need Seattle advice

We're arriving in Vancouver after our cruise. Planning on taking Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle in the evening. We arrive in Seattle after 10 PM.

I'm not at all familar with the city. I'm looking for a hotel that will be:

1) close enought to the station so it will be an inexpensive cab ride

2) walking distance to Pike Place Market so we can check it out in the AM

3) close to the light rail so we can take the train to the airport

(for an early afternoon flight)

Does such a place exist? thanks for any suggestions!

edit: WHY are hotels sooooo expensive in Seattle????

We are doing the exact same thing in a few weeks and staying here:

La Quinta Inn & Suites

2224 8th Ave

Seattle, WA 98121

1-206-624-6820

Everything in Seattle is fairly close, but this hotel seems to be in the middle for an affordable price. We haven't stayed there before, but it got good reviews.

We've stayed there - it's very new, quite fancy for a LQ, and a very short walk to one of our favourite Seattle restos, Mistral. Close to a light rail stop which will take you down to Westlake Centre (end of the LINK line), 1.5 miles to AMTRAK station. Almost a mile down to the Market, which isn't bad on the way down but depressingly uphill on the way back with a full tum - take a cab back to the hotel unless you're in better shape than I am;-)

we have reservations for mid-June at the Mayflower Hotel. It is supposed to right next to the light rail station and close to Pike Market. It get very high ratings on the hotel booking sites. Seattle is a new town for us, so I am not an authority!!

Good luck!

we have reservations for mid-June at the Mayflower Hotel. It is supposed to right next to the light rail station and close to Pike Market. It get very high ratings on the hotel booking sites. Seattle is a new town for us, so I am not an authority!!

Good luck!

Yep, good location, and you might even get a view. I know this because I work in the building next to, its about 20 feet from where im sitting right now...

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, the Mayflower and Hyatt are closer to what you asked for than La Quinta and being in the middle of Seattle and being able to walk to Pike Place and the waterfront is a wonderful experience. I lived downtown for 2 years and loved parking the car for the weekend and just walking everywhere.

Can anyone tell me if Embassy Suites Seattle - Bellevue (3225 158th Ave SE) is a good place (regarding the location) to stay?

If you want to be close to most of the tourist 'big hits' no - Bellevue is across a lake from downtown' date=' c. 11 miles, and the I90 is a major commuter road so even if you have a car you'll have to deal with traffic & then parking.

Assuming you want to stay in the Hilton family, there are many more conveniently-located hotels (although undoubtedly pricier) downtown.

Personally I stay near the Space Needle - the Maxwell Hotel is our fave, but there's also a Hampton Inn with good reviews, plenty of nice restos in Queen Anne and other adjoining neighbourhoods, of course the whole space needle/science centre/key arena/theatres/park complex is right there.

It's a pretty easy walk downtown (a mile and a half to SAM or Pike Place market) avoiding the really steep hills, and I've never had to pay more than $10 for a cab back from downtown if I'm feeling lazy.

Of course if you're planning to go out of town (especially east to Snoqualmie) it might be an ideal location for you...

Archived