Honeymoon Carnival Cruise a Mistake?

musicmantrs

I've lurked here for a few months taking in all I could. I cruised Carnival years ago and it was alright and we're getting married in Austin in September and thought we had the perfect plan. Get up early Sunday and drive to Galveston for an affordable Honeymoon... I'm afraid I've upsold myself too much. With an Ocean Suite and the excursions and the spa day we want the 7-day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic is going to be 3600 + booze/gambling. We're very active and enjoy having activities every day... we just got back from a 9 night trip to Costa Rica (that's why we wanted a more budget honeymoon) where we zip lined twice, white water rafted, hiked through 2 National Parks, had a deep sea fishing excursion. I'm starting to get cold feet that we will be bored with 4 sea days and won't enjoy our Honeymoon and maybe need to pick another destination. I guess the question is, would you as two 25 year olds enjoy a cruise for your honeymoon to Key West, Freeport, and Nassau?

Thanks!

We had our wedding with Carnival and then returned a month later for our Honeymoon. However, our idea of vacation is cuddling up with a good book and taking in the sun--so it was perfect for us.

There's a lot to do around the ships on sea days (including a ropes course of some kind), but they don't offer zip lining or rock climbing--you may need to look into another line for those things.

Omg the Magic is fantastic! Don't second guess it! Go have fun, relax and party. Lots to do or not do. I would enjoy my honeymoon on the Magic and I'm not much older then you.

They also have some fun parties on Tue and Fri nights.

My kids are your age and they love cruises.

You will have four days with your very favorite person in all the world.

How could that be boring?

Get up, watch the sun rise, look for sea life, walk the track, eat some nice breakfasts and lunches, read a book, watch people, watch the sun go down.

What is not to like?

I've lurked here for a few months taking in all I could. I cruised Carnival years ago and it was alright and we're getting married in Austin in September and thought we had the perfect plan. Get up early Sunday and drive to Galveston for an affordable Honeymoon... I'm afraid I've upsold myself too much. With an Ocean Suite and the excursions and the spa day we want the 7-day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic is going to be 3600 + booze/gambling. We're very active and enjoy having activities every day... we just got back from a 9 night trip to Costa Rica (that's why we wanted a more budget honeymoon) where we zip lined twice, white water rafted, hiked through 2 National Parks, had a deep sea fishing excursion. I'm starting to get cold feet that we will be bored with 4 sea days and won't enjoy our Honeymoon and maybe need to pick another destination. I guess the question is, would you as two 25 year olds enjoy a cruise for your honeymoon to Key West, Freeport, and Nassau?

I got married 25 years ago today, and took my first cruise 25 years ago tomorrow. The latter was the best decision I ever made.

If you enjoy a lot of activities, I would maybe try a Southern Caribbean cruise. It's going to be more port intensive, with more to see. Nassau and Freeport....not great ports. I think you can definitely find something that will better suit your interests. A cruise is an awesome honeymoon...just find one that has a lot that interests you. The Breeze goes to some awesome ports.

My wife and I took our first cruise as our honeymoon nearly ten years ago or so and have never looked back. Cruising is part of us now as you can see we like it and it is where we set aside our busy lives and enjoy each others company for a week on the ocean. As for whether you will have a good time there are loads of activities on board the ship and you have chosen some good ports on this cruise. I would suggest you pick highly rated excursions at your ports of call. It is your honeymoon so enjoy it! This only happens once (for most people) so do it right. Congratulation and enjoy every moment!

I must be older than I think since I can't imagine:

1. Being bored ON YOUR HONEYMOON!

2. Being bored on a cruise.

If just being together isn't enough for you at your age, I'm not optimistic about your marriage. My husband is my soul mate. We enjoy the excursions we take on our cruises, but we are also content just to sit side-by-side reading and relaxing on the deck or our balcony.

I agree that a cruise would be a great honeymoon.. My Wife and I sail often.. We were engaged on the Glory and will have our wedding ceremony on the Breeze.. We have great adventures together.. But I would not reccomend the Bahamas as your ports.. Neither of us care for them.. Find some ports that have so great snorkeling, or scuba (if you dive) and some other adventures that interest you and have a blast..

As for sea days... its like every Cruise Director says in the welcome aboard show... you wont know what is said in the show because you will be too "busy" to go.. lmao.. Im sure you can find something to enjoy "together" on sea days.. lol points for creativity.. lmao

sorry.. im horrible.

I got married 25 years ago today, and took my first cruise 25 years ago tomorrow. The latter was the best decision I ever made.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in months. Thanks!

OP I guess I'm getting older too, it'll be our 12th on Sunday, but I also can't imagine being bored on your honeymoon. That said, however, with 4 sea days and some (IMO) not so great ports if you are the types that need to be constantly going there is a chance you might be bored. There is only so much to do on a ship - that to us is part of the appeal. It forces you to slow down a little. But again, if ever there's a time you ought to be able to 'entertain' yourselves it should be your honeymoon.

I guess to summarize my rambling if you want your honeymoon to be a great vacation - where you want to be entertained and experience things outside of your comfort zone I think this itinerary might disappoint. However if you want your honeymoon to be a great time to enjoy each other and celebrate the beginning or your married life together then this will be a perfect itinerary for that.

I guess to me your honeymoon is different than a normal vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

We're not exactly 25 anymore, but we have recently had a zip-line/white water rafting/hiking type trip and are not the type to sit around all day on vacation. But, I personally like to balance active adventure days with days spent relaxing together, especially on a honeymoon. You can act silly on the ropes course, going down waterslides, and playing mini-golf and then soak in the relatively quiet hot tubs on deck five or sit in the sunshine, watch the sun set, and spend the night dancing and drinking without driving or having to wake up early to go rafting. And of course the usual honeymoon activities.... We enjoyed our honeymoon to Mexico in the rainy season. No one is bored on their honeymoon, I hope. :)

We really enjoyed Belize, Honduras, and Cozumel, more than the Bahamas route. But I realize you're limited by what's offered the week after your wedding. I would do a lot of research into possible activites beyond what the cruiseline offers, and see if you can find some more exciting and affordable adventures.

I appreciate the input. We enjoy spending time together, we do most every weekend but we're not going on vacation to do the same things we do at home. Currently we plan on doing Atlantis and swimming with the dolphins and then snorkeling in Freeport and walking around Key West (we imagine it will be a lot like St. Augustine which we really enjoy).

I must be older than I think since I can't imagine:

1. Being bored ON YOUR HONEYMOON!

2. Being bored on a cruise.

If just being together isn't enough for you at your age, I'm not optimistic about your marriage. My husband is my soul mate. We enjoy the excursions we take on our cruises, but we are also content just to sit side-by-side reading and relaxing on the deck or our balcony.

Wow! Rude! :eek:

While you probably won't find anything as adventurous as your recent vacation at those ports or on board, I think you'll have fun. Key West has a lot to explore and a fun bar scene, even during the day. Nassau isn't my favorite port, but there's lots to see there too if you do a walking tour - that will be our choice for our upcoming stop there. I don't know about Freeport, as I've never been, but I'm sure you'll both make your own fun. Enjoy!

I also took my first cruise as a honeymoon back in 1994 on RCL. It was the most amazing experience. I felt like royality back then.

I remeber there were over 300 honeymooners on this cruise and they had a lot of theme things to do geared towards the honeymooners. I just loved it. I didn't even know there were balcony rooms back then...

I wish it wouldn't haven taken me so long to return to cruising.

PLUS.....we made A LOT of our own fun and THAT was not boring;););)

I also took my first cruise as a honeymoon back in 1994 on RCL. It was the most amazing experience. I felt like royality back then.

This is where my problem comes from, reading these boards and other places about Carnival I think if it was RCL or Princess I wouldn't have any trepidation but with the issues and all the threads about how service has gone down and "cool" extras have gone down the drain I'm really afraid it won't be anything special.

We did Carnival when I was 12 or 13 and it was a 3 or 4 night 1 port cruise and I didn't really enjoy it but then again I don't remember doing camp Carnival. We then did Princess for my college graduation, 22nd birthday, sister's masters graduation, parent's wedding anniversary and that was awesome... I guess my biggest fear is Carnival's cutbacks that have been outlined on this board.

One of our fave Itineraries was the Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.. My review is in my signature on the Liberty.. very affordable cruise and awesome ports.. Cave tubing.. zip line (if you like that).. the water in cozumel and GC is so clear.. great for snorkeling.. Honduras has a great beach.. or excursions..

Thanks for all the input, ya'll have made the decision very difficult - last night I was ready to cancel but now I guess we have to sit down and talk about it tonight.

reviews and comments here used to scare me into almost cancelling all the time.. then i sailed the DREAM after everyone said how horrible it was.. I had an amazing time and loved the ship and never let the bad reviews effect me again. lol

Thanks for all the input, ya'll have made the decision very difficult - last night I was ready to cancel but now I guess we have to sit down and talk about it tonight.

I think you will have a great time. I've never had a bad cruise. If you're concerned about the ship look at a recent review. I saw one for Magic was just posted today. Also, take a look at the Fun Times for your itinerary. It will tell you daily activities and see if anything interests you. I think some people are so miserable with life they have to complain about something and just choose to do so online behind a computer.

It's my anniversary today too! Happy Anniversary.. or maybe not! LOL :eek:

OP, I say go for it. A cruise is truly what you make of it. You can chill out and relax or you can join every activity available. It's totally up to you, that's what is so great about cruising.

Archived