Dive Excusions w/ GF Who's Not A Diver?

cruiserabcd1

I have a c-card and I would like to dive on our upcoming cruise to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. My girlfriend will be joining me and it's just the two of us, but she is not a diver. She enjoys snorkeling, but has no interest in taking a dive course. Do you know if there is a way for both of us to be on an excursion where I can dive and she can snorkel from the same boat? We would like to stay together and not split up for the day.

Generally there is not much snorkeling at dive sites because of the depths involved. Roatan has some of the best snorkeling I have ever done and we did not feel we had missed a thing by not diving. You might consider snorkeling with yoru girlfreind. There are some great shore dives on the West End of the island.

For Roatan, many of the same shops offer both snorkeling and dive excursions (I know Subway and Bananarama) where you may be on a different boat, but you at least start and end together. Beyond that, you're stuck based on the depth thing. In Cozumel, the diving and snorkeling are really two different places. Not sure about Belize.

skip your dive and snorkel with her

build your bond

later she may decide to take a class once her confidence is up and she wants to do what you want to do

I put diving aside for several years and snorkeled with wife until she said she'd like to try a Discovery Dive . . .

Then we did that

two weeks later she'd arranged certification class

and a month after that we were on our way to Cayman for the first of MANY dive trips

Just back from a week on Cayman at Sunset House with dd

I'd pick one location for you to dive in, where there is something else good for her to do. (Cozumel? She could go on a ruins tour or dolphin-swim excursions). At the other ports do something together- snorkeling or otherwise.

This coming from someone who spent half of my honeymoon apart from my husband- we went skiing, me on bunny slopes, him on moguls. We met up for meals :)

It is important to have time together, but no reason for you to spend every second together. I wouldn't totally skip diving on a trip like this, if that is your thing.

I'm no marriage counselor

just been married for 35 years

in any construction project

the foundation is very important ... in new construction you are responsible for the foundation

however if the project is a remodel .... you are constrained by how much you are willing to cut back.

Lots of dive shops will try to accommodate snorklers if there is visibility but you'll need to contact individual dive shops to find out what they may offer. We don't book through cruise ships but rely on some good ol' fashioned internet searching and online reviews to determine the best shops to use, and then contact them via email to find out what they can do for us. You never know until you ask, and they'll be responsive if they want your business. :)

My husband & son dove with ScubaTony in Cozumel. We booked it independently and it was terrific ! It ended up being a private excursion.

They sent us a confirmation as well as google maps of what the area should look like. (Because otherwise, you'd be sure you were in the wrong place !)

As some others said, depending on the location, the shop might offer both.

My wife only snorkels as well, and I like diving. When on holidays, we usually do a few trips together. We chose a local dive shop with a big boat, where you can enjoy the day at sea. If they know there are snorkelers onboard, the usually chose an "easy" dive site where there is something for both groups to do and sea. And after the dive/snorkel you can enjoy the boat.

Does not work well on zodiacs ;-)

Archived