Best evening meal in Honolulu

Beachdude

Aloha All

Sally and I are arriving a day early before the cruise to enjoy Honolulu. We are staying at the Disney resort, but we are open to suggestions to a good Honolulu dinner somewhere else on the island. What is your favorite?

Hahalo

Burt

Aloha All

Sally and I are arriving a day early before the cruise to enjoy Honolulu. We are staying at the Disney resort, but we are open to suggestions to a good Honolulu dinner somewhere else on the island. What is your favorite?

Hahalo

Burt

Funky little hole-in-the-wall called Local Boy's (on Democrat St. on the way to/from the airport but closes about 2 p.m., great for lunch...good Yelp reviews but mostly unknown to tourists)

Fancy schmancy splurge meal, closer to where you are staying, Roy's Hawai'i Kai, get there early, around 5 or 5:30, romantic sunset views and wonderful service and cuisine. DH who doesn't do finned fin, was in hog heaven with either the short ribs or steak while I adored each and every morsel put forth.

We had a chance to meet the Chef/Owner, very personable. Happy Hour and apps, again same time of day (called Pau Hana in the Islands, literally stop work), if more on a budget.

If money not an issue and in Waikiki, Hy's Steakhouse is where locals go for their own celebratory meals ;)

For a sophisticated cocktail hour and outdoor dinner , I would recommend the Halekulani hotel . The outdoor lounge called "House without a Key" is where you can watch the sunset and listen to a live Hawaiian sound trio and hula dancer . On Tuesdays and Thursdays they have a bbq dinner roasted over Hawaii's native kiawe wood .

For a 5 star dinner and impeccable service , La Mer is outstanding .Overlooking the ocean the views are sublime .Food menus are a gastronomic sensation .This is the only 5 star rated restaurant in Honolulu .

http://www.halekulani.com/living/dining/

Burt (and Sally) -

Are you just spending the one night at the Disney resort? What time does your plane land? Your body clock will be 4 or 5 hours ahead of the local time. (7pm will feel like 11pm in the winter and midnight in the summer.)

In addition, it's about a 45 minute drive each way to Waikiki.

That being said, I did a little research and found that there is now a Roy's in Ko O'lina. I haven't eaten at that one, but the food and atmosphere was Great at the Hawaii Kai locaton. ( http://royshawaii.com/)

If you're thinking of doing a luau, the Paradise Cove luau is just down the street from your hotel. When I go there, I spend a little extra for the deluxe package, which gets you closer to the stage show, and table service versus going up to the buffet line. (The food's the same.)

Aloha,

John

For a 5 star dinner and impeccable service , La Mer is outstanding .Overlooking the ocean the views are sublime .Food menus are a gastronomic sensation .This is the only 5 star rated restaurant in Honolulu .

http://www.halekulani.com/living/dining/

We have reservations at La Mer on May 3rd - CANNOT wait! :D

Well you have very good taste if you're dining at La Mer . I have dined there about 5 or 6 times and it is always very memorable . They have a new aperitif bar before your enter the dining room with some fabulously creative drinks . You can hear the Hawaii music from " House without a key" .

Another hidden gem is John Dominos , they ripped down the old place and have built a new building . This restaurant is famous for seafood and the view is spectacular looking towards Diamond Head

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/Biting-Commentary/September-2012/The-new-John-Dominis-53-By-The-Sea/

Burt (and Sally) -

Are you just spending the one night at the Disney resort? What time does your plane land? Your body clock will be 4 or 5 hours ahead of the local time. (7pm will feel like 11pm in the winter and midnight in the summer.)

In addition, it's about a 45 minute drive each way to Waikiki.

That being said, I did a little research and found that there is now a Roy's in Ko O'lina. I haven't eaten at that one, but the food and atmosphere was Great at the Hawaii Kai locaton. ( http://royshawaii.com/)

If you're thinking of doing a luau, the Paradise Cove luau is just down the street from your hotel. When I go there, I spend a little extra for the deluxe package, which gets you closer to the stage show, and table service versus going up to the buffet line. (The food's the same.)

Aloha,

John

John is so correct. Disney's Aulani is "really" far out from town, especially with the time difference. Are you planning on checking in and then driving back to town? What time do you arrive? Roy's has a great Happy Hour and prices are very good.

If you are planning on dining in town then making the drive out to Ko O'lina after the rush hour traffic, I would either enjoy sunset at Halekulani or dine at the Side Street Inn in Kapahulu (outside of Waikiki).

Renee (displace local girl)

• 1 month later...

Archived