Vaccinations for southeast asia??

suzieque

Is it necessary to get a typhoid vaccination prior to a southeast asia cruise? We are on the Pacific Princess July 26th. We will be in Beijing and Xi'an for a week pre-cruise, and in Bangkok & ChaingMai for a week post cruise.

Have been advised to get a Hepatitis A shot and to update my tetnus, but am curious if anyone strongly recommends the typhoid vaccine. I checked the CDC website and I can't tell how significant the risk is in this part of the world.

Thanks,

Suzie

my direct e-mail is sprovo@apr.com if you prefer to respond there, but I think many other cruisers may want to know this info, too.

My doctor suggested, and I got, Hepatitis B as well as A for my Asia cruise in 2002. I have another one planned for 2006; in reviewing my vaccination history recently, he felt that everything that I had taken in 2002, including the renewal of the DT vaccination, was adequate.

As to typhoid, there is an oral vaccine that can be taken that is good for 5 years. While the chances are you would not need it, being an oral-type medicine, why not do so and be certain that you are safe?

I hope that this helps you. Enjoy planning for a wonderful trip!

Thanks! I just got the Hep A and a new tetnus shot today. I will call them back and see if I need the Hep B as well! My daughter's doctor felt however, that the typhoid vaccine was unnecessary for the places we are going.. plus she takes an antibiotic for her acnes, and that apparently lessens the effectiveness of the typhoid vaccine. We are, however, taking some Cipro antibiotics along just in case of diahrrea or other traveller illness. Only one month to go. I can't wait!!

Suzie

Suzieque,

Ask your doctor for the Hep B shots also. All the kids in California have to have it before entering 7th grade. If you look at the CDC or WHO World map, you will see that Hep B is a serious problem in Asia.

Sheila

hi everyone

I'm going to China with my daughter in three weeks time and we were told by our GP that we should also have a Polio vaccine (not sabin as it's been a bit troublesome and they are going to cease using it) as there has been an outbreak of polio in South East Asia

we also had typhoid and hep a

I must admit I wasn't at all sure we would need them but better to be safe than sorry I guess

Archived