Live Music On NCL

cruiser9800

Do you enjoy live music and bands on ships  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy live music and bands on ships

• I love it and it makes a difference
    • I don't like live music or care for bands

On a recent RCI cruise, the cruise director went on for a few minutes about how RCI values live entertainment and music instead of just having piped in music or DJs.

It's true. We used to cruise both lines, and since Carnival made extreme cutbacks in live music, we and many others we know stopped cruising the line. The live music on decks, during shows, and throughout the ship makes for a upbeat, energetic, fun, and special vacation.

Carnival has cut live music from shows. They also cut live music from the lido. Each ship at most has a 4 piece band, a duo or trio, and a piano player. Djs don't count as live music - I have an ipod at home and it is a totally different and lame environment.

RCI has a 4 piece reggae deck band, 10 piece show band, two 4 piece ship bands, 2 duos, and several soloists. 20+ musicians per ship.

The little things make big differences, and it not only shows but many people we know realize it and have stopped cruising Carnival.

What is the current live music like on NCL? If it's something that valued and is good and plentiful, we may try princess in the near future.

Edited by cruiser9800

On a recent RCI cruise, the cruise director went on for a few minutes about how RCI values live entertainment and music instead of just having piped in music or DJs.

It's true. We used to cruise both lines, and since Carnival made extreme cutbacks in live music, we and many others we know stopped cruising the line. The live music on decks, during shows, and throughout the ship makes for a upbeat, energetic, fun, and special vacation.

Carnival has cut live music from shows. They also cut live music from the lido. Each ship at most has a 4 piece band, a duo or trio, and a piano player. Djs don't count as live music - I have an ipod at home and it is a totally different and lame environment.

RCI has a 4 piece reggae deck band, 10 piece show band, two 4 piece ship bands, 2 duos, and several soloists. 20+ musicians per ship.

The little things make big differences, and it not only shows but many people we know realize it and have stopped cruising Carnival.

What is the current live music like on NCL? If it's something that valued and is good and plentiful, we may try princess in the near future.

So if the music is good on ncl you will try princess? Hughhhhh????

*Meant to say NCL

-Posted similar threads on NCL and Princess

Been sticking with RCL since Carnival cut back on live music, but would be open to NCL and Princess if they still invest in and have not cut back in live music.

*Meant to say NCL

Been sticking with RCL since Carnival cut back on live music, but would be open to NCL and Princess if they still invest in and have not cut back in live music.

NCL and Princess both have very good music and I will add that Carnival does also.

I cannot comment on RCL because I have no desire to downgrade my cruising experience.

Edited by swedish weave

I love the live music on NCL. Love listening to the reggae band playing by the pool....just adds to the tropical experience. I also have listened to other bands throughout the ships. All are very good.

NCL has great music. The only thing I can remember about music on Princess is the string quartet (or trio in one instance) in the Atrium during dinner.

String quartet:eek: just the thing to send me in the opposite direction!

Now that you mention it, there did used to be a live band in the orchestra pits for the stage shows back in the day! Can't say that I miss them. Would much rather have a good singing group, guitarist or piano player at various places in the ship.

NCL does have some good entertainment. RCI's was not bad either.

*Meant to say NCL

NCL is pretty good at providing live entertainment. They still have live pool deck entertainment and other live musicians throughout the ship. They have not cheapened their product to the Carnival level.

We sailed RCI Explorer of the Seas and it was THE WORST live music ever. It is the first and only time I have put my ipod in my ears when the pool "reggae" band was on - and at night - dearie me - atrocious does not nearly describe how poor their live music was. Worst of all our cruise experiences - EVER!

Totally NOT impressed with Royal Caribbean and wont cruise again with them... goes into the same garbage bucket as P&O cruises - been there done that wont be back for more.

Live music to us is paramount. Hoping NCL deliver as well not as they did on our first cruise with them back in 2000 - fingers xd!

What really sets NCL apart, IMO, is not just that live music is plentiful, it's the musical quality of the offerings. A lot of it isn't the typical string quartet, piano tinkler, or old-fogey dance band like I found on my RCI cruise last year.

NCL's staff band on the Jewel, even though pretty small, put on a terrific Big Band tribute up in the Spinnaker one afternoon. Another time, right before getting ready to leave a Canadian port (probably Saint John), they brought on a few RCMP officers and a couple of bagpipers/drummers for a set of Celtic music. Not the usual cruise ship offering, but very interesting. On another cruise, when docked in Sydney, NS a local and very talented band was brought onboard to play Cape Breton fiddle/house party type music. Really good stuff.

A lot of folks enjoyed the solo guitar player, as much for his storytelling as for his singing/playing. And then there's the band that plays all over the ship, doing a lot of high-quality contemporary music, made up of members from the Philippines. Sometimes they had passengers come up and play rhythm (mostly an egg or tambourine). And then there's Fire and Ice. 'Nuff said...check 'em out on youtube. Rosie is a terrific entertainer, and just perfect for a cruise ship audience.

Didn't enjoy music on recent Dawn cruise. Music at pool was too loud and with the noise with everyone talking it was was just too much to take. We could still hear the noise on our balcony which was mid ship. There was no music anywhere where one could do a slow dance. Band in Atrium failed to attract many listeners. We did not go to the sail away or hot white party as it would have been ear splitting as well. I believe there was music in the main dining rooms but noise of diners overpowered it. Entertainment at night in Stardust produced not much in the line of musical entertainment with one Vegas magic act appearing for three nights.

Didn't enjoy music on recent Dawn cruise. Music at pool was too loud and with the noise with everyone talking it was was just too much to take. We could still hear the noise on our balcony which was mid ship. There was no music anywhere where one could do a slow dance. Band in Atrium failed to attract many listeners. We did not go to the sail away or hot white party as it would have been ear splitting as well. I believe there was music in the main dining rooms but noise of diners overpowered it. Entertainment at night in Stardust produced not much in the line of musical entertainment with one Vegas magic act appearing for three nights.

The problem with Dawn is, it doesn't have a good venue for nightly live music. The piano players at Gatsby's and the Star Bar were great, but the location and clausterphobic feeling of Spinnaker made for a terrible lounge. There was no good dance lounge. Frankly, even my HAL cruise had better venues than Dawn. I'd have to say Dawn was probably my least favorite ship on which I have sailed.

Sky, on the other hand, was great. I loved the 3 piece band in Plantation during the nightly martini event.

But to date, I have yet to see any ship compare to RCI Oasis and Allure. They are the Meccas of live entertainment.

There was a great pianist/singer at Shaker's on the Epic last year.

We were waiting to go into the ice bar and just people watching downstairs and such... and I started just randomly kind of dancing a little to the music from Shaker's... and the pianist must have seen me and was like "shake it, girl!" or something. So my friend and I then had to dance even more, all while laughing. I got the biggest kick out of that. XD

• 1 year later...

On a recent (3/29 - 4/5/2015) cruise on NCL Sun, had the great opportunity to listen to 2 great bands - the showband's main job is backing up the cheesy song and dance shows in the theater, but on their off nights, they play very high level improvisational jazz in the Miles Davis, Donald Byrd, Sonny Rollins tradition. These guys are the real deal and love what they do.

The other band that we really loved was called Colibri - they were all Russians but performed standard American pop music - from Billy Holiday / Cole Porter to Country/Western to Eric Clapton to top 40 - and all of it was performed with originality, high levels of musicality and inspirational passion. The guitarist is one of the best you will find anywhere, technical skill virtuosity with improvisational runs appropriate to the style of the piece they are playing. the pianist who also provides the bass line on a synthesizer is obviously classically trained and also with great improvisational ability. But what really makes the group is their female lead singer who delivers her lines with conviction and joy with a beautiful rich contralto. The Russian accent on the country songs is just an added touch - achy br-r-reaky hear-r-t" - that just puts a smile on your face.

There was also a decent Calypso band, a top 40 duo who were competent, but the guitar player was a little over the top to watch, an R&B duo who were pretty good, particularly the female lead singer. Must say the solo piano and solo guitar/vocal acts were pretty lame, but what an assortment and high level of talent on a relatively small ship.

Thank you NCL for believing in live music and selecting your musicians with care and knowledge of what you are doing.