seaweed/hot stone

zales

They roll them on you like a rolling pin...sounds kind of nice.

My massage therapist incorporated the bamboo into my regular massage. It really helped get deeper in the muscles of my back. I couldn't see what she was doing behind me, but it felt like she was holding it like a rolling pin, but just sliding it up my back, pushing and stretching the muscle with it. It was very nice. Not too hard or deep. Just enough nice firm but smooth pressure.

DW gets the hot stone massage at least one every cruise. She pretty much loves them all. The only variable is how much of a hard-sell she gets for the "products" they sell. Spending $50 to scrub yourself seems like a total ripoff to us!

I have found an easy way to skip the whole hard sell. When you fill out that form when you arrive for the massage don't mark down that you are having any issues.....none at all. Dry skin...nope! Stress....Nope! Any issues you want addressed?....Nope

I've done it now 3 times now and each time no hard sell. Now if you do ask about an issue, like dry skin, prepare for 10 minutes of advice, that costs a fortune!! :eek:

i used to spend a lot of time and money at the spa, but after some medically indicated massage therapy at home realized two things - it is sooo overpriced onboard, and quality is inconsistent. Now i just use my regular spa massage before and/or after my cruise, and use my ship time for other pursuits.

I would suggest that if considering a new experience - try it at home first. it is certainly easy enough for most of us to find a nice spa closer to home and know just what you want before you are going to use the ship's spa.

i used to spend a lot of time and money at the spa, but after some medically indicated massage therapy at home realized two things - it is sooo overpriced onboard, and quality is inconsistent. Now i just use my regular spa massage before and/or after my cruise, and use my ship time for other pursuits.

I would suggest that if considering a new experience - try it at home first. it is certainly easy enough for most of us to find a nice spa closer to home and know just what you want before you are going to use the ship's spa.

Thank You, makes sense;)

I saw the bamboo sticks and they kind of scared me, do they play chops sticks on your back. I'd love to hear from someone who had it.

My husband had the Bamboo Massage on our last cruise. He did not care for it, and came away full of bruises. He's pretty bony, that may have contributed, he said maybe it's not as bad if you have a little more body fat - or maybe he just had an over-zealous masseuse. Like a lot of guys, he usually likes the "hurt me" massages. But this one wasn't for him. He'll be back to the sports or deep-tissue massage from now on.

I have found an easy way to skip the whole hard sell. When you fill out that form when you arrive for the massage don't mark down that you are having any issues.....none at all. Dry skin...nope! Stress....Nope! Any issues you want addressed?....Nope

I've done it now 3 times now and each time no hard sell. Now if you do ask about an issue, like dry skin, prepare for 10 minutes of advice, that costs a fortune!! :eek:

Good advice.

On Eclipse recently, Eva spoke with me at length about my allergies and asthma before proceeding with the Ginger Salt Scrub followed by a thorough shower (in the massage room), then the hot stone massage with oils to give me the best massage experience ever. The massage time was filled with soft music rather than any sales pitch. I was a lucky cruiser.

I've posted "I'll cruise to Spa" and the massages are a turning point for me to book cruises knowing there's a relaxing "fix" after spending times in strenuous ports.

-Marisa

Just to jump in here, I've done the seaweed wrap (or burrito wrap as I call it) massages multiple times and love it every time. Getting glopped up is a little wierd at first and one must be thorough when showering off but oh, being wrapped up in the warm blanket with the soft music playing...heaven!

Oh and ladies who may be of a larger size, I'm told be prepared to be given a pair of spa undies designed to fit someone who is a size 0. Basically it's like one of those blue paper nurses hats that they wear in the operating room, only with two leg holes in them. Designed to fit no one in the real world. I guess that's so they don't get any glop in the wrong places!:eek:

Also I usually advise the therapist at the getgo I'd rather not have a sales pitch. If I choose to inquire about any "product" I will but don't do the hard sell on me, it wont work.

I plan to do at least one on my upcoming cruise on Summit in Sept.

My husband had the Bamboo Massage on our last cruise. He did not care for it, and came away full of bruises. He's pretty bony, that may have contributed, he said maybe it's not as bad if you have a little more body fat - or maybe he just had an over-zealous masseuse. Like a lot of guys, he usually likes the "hurt me" massages. But this one wasn't for him. He'll be back to the sports or deep-tissue massage from now on.

Ouch! I will not be tempted, thanks for the heads up. I may volunteer my husband though if he is being particularly annoying.:p

Nel

Good advice.

On Eclipse recently, Eva spoke with me at length about my allergies and asthma before proceeding with the Ginger Salt Scrub followed by a thorough shower (in the massage room), then the hot stone massage with oils to give me the best massage experience ever. The massage time was filled with soft music rather than any sales pitch. I was a lucky cruiser.

I've posted "I'll cruise to Spa" and the massages are a turning point for me to book cruises knowing there's a relaxing "fix" after spending times in strenuous ports.

-Marisa

I totally agree with your title.

I think I will have that treatment on my Norwegian fjords cruise this July, thanks. Of course my favorite part is when they massage my feet and scalp. The saddest part is when they do that little dingy chime signaling the end. :(

I agree, it wouldn't be a cruise without 3 treatments for me. I have learned not to buy anything but I must confess to being nuts for that milky skin lotion. It has saved me après sunburns. It lasts a long time too. I justify it by saying, well at least I don't gamble.

Nel

I had the hot stone massage. As much as I enjoyed the hot stone massage, I felt like a "slick as a pig" afterwards:eek::eek:. I had to take a shower when I got back to my cabin

Eva used moist warm cloths to finish. My skin was silky smooth and did not have any oil residue at all. I was slick as a pig during the hot stone massage, but soft and smooth as a baby afterwards.

-Marisa

Archived