Warning: Just Got My Cingular Bill:

SEPyle

We were on the 5/20 Summit; I did my homework and Cingular confirmed that I have coverage for Alaska. My bill came today and I had $114 in roaming charges. The calls made on land did not cost anything since I have the Nationwide plan. The roaming was from about 8 or 9 calls made from our balcony while in various ports (with Cingular coverage).

Here's what they are saying so far. I spoke to a customer service supervisor tonight and will speak to her superior tomorrow. She said the charges were picked up from the tower (or some other term) on the ship and therefore a roaming charge. I tried to explain to her that the ship was docked and I was not at sea. She kept repeating that they were valid charges. I even contacted our local Cingular office before leaving and was told I there was no additional charge for calls in Alaska.

We were on the 9/18/05 Century and when our return was delayed because of Hurricane Jeanne, the Capt. positioned us close to Key West so we could use cell phones to call home. I had NO additional charges then. It's an understatement to say I'm not happy. I also made calls from St. Thomas and San Juan from the ship with no roaming.

It amazes me that something like this can change; the cell company doesn't notify the consumer, but we can be held responsible. It's not over yet, and I will contest the charge doing whatever I need to do.

In the meantime: To anyone going to Alaska, be careful of roaming charges. It never said roaming on my phone. The more I am writing, the more mad I am becomming. Guess I better say...to be continued...and go to bed!

Sharon

WOW - I tried to make a call a few days ago from a remote spot between Anchorage and Glenallen, but when the voice said that it would cost $2.99 connection and $1.99 a minute for roaming, I hung up. Not being warned is awful :(

Murray

I posted the warning previously. Alaska has a lot of small cell companies that do NOT have any agreements with the companies in the lower 48. If your call happens to bounce off one of those towers, you WILL be charged roaming charges. And they are very high.

Our neighbors, who live in Ketchikan 7 months of the year, drive back and forth from Arizona. They got a new cell phone last year, with assurances that it would work with no roaming charges. After getting a $300.00+ bill for roaming charges, they paid the cancellation fee, as it was cheaper than the bill. They found a prepaid cell much cheaper. And they are still fighting about the bill.

It amazes me that something like this can change; the cell company doesn't notify the consumer, but we can be held responsible. It's not over yet, and I will contest the charge doing whatever I need to do.

In the meantime: To anyone going to Alaska, be careful of roaming charges. It never said roaming on my phone. The more I am writing, the more mad I am becomming. Guess I better say...to be continued...and go to bed!

Sharon

Sharon,

Thanks so much. I will be going in 2 1/2 weeks and I too have Cingular. Yes, we've never been charged extra for San Juan, PR or Saint Thomas. They have plenty of local towers there.

We were killed with phone charges while in Bermuda. I called and complained twice because it never said ROAMING, it just said CIngular Extend when I placed the calls from Bermuda which it would say in most places in the US when I called. But they killed me for $100 in roaming and long distance and would not BUDGE.

I have been recently having problems getting them to add my 5% AAA discount I'm suppose to be getting. Their customer service is not always the best.

Please let me know the outcome of you talks with Cingular.

Thanks.

Anne Maria

I just went to Cingular to check out service in Canada since DH is working there a lot. We have the nationwide plan and were told that coverage was not available there and we would have to pay extra or get a special plan to cover Canada. While I was waiting for a Cingular representative to talk with about coverage in Canda, I was looking at their coverage map. The map for Alaska showed only limited coverage in Alaska. Perhaps you were in one of those areas not covered.

As for Puerto Rico, when we went to Puerto Rico last year we were told by our ATT/Cingular representative that Puerto Rico is indeed covered so hence, no additional charges to our bill.

Fortunately, or unfortunately I've never had to place too many calls that fit into the "roaming" category, but when I first had Cingular (years ago) it did state roaming, but now with Cingular's new GSM (? I think that's it) system, it never states roaming. I think I see a class action suit or something against Cingular because it's MISLEADING to consumers using their product and Cingular is racking in hundreds of dollars.

Any lawyers out there???

Anne Maria

I put roaming on my SprintPCS cell and was not charged any additional charges. I spent 222 minutes on my cell phone in Alaska and all was covered.

Coral--We have Sprint also and want to have the phone available only for emergencies with children/grandchild who are not coming with us. How did you do it? Thanks in advance.

We use Verizonwireless and of Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan we could only get service in Juneau. We made one call home while we were on the ship in port, and from what I can tell from reviewing my statement online, the call was included in my monthly allowance. I did note that my phone said extended network.

Before we left I had checked with Verizonwireless, and their customer service representative had me do something to update my roaming. I'm still not sure what it did, but I had to call one of their numbers and then hold on until it was done. I also don't know if that made any difference.

The customer service rep also told me that I might have had service in Skagway and Ketchikan if my phone was able to get analog service, but since my phone was only digital I couldn't.

I'm not a happy camper...as instructed, I called the Regional Customer Service Manager this morning. The recording said her hours start at 12 noon. At 12:01 I called and several times after that. No one available and the worse, no option for leaving a voice mail. Very convenient I would say! It listed another person to contact and I was able to leave a message on that phone. To say the least, I'm not impressed with Cingular's customer service.

By the way, it is NOT a situation with a tower on the ship, at least according to Celebrity. I have no reason to doubt them.

I'll let you know what transpires. Since my cell phone isn't working, I'm certainly NOT going to do anything till I have resolution on this matter. Cingular will or will not have a customer depending on how they resolve this. We have three phones, and good customers since the late 90's. GRRRR

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sharon

I'd recommend going to your contract and trying to find exactly where they are breaching it. If they misrepresent an area as in-network when it is roaming, they are in breach and that renders the contract invalid, meaning Cingular is entitled to neither roaming charges nor the termination fee. That's a battle that would probably go all the way to the credit agencies, though. I've done it and won, but it's a battle.

I too have Cingular and recently returned from Alaska. My phone worked great in all the ports we visited. Sitka, Juneau, Whittier, Ketchican and in Prince Rupert is said Roberts instead of Cingular.

I upgraded to Cingular from Att before my trip so that I could use my phone from Alaska. After reading your problem this morning I called them to find a few things out. She told me that even though my phone said Cingular, or roaming that I should not be charged anything because on their system unlike ATT even if your minutes show up (which mine did online) as roaming you would still be under the Nationwide Calling plan, you either have service or you don't. If you have service then it is under CINGULAR. This is also what I was told when I signed up.

I have not received my bill for this time frame but if I receive one red cent charged to roaming, there will be a problem. I was very carefull not to make calls when we were near other ships and this was only one time as I did not want their towers to place my call.

If my phone is out of the area when I go to use it and it does not tell me that there will be roaming charges involved in this call then I don't see how they have a leg or foot to stand on. I am not a mind reader and I'm sure that no one else is either!!!!!!!

I will be sure to post on this subject around the 1st of July when I receive my bill. And I did place several calls from Alaska as well as receive. I even had service on the inside passage between Prince Rupert and Seattle in spots.

I assume you were using a GSM phone with the Cingular nationwide plan??? That's what I have and think that it should be fine in Alaska if calling from a major city, i.e., Anchorage, Skagway, Kethcikan. Those cities (and more) show on the Cingular service map. But, if you look on the Cingular website there is a disclaimer on the same page as the service map. HMMMM

I will also call Cingular.

Funny how Suncom Wireless is targeting specifically disgruntled cell phone customers of other companies. Listen to Harry Connick on the commercials. Evidently you can build an entire market out of just those people.

OK, I just spoke to a Cingular rep who seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable. She even said she had had this question before, had researched it plus had had several irate customers call her after getting the roaming charges. Here is what she told me---paraphrasing mind you! And please understand I am just paraphrasing what I was told---can't guarantee I was told correctly.

If you don't have the right plan, then you would not have coverage. But with the right Nationwide plan/GSM you would not be billed in Alaska. BUT, in those areas that are close to Canada, you "might" lock onto a Canadian cell site, thus it appears as if you are in Canada and then you would be charged the international roaming rate---which is $.79 per minute. OUCH. But you can add an international plan for $5.99 per month and then it would be only $.19 per minute. So, if you also plan to be in Canada and want to use your phone, then that is an option. And then if you did lock onto a Canadian site, then the roaming charges would be very low.

Now from my technical experience I fully understand what she said and how that would technically work. I know that the Alaska cities in the SE are pretty close to Canada, but are there really Canadian cell sites THAT close?

Still sounds a little fishy to me. I did get the reps full name and had her put our conversation in my record.

Maybe we should all just leave our cellphones at home, enjoy our trip and not worry about things at home! Some of us do need to check up on family, etc., so that is why we have the phones.

OK, I just spoke to a Cingular rep who seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable. She even said she had had this question before, had researched it plus had had several irate customers call her after getting the roaming charges. Here is what she told me---paraphrasing mind you! And please understand I am just paraphrasing what I was told---can't guarantee I was told correctly.

If you don't have the right plan, then you would not have coverage. But with the right Nationwide plan/GSM you would not be billed in Alaska. BUT, in those areas that are close to Canada, you "might" lock onto a Canadian cell site, thus it appears as if you are in Canada and then you would be charged the international roaming rate---which is $.79 per minute. OUCH. But you can add an international plan for $5.99 per month and then it would be only $.19 per minute. So, if you also plan to be in Canada and want to use your phone, then that is an option. And then if you did lock onto a Canadian site, then the roaming charges would be very low.

Now from my technical experience I fully understand what she said and how that would technically work. I know that the Alaska cities in the SE are pretty close to Canada, but are there really Canadian cell sites THAT close?

Still sounds a little fishy to me. I did get the reps full name and had her put our conversation in my record.

Maybe we should all just leave our cellphones at home, enjoy our trip and not worry about things at home! Some of us do need to check up on family, etc., so that is why we have the phones.

A little more to add....with regard to adding the plan to include Canada, the representative I spoke with told me that if I had the nationwide plan/GSM with family members on it, I could not add Canada to that plan. I would have to have a completely different number for that plan. I am convinced that the cell companies job is to confuse the consumer to pay through the nose instead of simplifying their service.

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind when I receive my bill!!!!!!

FYI, Southeast is covered by 2 cellular companies ACS Alaska which is a local Alaskan company and Cellularone which is a much larger company.

Websites are www.cellularone.com They ask you for a zip code to get local info

Juneau - 99801

haines - 99827

ketch 99901

sitka 99835

Anchorage 99501

www.acsalaska.com

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the ships have local repeaters onboard which would only pickup the cell signal on board the ship. I've used my Cellular One phone with nationwide coverage in Maimi, New Orleans, Dallas, Las Vegas, Seattle, and many more places without a problem. I did get nailed when I used it in Vancouver BC though.

Dave

We were on the 5/20 Summit; I did my homework and Cingular confirmed that I have coverage for Alaska. My bill came today and I had $114 in roaming charges. The calls made on land did not cost anything since I have the Nationwide plan. The roaming was from about 8 or 9 calls made from our balcony while in various ports (with Cingular coverage).

Here's what they are saying so far. I spoke to a customer service supervisor tonight and will speak to her superior tomorrow. She said the charges were picked up from the tower (or some other term) on the ship and therefore a roaming charge. I tried to explain to her that the ship was docked and I was not at sea. She kept repeating that they were valid charges. I even contacted our local Cingular office before leaving and was told I there was no additional charge for calls in Alaska.

We were on the 9/18/05 Century and when our return was delayed because of Hurricane Jeanne, the Capt. positioned us close to Key West so we could use cell phones to call home. I had NO additional charges then. It's an understatement to say I'm not happy. I also made calls from St. Thomas and San Juan from the ship with no roaming.

Sharon

How were you on the Century 9/18/05? Do you have a time machine?:D

OK enough for the typo. You need to understand how cell phones work. Cell (short for cellular) phones only transmit short distances. There must be a reciever, usually mounted in a tower, within that distance. This is what allows so many of them to work, without constantly interfering with eachother. What happened is there are cell phone "towers" installed on Celebrity ships. See http://cruises.about.com/od/cruisenews/a/041203celebrity.htm. This is a great thing if you are in the middle of the ocean and want to call home. It is supposed to function like a land based tower when in port. Apparently it didn't switch over and you got charged for international! If you got far enough away from the ship, you got picked up by a land based tower, no problem. When you were on the Century, there was no tower on the ship yet so the captain got the ship close enough that a land based tower in Key West could pick you up, again no problem. You should doubt Celebrity, because the Summit was the first ship to get this service! There is the problem! There seem to be some bugs in the system. Hopefully this will help you straighten this out. Good Luck and let us know if you get them to cut your bill.

interesting- I called Cingular last week and since I have the nationwide plan and a GSM phone she said I wouldn't have additional charges in Alaska ( I don't pay roaming on this plan)

don't know what to think- maybe I'll pull out my Sams ATT phone card and use it- evidently it will be good there (best I could tell from their website- never got to talk to an individual)

my elderly mother got stuck with two consecutive $200+ bills from Cingular after visiting my sister in Illinois- I fought like crazy and got some of it reduced- she was barely using the phone but got "eaten alive" by roaming and long distance- I changed her plan! So travelling can be a problem with Cingular- never get charged additional when I use it in CA- wondering now about Alaska??

ronrythm,

That perfectly explains it. I followed the link you provided and it clearly states what probably happened to the OP. IMHO the party the OP should be talking to is Celebrity as it appears they did not turn the onboard tower off while in port.

I technically understand what Cingular told me about latching on to a Canadian site, but I don't know how close those towers might be to know if that will really happen. I suspect my Cingular Nationwide plan will work just fine.

Thanks everyone!

We have Cingular GSM with a Nationwide plan and were able to use it in Alaska. I received a bill that covered most of our trip and, so far, no there were no additional charges. Some of the calls are listed under the Roaming section, but still included in our regular minutes.

The scary part is that I called Cingular before we left to see if our phone would work without addtional charges and the rep that I spoke to on the phone didn't know where Alaska was! She was asking me geography questions about what it was located near?, was it in South America?:eek:, what country is that?:eek: , and other things like that. This could explain why some people end up with unexpected charges on their accounts. Apparently, some of the people working there don't know that Alaska is part of the United States or what continent it is located on!

Good luck with your battle, hope it works out.

Archived