Screening of carry ons

Briitini

How does the screening of carry ons go? if they see a bottle of alcohol or something potentially prohibited do they take you aside and make you empty your purse or do they just ask you what you have? This is for Miami.

How does the screening of carry ons go? if they see a bottle of alcohol or something potentially prohibited do they take you aside and make you empty your purse or do they just ask you what you have? This is for Miami.

In our experience, they've pulled people aside and searched carry-ons when something questionable is found. Sometimes they just search everyone's carry-ons anyway as well as x-raying them, it really depends on the port and mood of the people working it. We gave up smuggling long ago, several folks in our travel groups have gotten caught either at the port or on the ship and called to the 'naughty room'.

Generally when they see something that looks like a bottle or liquid, they will pull you aside. They will ask you to stand there while they open your bag; they will make sure that your bottles of wine are sealed (I am assuming you are bringing wine on board), any soda or water will also be checked and often shaken to be certain that it is sealed.

If they find anything differently or if you are over the limit; they will take it at that time - we always carryon our bottles of wine/champagne and tonic water and we never get through without someone pulling us aside

i have a pack of 4 ocean spray spritzer drinks.. like little cans.. also a pack of 6 sport bottles from zephyrills and a bottle of the flavored carbonated water

As long as they have not been open you'll be fine

We always order a bottle of vodka from Bon Voyage and then carryon cranberry juice (the small 4 packs) and tonic water - we also bring a few sodas..........you'll be fine :)

Generally when they see something that looks like a bottle or liquid, they will pull you aside. They will ask you to stand there while they open your bag; they will make sure that your bottles of wine are sealed (I am assuming you are bringing wine on board), any soda or water will also be checked and often shaken to be certain that it is sealed.

If they find anything differently or if you are over the limit; they will take it at that time - we always carryon our bottles of wine/champagne and tonic water and we never get through without someone pulling us aside

And they make you feel as though you have a bomb or something in your bag!!! Just got off Liberty yesterday and had non-alcoholic beverages in our carry-ons during embarkation in Miami. They send you over to the table, the guy there tells you to "stand right there, do not touch anything and do not come any closer"!!!! My husband was behind me and so when the guy was finished with my bag I stood off to the side to wait for him but the guy told me (in a pretty stern voice) to continue on up the escalator. I don't know if the guy was on a power trip or if that's the way they handle all bag searches - but I sure thought it was a bit extreme considering the worst it could be was alcohol mixed in the containers!!!

And they make you feel as though you have a bomb or something in your bag!!! Just got off Liberty yesterday and had non-alcoholic beverages in our carry-ons during embarkation in Miami. They send you over to the table, the guy there tells you to "stand right there, do not touch anything and do not come any closer"!!!! My husband was behind me and so when the guy was finished with my bag I stood off to the side to wait for him but the guy told me (in a pretty stern voice) to continue on up the escalator. I don't know if the guy was on a power trip or if that's the way they handle all bag searches - but I sure thought it was a bit extreme considering the worst it could be was alcohol mixed in the containers!!!

We had someone like that last January; we were traveling with four in our group - he made me stand there and told everyone else to proceed up the escalator; then when I had four bottles of champagne he questioned why I had so many........ahhhh, you just sent them up the escalator - he did not appreciate my humor :)

I guess I would rather have an over zealous rent a cop than someone who didn't care :eek:

bringing cranberry juice to mix with our bon voyage alcohol, should we just carry it in our hands in a bag instead of throwing it in the carryon?

Everything has to go through the security scanner so it really doesn't matter - in our carryon, we have no personal items, just the juices, tonic water etc.

I guess if you are bringing other items, you may want to keep the liquids separate so they don't open the other bag

We just got off the Freedom from Fort Lauderdale yesterday and our carryons were checked when we boarded. We had 4 sealed water bottles that were shaken. We also had 6 Pepsi bottles that were removed from the plastic and inspected. This was the first time any of our bottles have ever been checked.

How do they do body scanning at the ports? Is it only metal detectors or do they use the full body scanners like the airports have? Would wearing a colostomy bag present an embarrassing situation for an older relative?

~Sinusoid~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that's not the worst it could have been. Sorry he knew that and you didn't.

Is there a limit to the carry on bags? There are a few things I don't want to check just in case along with the wine and sodas. My fiance and I are probably going to just check in one bag each, but might have 2 bags each (smaller) for carryon.

As long as they will fit through the scanner you can take as many as you want but keep in mind unless you are Platinum or have purchased FTTF you will be dragging all that stuff around with you until the rooms are ready @ 1:30

How do they do body scanning at the ports? Is it only metal detectors or do they use the full body scanners like the airports have? Would wearing a colostomy bag present an embarrassing situation for an older relative?

~Sinusoid~

I am interested in this answer as well.

~Sinusoid~

You walk through the metal detectors. If you beep, they wand you. I have both hips & both shoulders replaced so I do beep.

~Sinusoid~

Only if it wasn't clean. It's not metal so it won't set anything off. You just walk through the U shaped machine. If you alarm they wand you.

Ecigs batteries alarm.

Archived