Upgrade to Balcony Guarantee

kathy.mckibbin

I was just offered an upgrade from obstructed view to a balcony guarantee cabin for $260 (2 of us). The cabin we are currently booked in is on deck 8 (Pearl) - 8086. It looks like it would be pretty quiet with cabins above us and the shopping below. The elevators are close and we are not far from the Blue Lagoon.

I've seen posts where people are not happy with the guarantee cabins they get and am a little afraid of this. Also, the extra money could be used easily for other things (like excursions).

Could you weigh in with your opinions? We are doing the Alaska cruise.

Kathy

I agree with sdmike, if I was going to have a balcony anywhere, it would be Alaska. So, if you are able to budget the upgrade to a Balcony Guarantee, here is what you need to do. Look at ALL balcony cabins on the ship. Are there any you would be unhappy with? Are there any balcony cabins that would make you wish you hadn't switched from the OV? If so, a guarantee might not be for you. Basically, people don't always understand what a guarantee means - it means you will get - at minimum- the lowest level (category) balcony on the ship. You might get any deck, any location, even a "hull" balcony, but you are guaranteed a balcony. You might get the lowest level balcony, you might get the highest level balcony, you might even get upgraded to a mini suite, but the very least you are guaranteed is a balcony cabin. Take that into consideration and make a decision. I personally would go for it - i love a balcony, I don't go to bed early, can sleep in the morning if there is any noise, I don't get seasick, and I don't mind walking to wherever I need to go - BUT that is me. Only you can decide for yourself.

Robin

I thnk the wost balcony you could get on a GTY is a hull balcony on deck 8...You might get some noise from the theater there (just take earplugs if you turn in early). The hull balcony offers more privacy and more protection from wind and rain ... But feels more enclosed...I got one as a gty on Jewel. it was fine in my opinion.

a balcony is a wonderful thing in Alaska. You may have little view from your obstructed room. If it is in the budget, I would upgrade.

How is your cruise selling? Are there tons of cabins left in most categories? The price of your obstructed cabin has probably declined since you booked. Cabin prices on our May Alaska cruise started falling like a rock about 6 weeks out. Lots of people were able to upgrade for very little.

I would check the price now for a balcony category and location I would be happy with. If you like the price, you can just book the cabin now and not take a chance with a guarantee. If not, wait awhile and prices may come down more in a few weeks. We were able to upgrade to an aft penthouse from a mini for a total of $180 for 2.

OV in that area are my favourate cabin for location/price.

we swaped one of those for a GTY balacony last year and it was just an OK swap but in hindsite we should have stayed where we were.

For alaska the balcony will be more usefull.

Check the real pricing and what the current price for the various options are.

which date? if 16 june there have been some significant drops I guesss more may be coming if you look at the earlier dates they are a couple of hundred cheaper.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cbooking/submitCruiseDetailsForm.html?packageId=3071339

How is your cruise selling? Are there tons of cabins left in most categories? The price of your obstructed cabin has probably declined since you booked. Cabin prices on our May Alaska cruise started falling like a rock about 6 weeks out. Lots of people were able to upgrade for very little.

I would check the price now for a balcony category and location I would be happy with. If you like the price, you can just book the cabin now and not take a chance with a guarantee. If not, wait awhile and prices may come down more in a few weeks. We were able to upgrade to an aft penthouse from a mini for a total of $180 for 2.

I totally agree with Punkin. Have you checked with them on what the price would be to go directly to the balcony category where you can pick your cabin? I would do that then compare that price to the one you received for the Guarantee and see if the difference there would be worth the chance of getting a cabin you wouldn't like. I agree with Mike, a balcony is a must have for Alaska.

A balcony is highly desirable on an Alaska cruise, but still it is not a "must have" in my opinion. If the OP decides to not to spring for the balcony, there will still be much to enjoy.

I have enjoyed Alaska sailing in inside and OV cabins; people in those cabins get out on deck or other public spaces.

My most recent AK cruise was in a partially obstructed cabin on Princess; by the time I booked, a balcony would have been about 3 times the cost of the obstructed OV. The weather did not cooperate well on that cruise...cold, windy, drizzle. DH and I often sat in a wing of the observatory lounge where we could look down the side of the ship to see empty balcony after empty balcony (except when we were in glacier bay).

Thanks for all the advice. I finally decided to take the chance and did the upgrade. It's our first cruise so I don't know good or bad.

BTW, my decision ended up being based on having a slightly larger cabin. I am traveling with my 15/16 year old son (his birthday is the day we return) and thought some extra space would be good!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I finally decided to take the chance and did the upgrade. It's our first cruise so I don't know good or bad.

BTW, my decision ended up being based on having a slightly larger cabin. I am traveling with my 15/16 year old son (his birthday is the day we return) and thought some extra space would be good!!!

The extra room will make a huge difference, and more than likely you'll get a lot of use from the balcony. I've stayed in balconies and oceanviews, and you'd be surprised how much difference in size there is with just the space for the sleeper sofa. I've done three people in a balcony, and I can tell you I would not try three people in anything smaller.

You made the right choice!

I know you are worried you might get a 'bum' cabin, but quite honestly, even if you pick the absolute best location on the ship you might get stuck next to all night door-slammers or something, so no matter what it is always a gamble.

A balcony is such a treat on a ship!

Congratulations! Have a great time!

Sounds like a good reason to upgrade. A balcony is a big asset on an Alaska cruise. Have a wonderful time.

Archived