Norwegian Fjords...North Cape clothing?

Robin Gail

We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the North Cape on 6/17/13. How cold does it actually get? Do we need to pack our winter Parkas? I was thinking of layering with a lighter jacket? I would hate to pack heavy coats if it's not necessary. Any advise would be appreciated.

We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the North Cape on 6/17/13. How cold does it actually get? Do we need to pack our winter Parkas? I was thinking of layering with a lighter jacket? I would hate to pack heavy coats if it's not necessary. Any advise would be appreciated.

This is the exact same cruise we did last year; June 19th. We don't own heavy clothing since we live in the South, and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was not as cold as we had anticipated. We layered and it was enough.

Two years ago we took this cruise and although we had light fleeces with us it wasn't needed and really hot back at port - sunbathing by the pool at 6pm!

I would be prepared both for cold with wind and rain as well as with a hat and sunscreen! It is usually windy at the Cape due to the 1000m elevation. G.

As Pia stated, the weather is not that cold.

I do suggest a light rain coat though.

It tends to rain quite often at the North Cape.

You will experience roughly 24 hours of day light there.

When I was there several years ago, there was a Post Office in the Gift Shop.

Many folks were mailing letters with the North Cape postage stamp.

The scenery in the Fjords is outstanding.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Our experience for June was that we needed warm jacket for North Cape, very windy and cold and unfortunately foggy.

Spitsbergen was around the freezing mark, but it was very sunny and did not feel that cold. We did wear warm jackets, layers, gloves, scarves and hat and walking boots.

Yes you do need waterproof clothing. Our jackets, warm winter and lightweight spring summer are Goretex.

You are going on our favourite cruise, we would be going again this year but the date from Southampton was not possible for us.

Wonderful scenery. Lucky you, such beautiful, mesmerising scenery. Look out for whales, your chances for seeing a live polar bear are probably zilch, although you will see plenty of dead, stuffed ones unfortunately.

Archived