About CC shipboard gatherings...

cruzinchris

Please accept my apology up front if this question has been previously asked and answered; I've only been visiting the CC boards since last December and haven't read every thread/topic. I discovered this website prior to my 4th Princess cruise last January.

How do most of you go about arranging your onboard CC gatherings? Does Princess staff ever get involved, or are you pretty much on your own?

My only experience with a CC meeting was on the CB in January, and our one and only organized activity was an informal get-together during sailaway. About 35 people from the roll call met at Outriggers to chat and enjoy a Bon Voyage! beverage. We wore Mardi Gras beads for easy identification of the group.

I started an early roll call for the January 28, 2006 sailing on the CB and would appreciate your ideas/suggestions for a CC gathering on that cruise. Many thanks!

Chris

Normally on Princess, this is something you have to do privately. Let your roll call know of a place and time to meet. Princess does not usually (notice the usually word there) santion any group gatherings for CC. Recently though it seems that the CD on the Golden is doing this for us, which is great. So time will tell if they continue this to other ships. We can only hope.

But right now, you could attempt to email the CD on your ship as time grows closer to your sailing, but I wouldn't count on anything from the cruise line. Will keep my fingers crossed that Princess begins doing this on all of her ships in the future though.

On our cruise in April, we had our CC meeting at Skywalkers. We met just before muster - I would say there were about 35 or so CCrs. One of the folks somehow contacted the ship and set it up as we were a good sized group. We had a waitress who kept checking with us for drinks (no freebies) and I think they put out some pretzels or something.

If you want to hunt around the roll call area - it was Star, April 2nd. I believe it was Joanne1 who made the arrangements.:) She did a great job.

We met for about an hour or so, but it was fun seeing everyone around during the cruise. We had a really fun group.:) Good luck.

Ditto Northender's experience. We had a huge CC group on the May 22 sailing on the Golden (over 100 of us!) so someone from our roll call contacted Princess and let them know we planned to get together in Skywalkers on the first sea day. They had enough waiters for us and jugs of that snack mix they have on the ship. They also let us use the microphone for brief introductions (it was a pretty big group) and the waiters took photos of the group for us, if I remember right. Not as cool as the party they got on the sailing after ours (new CD) but still a fun event.

I just got off the Golden last week and on our roll call we had agreed to a meeting place by one of the pools just after the muster drill. The man who had started the ball rolling on the roll call spoke to the CD once he got onboard and invited him to the sailaway party. Unfortunately, there was a bit of confusion about which pool and half of us went to one pool, and the rest (including the CD and his staff) went to the other pool! Since our organizer thought many of us were no-shows, he arranged with the CD to have another meeting at the Wheelhouse bar on one of our days at sea. I was very surprised that all drinks were on the house and they even had both hot and cold hors d'oerves for us. Once again, the CD, Richard Joseph, and many of his staff were there. So my advice would be to talk to the CD once onboard and perhaps they may be willing to organize something as well. The worst that could happen would be no food and that you pay for your own drinks.

The Mardi Gras beads are a great idea...something to identify yourselves to each other. Our CC group was to meet after muster at outriggers. We were there but so were lots of other people. We were not able to identify any fellow CC'rs though they were out there. That was a mistake on my part. I regretted not meeting them the entire cruise.

Normally you organize your own. Somehow I have been the person who has organize two previous cruises and we always met after muster drill if the ship left at 5:00 p.m. We always met on the Lido deck by a pool bar, we usualy agreed on wearing blue ribbons or whatever color etc and it always worked out perfectly. I just let the roll call people know about once a week before the cruise and then about 2-3 days from the cruise because people have to travel from wherever. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

It looks to me it all depends on who the CD is for your particular sailing.:)

If someone on your roll call group is standing out as a lead personality (including your good self), perhaps that is who should contact the CD.

Maybe Princess is finally seeing CC as a positive influence? :) :)

I think the Outrigger Bar is one of the places that people know and that is why there are so many meet and greets set up by various groups and families.

If I recall, they did have reserved signs on a few of the tables. We just kept pulling over more tables and more chairs as folks arrived.

Chris-

I volunteered to plan our meeting on the 4/23 CB sailing (I think you read my review). I called Princess Cust Svc and obtained the fax number for the on-board group function coordinator (my TA who specializes in group cruises suggested it). I then faxed my needs to her- we planned a meeting at 2PM in SkyWalkers the first sea day. She called me to confirm- I requested a no-host bar. They put a sign out front of Skywalkers at 2PM- Private Function- "Friends of_____(our last name)." We notified our group on our roll call thread of the time, place and sign. Most of our group showed up for about an hour. We chatted, drank and took pictures. There was a roving waiter and he took care of everyone. We tipped him an extra $20 on top of the tips others gave him. Not sure if that was too cheap, but I wasn't "hosting" the party- only made the arrangements.

All went well- about 40 folks drifted in and out.

What was interesting was that we received a letter from the on-board event manager when we arrived in our stateroom, letting us know the arrangements and giving us a contact # if we need anything. The day before the end of the cruise, we received a group packet suggesting post cruise excursions for our "group". We also received a letter stating they hoped the event went well. I almost think the event manager was looking for some sort of acknowledgement. Again, since we weren't hosting a party or the group leaders, we did not feel obligated to give additional tips - since we had a room and a no-host bar. I guess the payback is the very positive feedback I leave on these boards regarding the meeting set up.

Oh- don't try to set the event up until about 5-6 weeks before the cruise. They don't plan these small functions that far in advance.

I was the one who set up the sailaway party for the recent Golden sailing to Western Europe. There certainly was confusion about which bar we should meet at and half went to each of the pool deck bars. I made up name tags for everyone and did up a roster to give out listing everyone's names, email addresses, cabin numbers, Cruise Critic name, and home town. Also collected pictures of everyone before the trip and then compiled them on two pages and emailed them back so that we all had an idea what everyone else looked like before we even met. This helped to get to know each other more quickly and easily. Having done several such sailaway parties, I had learned that it is useless to try to deal directly with Princess (they want to set you up in some vacant restaurant and charge you for drinks and food, etc.) It is best to just email the cruise director before your voyage at www.(nameofship)@princesscruises.com and put the cruise directors name on the subject line. It will be directed to him and he will either react or not.... Then when you get on board, seek him out (usually near the purser's desk) and let him know what's going on. In most all cases he, and also some of his assistants, have showed up at the sailaway (held right after the muster). On this sailing, Cruise Director, Richard Joseph (affiliated with the cruise industry since the mid 80's), offered to throw another party for us in the Weelhouse Bar Lounge at 5:15 PM on the second sea day, and party it was! :D Free drinks of your choice for an hour, hot and cold appetizers, mixed nuts on the tables, and a Princess Tote bag for everyone. The CD and six assistants were there the whole time, comfortably asking and answering questions of everyone. At the end he took us all out in the atrium and had the ship's photographer take a group picture. This was the best one yet -- both the party and the Cruise Director! :) I think that Princess is realizing the importance of Cruise Critic Sailers and what we have to say about Princess! Hope you all have as nice a time as we did on your future cruise. Please email me at rsbconstable@aol.com if you have any questions.

Bob

To all who have responded so far:

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, ideas, and suggestions. I have linked this thread to the roll call for the January 28, 2006 voyage of the Caribbean Princess for everyone to see.

As the cruise draws nearer, and there are more participants in the roll call (I'm sure there will be), I will offer suggestions for a gathering based on your replies.

My best wishes to all of you for Bon Voyage! whenever and wherever you are sailing next.

Chris

It looks to me it all depends on who the CD is for your particular sailing.:)

I printed out a list of all the CCers that someone on our rollcall had compiled. Once we were onboard, I sought out the CD and gave it to him and asked him if Princess could organize a "meet and mingle" type of affair. We had one in one of the lounges ... on a sea day ... complete with champagne, compliments of Princess.

Of course, our CD (David Cole) came from a cruiseline that hosted meet and mingles, so he lurks the roll call boards and said he organizes meet-ups on the Island for any voyage he notes has an active roll call.

We also had made lots of advance plans for other, informal meet-ups ... especially since the one Princess hosted did not take place until like the tenth or eleventh day of the cruise. Our itinerary (Island) was Hawaii, and we had our Princess-sponsored get-together on one of the sea days returning from the islands.

But, still ... the Princess-sponsored get-together was nice because it was announced in the Patter and drew a few people who were not on this board, but who were curious as to what "cruise critics" were.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 3 weeks later...

On our roll call thread Star 7/14 sailing, we were planning a get together. One of our people contacted the CD. He responded that he always hosts one in the Wheelhouse on the first sea day at noon. I don't know if there is special food or anything.

Richard Joseph is the best. We had our own gathering on the Island in March, and informed him about it. He got the message too late, and then arranged a gathering of his own. This was complete with drinks, his assistant, the Captain, and one of the other officers. He also hooked us up with a bridge tour the next day.

Another accolade for Richard Joseph. We were on an '05 February Island cruise to Hawaii. A CC group put together on this board was a highlight. Richard could not have done more to make us welcomed and recognized. His staff was top notch and accessible. A CC cruiser with many Princess cruises organized the first party attended by the Capt., Chief of Guest Services, Richard, and some of his staff. From that point on we were treated to champagne at a lunch, a backstage tour prior to the scheduled one, another cocktail party, a complimentary gift, and other courtesies. Princess has a jewel in Richard Joseph.

Last March on the Dawn we had a group of 25 wish we contacted the ship/CD but at that time it sounded like Princess wasn't doing anything..We organized our own get together for sailaway and the first seaday. About a dozen of us took shore excurisons together and had dinner most nights together.

We are sailing again next March so will keep in mind to contact the CD in Feb.:D

• 2 weeks later...
My email has been delivered but no reply yet !:confused:

No reply, sorry for the delay I was in Spain till 11pm last night!

Looks like we are on our own ! He's too busy I guess! 2pm it is on what day and where ? I'm sort of out of touch!

I printed out a list of all the CCers that someone on our rollcall had compiled. Once we were onboard, I sought out the CD and gave it to him and asked him if Princess could organize a "meet and mingle" type of affair. We had one in one of the lounges ... on a sea day ... complete with champagne, compliments of Princess.

Of course, our CD (David Cole) came from a cruiseline that hosted meet and mingles, so he lurks the roll call boards and said he organizes meet-ups on the Island for any voyage he notes has an active roll call.

Hi Rita:

David Cole did the same for us - although, we'd already planned a get-together for Day 1 at sea, and then on Day 1 we planned another for the last day at sea. In between we saw a CC meeting in the Patter but weren't sure it was for us - a few folks went, and there was free appetizers/some kind of booze. It wasn't at a good time for us so we didn't go - and other folks didn't see it in the Patter.

I would have thought, if he does lurk around on the Roll Calls, that he would have checked when/where we were meeting, or contacted the person who was spearheading the shindig we'd arranged, but he set up a separate one. Nice gesture, but too bad not many of us could take advantage of it.

Just reading this thread - first a huge thank you to everyone that had so many nice things to say.

It has been a real pleasure hosting the CC parties this season on the beautiful Golden, and what a GREAT summer it has been.

A note to Britsbest - see the CD when you board. I am sure that he is swamped with on board work at the moment.... I know sometimes I find it impossible to answer the emails I receive prior to someone's arrival on board.

The days are pretty long & busy..... and the volume of email we receive for official company business can be staggering, so sometimes it is just not possible for me to answer the emails from CC members - but I always make it a priorty once you are on board to be certain the group has a great cruise and we have had some incredible partys this season.

Again - thanks to all the new friends I've made this season - looking forward to welcoming you all aboard the Golden. (I will be CD aboard until October 22 - then join the Island January 22.)

All the best!

Richard Joseph

Just reading this thread - first a huge thank you to everyone that had so many nice things to say.

It has been a real pleasure hosting the CC parties this season on the beautiful Golden, and what a GREAT summer it has been.

A note to Britsbest - see the CD when you board. I am sure that he is swamped with on board work at the moment.... I know sometimes I find it impossible to answer the emails I receive prior to someone's arrival on board.

The days are pretty long & busy..... and the volume of email we receive for official company business can be staggering, so sometimes it is just not possible for me to answer the emails from CC members - but I always make it a priorty once you are on board to be certain the group has a great cruise and we have had some incredible partys this season.

Again - thanks to all the new friends I've made this season - looking forward to welcoming you all aboard the Golden. (I will be CD aboard until October 22 - then join the Island January 22.)

All the best!

Richard Joseph

Dear Richard -

We are leaving in few days to embark the Golden for the July 31 sailing (We will also be on b2b for the Aug. 10 sailing)

For the July 31 sailing - we have a Cruise Critic Roll Call of more than 50!

For the Aug. 10 sailing - we have a Cruise Critic Roll Call of more than 85!

We have a "Meet & Mingle" arranged right after muster at the Oasis Bar - Sports Deck (Dec. 16) for 'Sail-A-Way" (both sailings)

We have a list complied with everyone's name and Cabin...........and we are looking forward to meeting eachother in person!

(The So. Florida "contigent" had a Pre-Cruise" Dinner meet last night, attended by over 20 ... it was a great success)

I realize that you and your Staff might be too busy to come along to the Oasis Bar on Sprts Deck directly after Muster on Embarkation Day,

I will look for you onboard, and hope that you will be so kind as to help with arrangements and participate with all of us in a proper "Cruise Critic Party" on a Sea Day during our cruise.

There has been much chatter on our Roll Calls for many, many months and we are all excited about the Golden Princess and the opportunity to meet the "Greatest" CD Richaard Joseph! :D

Regards from GotToCruise (aka Renee) Cabin #D630

I wish you all a wonderful voyage on both trips. Thus far, the Golden Princess is our favorite ship, and it sounds as if you will have a great CD. We were in A-303, which was a MAJOR upgrade from a Plaza inside, but it was just a month after the 9/11 event. It certainly spoiled us!

We were by ourselves but now that I've discovered the roll calls, it would have been nice to have been with a CC group. Have a great terrific time!! Lynne

• 1 month later...

Archived