seaweed/hot stone

zales

Has anyone tried any of these treatments and how was the experience;)

We were very recently on Reflection on a Carribean Cruise, it was heaven.

I have had the Seaweed treatment many times. It is a detoxifier, First they lay down a thermal foil blanket on the bed and you lie on it, then they scrub you down with a bristle brush, apply the seaweed goop, and then cover you up like a baked potato. It feels deliciously warm. You remain like that in a dim room for about 20 minutes, then the therapist helps you off the bed and into the shower where you wash off the goop.

By then she/he has changed the linen and you get back on the bed and have a wonderful massage. I love it. You are advised to drink a lot of water, and I was told not to drink alcohol or sunbathe. (Being on a Carribean cruise of course I did both) :p

I am not a big fan of the hot stone treatment. It is nice, but I'm left with the feeling, is that all there is to it? MEH!

The lime and honey scrub is also wonderful.

My husband just likes deep tissue massages, I go for the pampering treatments. Feel free to ask me about most of them.

Hope that helps a little.

A stone massage varies significantly with the skills of the therapist. It can be the best or the worst. Usually the staff are wel trained on ships, but not all are talented.

If you really want body work a seaweed wrap will not do. However it is a great body treatment if you want to put your budget there.

On a Solstice Thanksgiving cruise, I had two "deep tissue" massages by two different women. Was one fabulous, one was "just okay." I wish there was a way to exchange this kind of recommendation between cruisers. It seems too cruise/staff/time sensitive to be helpful.

I had always been skeptical of the hot stone massage due to all those pictures of stones just "perched" on someone's back. I finally had one and it was great. The masseuse sort of "palmed" the warm stones and they became warm, smooth extensions of her hands. It was very nice.

I think the earlier poster was exactly right by saying everyone is well-trained, but some of them are talented(or stronger or have a better work ethic.) Can anyone figure out a way to make it more than the "luck of the draw?"

They know who is good in the spa. Find someone who can talk and say, "I have had great and terrible---. Fill in the service you are interested in and ask who she would suggest using. A wise person will ask what you liked and didn't like to give you the best recommendation.

Another way to go is attend their comp massage sessions they set up and see if you click with a therapist. Sometimes there is a small fee.

I owned a spa and trained therapist for many years, it is possible to get what you want.

We were very recently on Reflection on a Carribean Cruise, it was heaven.

I have had the Seaweed treatment many times. It is a detoxifier, First they lay down a thermal foil blanket on the bed and you lie on it, then they scrub you down with a bristle brush, apply the seaweed goop, and then cover you up like a baked potato. It feels deliciously warm. You remain like that in a dim room for about 20 minutes, then the therapist helps you off the bed and into the shower where you wash off the goop.

By then she/he has changed the linen and you get back on the bed and have a wonderful massage. I love it. You are advised to drink a lot of water, and I was told not to drink alcohol or sunbathe. (Being on a Carribean cruise of course I did both) :p

I am not a big fan of the hot stone treatment. It is nice, but I'm left with the feeling, is that all there is to it? MEH!

The lime and honey scrub is also wonderful.

My husband just likes deep tissue massages, I go for the pampering treatments. Feel free to ask me about most of them.

Hope that helps a little.

Wow Guidance Lady you really broke it down, I am loving your description of the seaweed, it is nice to know exactly in steps what to expect :D I am new to all of this so I would love to hear your recommendations and esp about the lime and honey scrub, never heard of it:p

Excitedofharpenden, Hulamoon, BamaD, Maitlandmom, just wanted to thank you guys for your responses:cool: It sounds like hit or miss, but I like the idea of letting them know exactly what I want and don't want if I knew what that was:eek: I don't like massages because they always seem to hurt,:o but I do like the idea of hot stones, uugh this sounds like it may not be for me:(

Excitedofharpenden, Hulamoon, BamaD, Maitlandmom, just wanted to thank you guys for your responses:cool: It sounds like hit or miss, but I like the idea of letting them know exactly what I want and don't want if I knew what that was:eek: I don't like massages because they always seem to hurt,:o but I do like the idea of hot stones, uugh this sounds like it may not be for me:(

Since you said massages hurt...I thought I'd chime in.....the deep tissue style hurts me as well, I feel like I am being murdered......my ex-boyfriend who is a professional althele loved that type, so to each his own.

If you are sensitive, like me, you may not love the hot stone massage, Ithought they burned a little. I took the stone massage because in the pictures the stones are just sitting in a row on tha back and I thought it was like a pressure point thing..... Then she started rubbing them all over me and I was moving all over the table trying to get free..... Eventually we discussed it and she was able to coole the stones down a little so that they were not burning hot.......cool expreience but I think next time I might go the "baked potato route" as per Guidance Lady's recommendation:)

The hot stone is ok. But, my all time favorite is the ginger lime salt scrub and massage. Procedure is similar to the sea weed except they exfoliate you with the scrub and then you shower and get a massage. I have been known to have one first day of cruise and then again last day to head home on a pleasant note. May have to try the sea weed next time. It does sound very nice.

Linda

You are paying for body therapy. An experienced therapist usually gets pressure right. Why? Because she watches your body response and listens.

An inexperienced or not so talented therapist would not continue if a client was squirming all over the table. No pain no gain has been disproved. Only the feeling of release or it hurts good, or feels good should be experienced. Or fall asleep and drool, this is good too!

You must speak up and tell the therapist if they hurt you or you are uncomfortable.

You are the client, get what you pay for and do not hesitate to stop and switch treatments if it is not right for you. Say, this doesn't feel good to me and your therapist should adjust ASAP.

For me there is no better massage than a stone treatment in the right hands and no worse in the wrong hands. Stones should not burn! My goodness, this is when spas get sued.

Since you said massages hurt...I thought I'd chime in.....the deep tissue style hurts me as well, I feel like I am being murdered......my ex-boyfriend who is a professional althele loved that type, so to each his own.

If you are sensitive, like me, you may not love the hot stone massage, Ithought they burned a little. I took the stone massage because in the pictures the stones are just sitting in a row on tha back and I thought it was like a pressure point thing..... Then she started rubbing them all over me and I was moving all over the table trying to get free..... Eventually we discussed it and she was able to coole the stones down a little so that they were not burning hot.......cool expreience but I think next time I might go the "baked potato route" as per Guidance Lady's recommendation:)

I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one:rolleyes: What an experience:eek:, yes I too am leaning toward the infamous baked potato route, lol:D

The hot stone is ok. But, my all time favorite is the ginger lime salt scrub and massage. Procedure is similar to the sea weed except they exfoliate you with the scrub and then you shower and get a massage. I have been known to have one first day of cruise and then again last day to head home on a pleasant note. May have to try the sea weed next time. It does sound very nice.

Linda

Thank You for the description:cool:

I did both on Reflection, and both were great! The seaweed was the best. My massage therapist, Sheila, was the best I've ever had anywhere, land or sea! As others have mentioned, there are products that are sold with every treatment, and I'm a big sucker for them. If you say no, they will not give you a hard time. I do think they make much of their income on commission from product sales. That said, I actually have loved every over-priced bottle of whatever I have ever bought from the Elemis line. They are truly nice products, and I always enjoy using them.

You sound like me. Maybe I'll change my tag to Baked Potato:D

What is it with men, my husband rates his therapists according to how much they pounded him. They are usually tiny women too. I just don't like pain I guess.

I like being a baked potato. I can't remember where I had it but I also love the lavender scrubs. The best seaweed scrub I had was at the Breakers where they have Vichy showers over the beds, and you feel like you're going through the car wash. wow.

Guidance Lady, speaking of the lavender scrubs, one thing I really enjoyed on Reflection was something they called the DIY body scrub, in the persian gardens. For about $50, you purchase a set of 5 body scrubs with a loofah mitt. You can choose any combination of 5 scents they have available. The best one is the lavender-herb. It smells divinely like a combination of fresh lavender and maybe rosemary? You take them into the hamam, the warm steam room, and do your body scrub in there. It was just wonderful. And less $ than the body scrub treatment...although you don't get the massage. Makes your skin look, feel, and smell wonderful.

I did both on Reflection, and both were great! The seaweed was the best. My massage therapist, Sheila, was the best I've ever had anywhere, land or sea! As others have mentioned, there are products that are sold with every treatment, and I'm a big sucker for them. If you say no, they will not give you a hard time. I do think they make much of their income on commission from product sales. That said, I actually have loved every over-priced bottle of whatever I have ever bought from the Elemis line. They are truly nice products, and I always enjoy using them.

Thank You, I am leaning towards the seaweed, as for the DIY scrub sounds like an excellent idea:cool:

Has anyone tried any of these treatments and how was the experience;)

I did the ginger-lime scrub, showered, then got the hot stone massage. DIVINE !!!

I'll cruise to SPA !!!!

Eclipse 4/6 to 4/20 charged $144 or $164 for me to use the Persian Garden, thermal rooms, and relaxation room unlimited for the full cruise. We did not book AquaClass so did not dine in Blu.

-Marisa

I have gotten a Hot Stone Massage on every cruise for at least 10 years. In the beginning they were always wonderful...but the last two or three have been only OK. I am thinking I may not get one on the next cruise. They are expensive, and when they were heavenly it was worth it, but now I am rethinking if the value is even close to there with my last few. I might try something else next cruise. They were offering a Bamboo massage on our last cruise and I was thinking of having one...maybe it's time for something different.

I have gotten a Hot Stone Massage on every cruise for at least 10 years. In the beginning they were always wonderful...but the last two or three have been only OK. I am thinking I may not get one on the next cruise. They are expensive, and when they were heavenly it was worth it, but now I am rethinking if the value is even close to there with my last few. I might try something else next cruise. They were offering a Bamboo massage on our last cruise and I was thinking of having one...maybe it's time for something different.

I saw the bamboo sticks and they kind of scared me, do they play chops sticks on your back. I'd love to hear from someone who had it.

Guidance Lady, speaking of the lavender scrubs, one thing I really enjoyed on Reflection was something they called the DIY body scrub, in the persian gardens. For about $50, you purchase a set of 5 body scrubs with a loofah mitt. You can choose any combination of 5 scents they have available. The best one is the lavender-herb. It smells divinely like a combination of fresh lavender and maybe rosemary? You take them into the hamam, the warm steam room, and do your body scrub in there. It was just wonderful. And less $ than the body scrub treatment...although you don't get the massage. Makes your skin look, feel, and smell wonderful.

That sounds really nice. We had something similar at the Caesar spa in Vegas. My husband and I went into a small Arabian Nights Mosaic tiled room with 2 seats, we were instructed to apply the"MUDs" in a certain sequence, then to breathe deeply for the steam to penetrate. It was nice to slather each other with the different MUDs. We stayed around 30 minutes, Then we showered off, I think my husband had a massage, can't remember. Anyway I will try it on Reflection. When you are in the Hamam are you alone or sharing with other people.?

The Hamam sounds a lot like what you were in at Caesar's palace. There are other people in there, co-Ed, but it doesn't seem weird when you are in there. You are in a being suite, so all covered. If you want to get the other areas, you can finish scrubbing in the shower of the ladies' changing room. We did like you said, scrubbed, en sat in the steam with the aroma of lavender and herbs all around us in the steam, and feeling like it was penetrating Into the skin. Then rinsed. There is a shower built into the corner of the Hamam. Beware, the scrub is coarse salt, so if you have any open wounds - owie! I had scraped my foot snorkeling, and I realized it the minute the salt hit it!

Archived