First time cruiser questions

So I will be sailing the Oasis of the Seas in August and instead of posting a thread each time I have a question I decided to just make one giant thread. Sorry if this is a bit excessive, kinda excited!

1. Me and 3 other people will be driving down from Boston to Florida for the cruise, are there any good and safe places to park? I heard that you can park at the airport or something, but I have heard stories where people's cars get broken in to and tires being stolen.

2. I booked a room on Deck 14 room 14292, Superior Oceanview with Balcony AFT. I was wondering if people would prefer being higher up or lower to enjoy the ocean view? Also, how is the noise level if anyone knows?

3. Are pools and Jacuzzi open and working 24 hours? So if I wanted a late night swim, would I be able to?

4. Labadee, Haiti zip lining for 90$? Worth it? What are labaduzees? Are they really that good? And where can I find them after getting off the ship?

5. How does MDR work? Are you able to order as many appetizers/entrees as you like? Can I order one of everything (doesn't mean I would, just wondering :D)

6. Are there any good excursions you would recommend at Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel?

7. The TV in our room, is there a HDMI plug that I can plug my laptop into?

8. Am I allowed to bring snacks on board the ship?

I was trying to reach 10 questions, but I really can't think of any of top my head right now, so I'll go with these for now :p Thanks to everyone that answers! :D

I can't speak for your ship itself because we haven't been on the Oasis, but all ships have Plugs in for Lap tops, chargers, etc. In regards to MTD, you can make reservations for a particular time and request the same table if you like, you can order whatever you want off the menu and if your hungry enough, request a 2nd meal. There are no life guards on duty and am sure the pools will shut down after a certain time. I have not seen people using the pools later in the evening. I will let others speak on behalf of the ship itself.

In regards to your cruise, be sure and fill out your Set sail pass as you will need this to board along with a Photo ID, Credit Card. Log unto RCL you should see your booking #, then fill out your Online check in. this will include general information, Passport information emergency contacts. Once final payment is made, you will be able to print it out and from your documents once they are ready, your luggage tags or get them at the port. You can also look over the tours and pre book them, shows.

So I will be sailing the Oasis of the Seas in August and instead of posting a thread each time I have a question I decided to just make one giant thread. Sorry if this is a bit excessive, kinda excited!

1. Me and 3 other people will be driving down from Boston to Florida for the cruise, are there any good and safe places to park? I heard that you can park at the airport or something, but I have heard stories where people's cars get broken in to and tires being stolen.

Can't help you on this one.

2. I booked a room on Deck 14 room 14292, Superior Oceanview with Balcony AFT. I was wondering if people would prefer being higher up or lower to enjoy the ocean view? Also, how is the noise level if anyone knows?

Generally the higher up doesn't matter on the view you have on that class of ship. It can on other classes however.

3. Are pools and Jacuzzi open and working 24 hours? So if I wanted a late night swim, would I be able to?

There is typically one hot tub and pool open 24 hours. There are a few exceptions to this such as maintenance and what not

4. Labadee, Haiti zip lining for 90$? Worth it? What are labaduzees? Are they really that good? And where can I find them after getting off the ship?

Don't know about the zip line. Labaduzees (or Coco Locos) are a frozen strawberry, coconut frozen drink. They come "virgin" and the server will pour rum in it for you. You can find them at any bar, and there will also be servers that wonder around that will have them for you.

5. How does MDR work? Are you able to order as many appetizers/entrees as you like? Can I order one of everything (doesn't mean I would, just wondering :D)

Order as much or as little as you like. I have never tried to order one of everything, but have been known to order a couple of apps, and desserts when it sounded good.

6. Are there any good excursions you would recommend at Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel?

There are separate port of call boards. There is a ton of information that should give you a general idea of what is out there. If you have more specific questions just ask.

Labadee

Falmouth

Cozumel

All inputs on the TV have been disabled. This is the general feel around these boards, I cannot speak from experience.

You can bring any pre-packaged food items you wish.

I was trying to reach 10 questions, but I really can't think of any of top my head right now, so I'll go with these for now :p Thanks to everyone that answers! :D

Enjoy the start of your cruising addiction!

In Falmouth I recommend the Dunn's river falls (if you are somewhat active) or the river tubing. Cozumel the Playa Mia beach excursions are good and we also enjoyed the San Gervasio Mayan ruins

Are you planning to arrive in Florida a day before the cruise? If so, there are many hotels that offer free parking for the duration of the cruise with just one night stay prior to the cruise.

I've done this in Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale and it works out great. Usually they have free (or small fee) shuttles to and from the port.

Do a google (or other seach) for 'Park and cruise'.

Are you planning to arrive in Florida a day before the cruise? If so, there are many hotels that offer free parking for the duration of the cruise with just one night stay prior to the cruise.

I've done this in Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale and it works out great. Usually they have free (or small fee) shuttles to and from the port.

Do a google (or other seach) for 'Park and cruise'.

I'm still debating if I should go there a day earlier, because I will be driving straight from Boston to Florida, no stopping...except for bathroom breaks and refilling gas. I will be doing all the driving as well since no one knows how to drive stick shift. Therefore, I'll probably be pretty tired.

Thanks for all the great responses!

1. Me and 3 other people will be driving down from Boston to Florida for the cruise, are there any good and safe places to park? I heard that you can park at the airport or something, but I have heard stories where people's cars get broken in to and tires being stolen. We like Park n Go. Very easy, quick, and lots of vans at the ship the last day to pick you up. Have used them 2x already and will use them every time we go out of FLL

5. How does MDR work? Are you able to order as many appetizers/entrees as you like? Can I order one of everything (doesn't mean I would, just wondering :D) You can order whatever you want. My hubby many times orders more than one App like the shrimp cocktail or scallops and such.

8. Am I allowed to bring snacks on board the ship?yes, I always take FF Pringles, pretzals and mixed nuts when we cruise. No issue at all.

I will answer what I can. See above

I think you got most of the answers I could help with but just will add, you can definitely order more than 1 appetizer, etc in the dining room, my DH always does.

As for bringing snacks on board yes you can, but make sure they are pre-packaged items. Fresh fruit, and other similar items are not allowed I believe due to customs regulations.

I still haven't gotten the answer as to whether the zip lining at Labadee, Haiti is worth the 90$? Anyone that tried it care to share their opinion? :)

You should read the Labadee (Private Islands) port of call board. There are many threads already running about the zip line.

I still haven't gotten the answer as to whether the zip lining at Labadee, Haiti is worth the 90$? Anyone that tried it care to share their opinion? :)

I haven't done it myself, but I treated my son to it last year. He said it was great but wouldn't do it again due to the cost. Unlike traditional zip lines, this is just one extremely long zip over the water.

You can check out YouTube and see videos taken by the participants as they zip down. Perhaps that will help you decide if it is worth your time and $$.

Happy sails!

Several in our group tried it last November in Liberty. As I recall, they all thought it was worth it once, but probably would not repeat it because of the price.

Both beauty and worth are in the eyes of the beholder;):D. Now that disclaimer is out of the way, I have ridden the Labadee zip and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I would say it was worth the $$. In all honestly I probably won't do it again anytime real soon because of the price. The whole affair with all the safety briefings, practice ride on the short zip, you are occupied for a hour or so. While the bobsled where you can ride multiple times for a price which is higher than a single ride..... so if they did that for the zip the multiple ride price would have to even pricier:eek:! In a practical sense there may not be the capacity to accommodate the number of people who would want another zip along with the regular one time riders.

I figure it is only $3.46/ft!! You can just feel the money being vacuumed out of bank account.... but it's fun.

I would suggest the roller coaster instead of the zip line. If you wait until you get off the boat you can get an unlimited ride pass for $40, and that pass allows two people to ride ("driver" and passenger, but they don't enforce who sits where unless there is a large size difference).

Labadoozies are very easy to find. There will be waiters with large trays of them screaming "La-ba-DO-zie!" everywhere you go.

Also make sure to take the path out to the Dragon's Breath rock. You can find the path near the landing pad for the zip line. Interesting rock formations (including a rock shaped like a dragon's head), great views, and a pool of water where a natural underwater cave makes breathing sounds that give the Dragon's Breath its name.

Archived