nope. Instead, Quantum of the Seas is going to sail 7, 8, 11, and 12 night cruises to Port Canaveral/Bahamas, Southern Caribbean, and Eastern Caribbean ports.

Here's the link to the Quantum Blog with the info on itineraries:

http://www.******************.com/2013/04/16/royal-caribbean-releases-quantum-seas-itineraries

I was going by this info on the RCCL board:

Quantum of the Seas will sail out of Bayonne, New Jersey in Summer 2015 and offer 5-night Bermuda cruises on May 2,16,30; June 13,27; July 11, 25; August 8, 22, 2015. Quantum will also offer 9-night Bermuda and Caribbean itineraries on May 7, 21; June 4, 18; July 2, 16, 30; August 13, 27; 2015.

I was going by this info on the RCCL board:

Quantum of the Seas will sail out of Bayonne, New Jersey in Summer 2015 and offer 5-night Bermuda cruises on May 2,16,30; June 13,27; July 11, 25; August 8, 22, 2015. Quantum will also offer 9-night Bermuda and Caribbean itineraries on May 7, 21; June 4, 18; July 2, 16, 30; August 13, 27; 2015.

Ahhhh, very interesting, especially the 9 night Bermuda-Caribbean combo! I didn't see anything about Bermuda in the articles I saw today (but wasn't scouring for details either). We're going to Bermuda for the first time ever on the Breakaway next month. Since we've been *thinking* about trying Royal, if we love Bermuda like we think we will, maybe Quantum would be an option... Thanks! :D

The Q has only revealed some of the latest aspects of the ship, with many areas still labeled as MORE INFO TO FOLLOW. Included in this would be the pool areas, spa, and Promenade.

The indoor adults area award goes to the Q, as does an indoor pool. Sailing out of NJ, this will be nice in the winter months.

The outdoor restaurants and bars props goes to the NCL ships - though after sailing on the CCL Dream, the BBQ area they had set up was always getting closed down due to high winds - hopefully something is in place to avoid this.

The 270 is spectacular, but how many people will it hold for the shows? the views are going to be amazing.

Waterslides, ropes course, bungee walls will have a higher turn over rate (faster lines) then the FlowRider and Parachuting. I got about 15 rides in on the Flowrider while in port one day, then the lines came in, slowed down to about every 20 minutes. Rock wall is always great, and never lines.

Dreamworks vs. Spongebob. Age dictates.

Ice Bar and Fireworks are pretty cool.... Kids disco, bumper cars, roller skating and video walls are too.

Inside video wall balconies.. pretty cool concept. Wonder if they throw off heat. Awsome concept, DCL tried a similar thing with inside portholes, but nothing like this. The single and family rooms are also going to RCL for design.

Suites - for the big money spenders, RCL is the top of the line, though they lack the ship-within concept to keep the high rollers away from us common folk. The two story squites, massive space, etc. are some of the nicest rooms at sea - if only they had their own pool too.. they do get their own reserved seating area at all pools and theaters though.

Ports of Call - RCL wins this one.. The Breakaway is wasting away by going to Port Canaveral, the Bahamas, and private islands. Bermuda will be the only draw for this ship imo. The Getaway will be a better draw, but bland islands too.

Entertainment - RCL has not released anything other than the nightly entertainment in the 270 area (similar to a cirque or Arial show). Expect it to be Wicked. Live bands will also be huge, as will the dancing. Rock of Ages is spectacular, Cirque costs money. The floor is watching others dance.

I will seek out the Getaway if the ports change to something good. We cancelled the Epic when they changed us from the Western to the same old Bahamas / St Thomas / St Marteen - way too boring.... Martinique, Barbados, St Kitts, good job RCL! I will do the Quantum as a family cruise if the prices are decent, the Breakaway if Kids Sail Free.

As someone else said, the northeast cruisers are the winners......

True -- but 16 studio staterooms, 12 with balconies. That's not many.

I don't like insides, but their virtual balconies on the insides look interesting.

I admit I was not very impressed with QOS. Parachuting, cool. bumper cars...ok, I suppose. the ball in the sky thing-no interest at all. the 270 room looks pretty awesome though...

So far, breakaway wins. I think my 7 yr old is going to love the breakaway more than any of the others for all of the sports-type activities. I think before doing QOS, we'd go back to oasis or allure if we were going to do RCCL.

Go check out the RCCL board ... they aren't happy over there at all!!

I disagree. The majority are impressed with the ship.

What seems to be attracting more attention are the virtual balcony interior staterooms. They have an 80" projection on the wall of the exterior view of the ship.

Archived