Alarming sights on the Mariner

OK. call me a chair hog if I can't spend the day in the pool and claim a chair. At least I am in sight of my chair. A chair hog is someone that gets up early, claims a chair, and then leaves the pool deck for hours on end to only return after lunch for a short time.

I claim my chair about 9:30 every sea day and stay on the pool deck till at least 5. I spend maybe an hour at my chair. If a cruise line would be so kind as to put up cubby bins in the pool area, there would be less chairs with belongings on them. There is no place to put your stuff other than on the chairs. Start a petition and get this done. You should then see a drop in chair hogs.

We returned from the 6/5 Mariner sailing and need to report some disturbing and alarming sights we witnessed.

It seems that in the pool and solarium areas there were a large number of invisible passengers. All you could see was the towels and shoes on the chairs. Very ghostly!:eek:

Another theory is that due to our being in the Bermuda Triangle that these people were simply vanishing, leaving only their towels, shoes, and personal belongings behind. Thank goodness we made it back ok. ;)

We began to wonder if we were invisible to the other passengers as we lay in our lounges. Thankfully though, no one sat on us.:rolleyes:

ROFLMAS

Too funny, thanks for posting this is funny,,, I dont care who you are!

:)

If you want to have some fun just take the right shoe from one chair and replace it with the right shoe from a far away chair. Different size and type of shoe naturally.

I like to use the same type of shoe but a different size. People freak wondering if their foot grew or shrank. I'm also considering going to a novelty store and buying some fake dog "stuff". Bet no one will move what I leave on the chairs!

-Monte

I'm telling you.... I have the perfect solution! I just need someone to patent it!

RCCL deck loungers that unfold with the use of your seapass. They also fold back up on their own after 1 hour w/o a warm body laying in it. Leave a book or a towel on it, after an hour SLAM!! Book or no book, you don't lie in it..you loose that seat to the next person with a seapass card.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondering, should one remove their belongings when they enter the pool? I would think that dipping in the pool to cool off for 10 minutes or so would not constitute a chair hog. What is the normal amount of time to give someone?

Exactly. First, let me say I hate chair hogs with passion and agree that you can't leave your chair and dissapear for an hour. But...

On our recent EOS cruise I saw a man taking my things off the lounge chair while I was sitting in jaccusi a feet away. Thankfully I was right there to explain to him that he was wrong doing that.

Apparently, I was not "ALLOWED" to leave my chair to sit in jaccusi for 15 min. I made sure he got MY point of view on this issue!

OK. call me a chair hog if I can't spend the day in the pool and claim a chair.

I claim my chair about 9:30 every sea day and stay on the pool deck till at least 5. I spend maybe an hour at my chair.

Ok, I'll take you up on it. If you use a chair one hour a day but leave your stuff on it all day. Yes, you are a chair hog.

-Monte

....and let's not forget about those inconsiderate cruisers who finish with the chairs, but for some reason choose to leave their towels behind (they're going to some activity before returning to their cabin and don't want to 'shlep' the towels with them?).....leaves those looking for a chair wondering if they're coming back having worn their shoes and took their book to the bathroom (instead of a newspaper) with them? :-)

M.

ROFLMAO - sooo funny.

Like the idea of a card operated chair too.

Aren't there attendants dealing with this problem 'nowadays'? All they need is a guy sitting at a towel and 'left property' station to go around removing abandoned towels etc.

It's a bit lazy of folks leaving stuff on a chair to go off for lunch etc. It's not as if their rooms are 'that' far away.

Thank goodness I don't have the patience to lie out in the sun.

I'm telling you.... I have the perfect solution! I just need someone to patent it!

RCCL deck loungers that unfold with the use of your seapass. They also fold back up on their own after 1 hour w/o a warm body laying in it. Leave a book or a towel on it, after an hour SLAM!! Book or no book, you don't lie in it..you loose that seat to the next person with a seapass card.

LOL....I just have this vision of...like mousetraps slamming shut all over the ship.......LOL:D

You are a brave, brave poster. I mentioned that I had a thirty minute rule to remove stuff from chairs and I was attacked! Was told someone could be eating in the buffet and I was being too hasty ;)

Thirty minutes is a reasonable amount of time. If the hogs are eating in the buffet, then they don't deserve to get their chair back. If you get an argument, blame it on the aliens!!! :eek: :D

Okay, I admit this is probably the one and only thing on a cruise that drives me totally bonkers. One person sitting and eating at a table for four or more, where it's apparent that they are the only one in attendance at that table. Really, it drives me batty mainly because you get that old "high school squicky" feeling standing there with your tray looking around for a seat.

There are always the smaller tables for two or the bar...

High school flashbacks are not fun!

If there were absolutely no tables available, and I saw a lone diner at a large table with plenty of available chairs, I would simply go over and ask if the seats were taken. Of course, I would observe enough to make sure they didn't have others joining them. After all, the worst that can happen is hearing a "yes". Beats standing around with your tray like an idiot.

Great idea!!! I just hope I'm not IN the chair when it malfunctions!!! :eek:

One person sitting alone at a table for 2 or 4 or more isn't rude behavior. When I cruise alone, I have no choice but to sit at a table designed for more than one person. However, I welcome folks sharing the table with me and I've always had people come up and ask if they can. So, don't be put off if you see just one person at a table. More than likely they would be happy to share it with you. :)

One person sitting alone at a table for 2 or 4 or more isn't rude behavior. When I cruise alone, I have no choice but to sit at a table designed for more than one person. However, I welcome folks sharing the table with me and I've always had people come up and ask if they can. So, don't be put off if you see just one person at a table. More than likely they would be happy to share it with you. :)

I am not put off by it, but like I said before I would not hesitate to ask someone if I can sit with them. Hopefully all single cruisers are as friendly as you are.

Gosh, reading all these posts just reminds me that some people weren't built for travelling or they shouldn't be let out of their homes for trips where they think they are king and tend to treat anyone - fellow passenger or cruise employee - like dirt. I was on the Mariner in May and you would have thought that these people expected the staff to bow at their feet. They also looked down at other cruisers...of course these are the same folks who leave the boat with a quarter page closing bill (since they didn't seem to do anything fun but make other people miserable). A big beef is this..and I know sometime the foods not that great, but some should quit bitchin about it...I really wanted to take them by the collar and ask "when's the last time you cooked lobster and shrimp for dinner - and for 3400 people"? Just my rant and it seems many above confirm it...no wonder sometimes we are called the "ugly americans".

I have never been lucky enough to acquire one of the poolside loungers. That being said...

I think that for our next cruise I will make small, double-sided, laminated signs that say "Rest Room Break" and "Taking a Dip". I will then use my clothespins (which all packing lists say that I should bring) to clip it to my lounger. This should help eliminate confusion about where I am and how long one should expect for me to be gone. I will use them everywhere except the theater and the dining rooms.:p

I think that RCCL should just go to Office Depot and get a bunch of those "will return at" clocks. If the passenger is not back at their advertised time, if the time exceeds the tolerance level selected by RCCL, or if the clock is not used then the belongings are appropriately removed by the attendant.

What has been the earliest that you have witnessed chair hogs in action? For me, DW and I went up to watch the sunrise and got up there 30 minutes before a 6am sunrise to see many, many chairs alrady "claimed". So what, do they get up, set their stuff out, and then return to sleep only to return later in the day to remove their items without even using the chair?

Also, there IS a bar in the Windjammer.. called the Plaza Bar. This has been seen, by me, on all the Voyager class ships I have been on.

We returned from the 6/5 Mariner sailing and need to report some disturbing and alarming sights we witnessed.

It seems that in the pool and solarium areas there were a large number of invisible passengers. All you could see was the towels and shoes on the chairs. Very ghostly!:eek:

Another theory is that due to our being in the Bermuda Triangle that these people were simply vanishing, leaving only their towels, shoes, and personal belongings behind. Thank goodness we made it back ok. ;)

We began to wonder if we were invisible to the other passengers as we lay in our lounges. Thankfully though, no one sat on us.:rolleyes:

You think that is alarming? I don't see anything alarming in your post...people saving chairs is a normal thing you can't stop it stop it. Royal Caribbean tells people not to save chairs and that is all they can do. They can't go and throw peoples stuff on the ground they do all they can.

DW just had another wonderful idea about the duct tape. You could wrap it between the arm rests side-to-side, across the chair, and also top to bottom so no one can have access to your chair and sit on your imaginary friend. HAHA

Also, go out and buy some crime scene tape and place it across the chairs. Might give someone second thoughts about sitting there.

And furthermore, I stand corrected, The pPlaza Bar is only on the Mariner. SOmething new with Jade.

<snip>

I think that RCCL should just go to Office Depot and get a bunch of those "will return at" clocks. If the passenger is not back at their advertised time, if the time exceeds the tolerance level selected by RCCL, or if the clock is not used then the belongings are appropriately removed by the attendant.

I LOVE this idea! Maybe I'll take one for my chair!

While I agree that chairs should not be "hogged" and thought that the antics of "switching books and shoes" was funny, I can't help but think that some of you would probably also be screaming and hollering if it was a kid or teen that moved those items!! Why do adults think they can do things that they would call unruly behavior in kids?

What has been the earliest that you have witnessed chair hogs in action? .

I get up early and run. On my last cruise I was walking at 5 am and some lady was putting towels on chairs, about 10, in her bathrobe.

I get up early and run. On my last cruise I was walking at 5 am and some lady was putting towels on chairs, about 10, in her bathrobe.

If I saw that at 5am. I would wait until the person left and then picked up all the towels and put them somewhere else. If there were personal belongings as well, I would take everything and put them on chairs at least one deck up.

If I saw that at 5am. I would wait until the person left and then picked up all the towels and put them somewhere else. If there were personal belongings as well, I would take everything and put them on chairs at least one deck up.

That is so eeeeeeeeeeeeevil.. I like it.

Archived