Haines - Gold Rush Excursions

karatemom2

We have a very long port day in Haines this summer and since my husband enjoys the Discovery Channel show "Gold Rush" I'm considering one of the excursions that goes to either Porcupine Creek or Big Nugget outside of Haines. Since these are rather new excursions there is not much in the way of reviews yet, although the reviews I have seen are very good. Just thought I would ask the question here to see if anyone has done one of these tours and if so what comments you might have.

I actually drove to the Porcupine area last year. What does this tour include? They were NOT mining there any longer, and the roads, got rougher and rougher. :) My nephews really enjoyed seeing, what they had already seen on tv.

Sounds like it may become a "Deadliest Catch" spin off tour operation?

I will speculate, they may, just set up a "fake" area, since, it would not be known by people, where actually you are.

karatemom2- I've been looking into these "Gold Rush" tours for awhile now, and have been following a blog "Hainesalaskatourguide" blog spot by Holly Jo, who works as a guide for Rainbow Glacier Adventures. They do provide tours to the Big Nugget Mine and to Porcupine; and have for the past couple of years. Holly Jo hasn't posted on her blog since February, but if you scroll thru the blog for the past 2 years you will see photos and descriptions of the tour - many pictures with Parker Schnable and his grandpa John at the Big Nugget Mine. Seems this year they will be touring Porcupine only with the opportunity to see Dakota Fred in action (ugh:rolleyes: - give me Parker any time! :D). Click on the link to Rainbow Glacier Adventures and you can see all the tours they offer in the Haines area and

"meet" their guides, including Holly Jo.

If you do go on this tour, please come back here and let us know how it was and what you thought of it. It sounds like fun to me, and I'd love to try it in the future.

Thanks for the blog information, I will check that out. Holly Jo is the guide mentioned on the tripadvisor review. Definitely would prefer Big Nugget and the Schnabels, but I have a soft spot for Dakota Fred as well. I will definitely report back if we end up doing the tour. We are really excited to have such a nice long day in Haines.

Thanks for the blog information, I will check that out. Holly Jo is the guide mentioned on the tripadvisor review. Definitely would prefer Big Nugget and the Schnabels, but I have a soft spot for Dakota Fred as well. I will definitely report back if we end up doing the tour. We are really excited to have such a nice long day in Haines.

I looked into this excursion, but Parker is no longer mining Big Nugget, he moved to the klondike to find more gold, so no tours go there any more :(

All that is available this year is Dakota Fred...bummer, but it is still part of gold rush, just no longer worth it for us

Well bad news for me. I got a response from Rainbow Glacier Adventures and they are not offering the tour on the day we are there. With the Grand Princess docked in Haines they will be fully booked with the four tours they are providing through Princess Shore Excursions that day and it appears they are the only company offering the tour. So I guess it won't work out this time. Bummer!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Was hoping to get a first hand account from you for future reference. I'm sure you'll find something else to your liking in Haines - I'm so intriqued by that port that I'd like to spend several days there on a land only trip in the future....God willing and the creek don't rise;)!

Archived