First 2 week cruise, some questions

Cathygh

Hi

We are off in a few weeks for our first 2 weeker on Oceana, just done 2 short breaks before.

I am now starting to think about excursions. Is it better to book before we go? Will prices change?

Also if I don't like the dinner menu, will they cook something different? I have been in hotels and restaurants where they have obliged with this. Obviously it is something I hope I don't have to ask for but only so I don't go hungry. I have checked out the alternatives ( Horizon Grill & Cafe Jardin) & I would not chose anything from there & do not want to eat in a buffet in the evening.

Finally, our cabin has a shower but on medical grounds it is better for me to have a bath for a skin condition which has been ok but has just decided to flare up. I had hoped I could cope with showers for 2 weeks. I find it very embarassing so don't want to go into detail here. Is there a bath I can use eg in the spa? I need to add oils etc to the water & soak for 10-15 minutes, partly for y skin to get the benefit but also so I can relax as this also helps. I hope so otherwise I mught need to cancel!

Many thanks

Cathy

On food they will always provide chicken, steak or i think) salmon as an alternative to what is on the dinner menu.

I am doubtful about baths in the spa -- it might be with your talking directly with P and O..

We have enjoyed Oceania, particularly Cafe Jardin.

Call P&O and try and get a change of cabin. Of course this may involve a few more pounds to your bill but if it makes the difference between going or not then obviously a no brainer.

But if you definitely need a bath then you need an upgrade - of that there is no doubt.

I would think that the dinner menu should offer enough variety for you to find something that you like. If something is written as coming with a sauce and you would prefer it without the sauce they will gladly do that for you. Otherwise you can always ask if you can have a plain grilled chicken - or whatever else they can do. You will find they will try as hard as possible to make sure you get something you will enjoy - just ask - you must ask, don't just look at the menu and think that there's nothing there. If necessary speak to the head waiter, but hopefully you will find something you like.

As far as a bath is concerned, I too doubt very much that you would be able to use anywhere in the spa. I too have a skin condition so I know the problem. I think you should phone P&O as soon as possible and it may be that you have to upgrade to a cabin with a bath. I hope you have a great time.:)

I will go with what everyone else has said on here.

If there is nothing you fancy eating always ask the waiter. Maybe if you liked one of the starters you could have a bigger version of that as a main...

Ref the bath, yes if your cabin has a shower you would need to upgrade (at quite a cost) to a cabin with a bath...looking at pandos website you have to go right up to a mini suite to get a bath. If you did upgrade the price would be based on what a mini suite was when you booked your cabin, not what a mini suite may be on sale for now....:(

You could try talking direct to pando customer services and explaining your problem, but don't hold your breath. Sorry.

With regard to excursions - the price can go up on board (I've seen this happen). Those most popular excursions often get booked up early anyway, and may not be available to book on board (you could get added to a wait list).

So I'd advise that if there are any ship excursions you really want to go on, book them before you go (as soon as possible). That way you won't be disappointed if they are full when you board.

I agree with everybody else's comments on the bath, I'm afraid it would be an upgrade. Based on our trip on Arcadia in November 2012 they no longer offer plain chicken/steak/fish as an alternative to what is on the menu - I asked and that's what I was told. Yes, you can ask for slight variations on the menu e.g. no sauce, or larger portions of a starter but not anything else......sorry.

Gill

We were on Azura last week and although there wasn't a choice of the plain chicken, salmon and steak listed on the menu it does say that a selection of lighter starters and Main courses are available, please ask your waiter.

We didn't actually try them but they were very helpful if you wanted things not quite as the menu stated.

Having sailed with a few different companies over the last few years, we thought the food on this cruise was much better,

Archived