New Orleans family hotel near attractions

mpcaruth

I am hoping someone can let me know if I am going down the right track. We are a family of 4 with an 11 and 12 year old. We are driving to new Orleans and we will only have one day to spend in New Orleans before the cruise. I have a few items on my wish list:

• A uniquely New Orleans hotel located in a family friendly, walk-able area. (yet inexpensive)
  • Take a riverboat cruise during the day
  • Take the ferry in the evening to see the city lights
  • eat an authentic Po Boy sandwich (cheesy, I know)

So I am thinking about booking the County Inn and Suites on Magazine Street near Harrahs for $129 plus $25 parking. From this hotel, it appears we can walk to restaurants, streetcar stops, the ferry, and the steamboat tours. is this correct? Is the walk safe? We will have 24 hours in New Orleans and I want to get a good family-friendly taste of the City.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

we almost stayed at Country inn last month but the price was almost double what you are paying

It is a few blocks from the ferry and riverboat. It gets great reviews. I think you are making a good choice. I would stay there if the price was low

• 2 weeks later...

Canal street is a good location, walkable to aquarium and the French quarter. Street cars and buses all pick up on canal street or near it so a good location for getting around if you wanted to head to the zoo or any other place.

Another place we stayed that gets great review here is The Drury Inn but it is farther away from Canal but on the street car line. ( About three blocks). They include an afternoon "kickback" with food and happy hour. I choose them because they had larger rooms then most of the hotels in New Orleans.

Try Priceline, we stayed at InterContinental and Marriott for less then 135.00.

Priceline will not guarantee the rooms will accommodate more than two guests. I have used it in the past, but the last time I used Priceline, we had to have 3 in a king and a roll away for the 4 of us. Sometimes I use Hotwire, as it seems easier to figure out which hotel you will be getting. But since I am looking for a very specific type of hotel, I went ahead and booked directly with the hotel. By booking early, we got a room with a window facing the main street.

The Place d'Armes Hotel in the french quarter has a lot of charm, is in a safe area and is affordable for the area. Everything that you want to do is walkable from the hotel.

You would need to check that the bed arrangements would suit your family of four.

A stay here would give you an authentic "NOLA" experience.

I second the Place d'Armes.... Stayed there 3 times before, and will be staying there again in October. The hotel is at one of the corners of Jackson Square, which has plenty of things to keep kids entertained. Also is an easy walk to the aquarium, from there too.

Archived