Sinfonia information

jdvmd

Can anyone tell me about their experience on the Sinfonia and/or information about the ports she is currently sailing to? The ports include Salerno, St. Tropez, Sardinia, Mahon, Spain, Palma de Mallorca and Genoa.

Thanks!

I've spent 3 weeks on the Sinfonia previously on a repo from Livorno to Durban, so know the ship well. I shall be returning to sail her next month on the itinerary you mentioned.

The Sinfonia is a Lirica class ship so smaller and older than most of the rest of the fleet (hence the more unusual ports). Unlike the Lirica and Opera she was acquired by MSC, rather than built to their orders. However that may mean nothing to you if you haven't sailed on MSC and probably not necessarily what you want to know.Can you tell me specifically what it is you want to know about the ship and I'll answer if I can.

I've spent 3 weeks on the Sinfonia previously on a repo from Livorno to Durban, so know the ship well. I shall be returning to sail her next month on the itinerary you mentioned.

The Sinfonia is a Lirica class ship so smaller and older than most of the rest of the fleet (hence the more unusual ports). Unlike the Lirica and Opera she was acquired by MSC, rather than built to their orders. However that may mean nothing to you if you haven't sailed on MSC and probably not necessarily what you want to know.Can you tell me specifically what it is youwant to know about the ship and I'll answer if I can.

Thanks, AmoMondo, did you enjoy yourself on the ship? Do you have a review for it? Why cruise line did she belong to originally?

Here's the link to my review

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=62937

She was previously owned by the now defunct Festival cruises and built in 2002

Thanks for sharing your great review! Sounds like you are a MSC fan. Appreciate you taking the time to point out your review and for your comments on the Sinfonia. Getting closer to booking every day.

Can anyone tell me about their experience on the Sinfonia and/or information about the ports she is currently sailing to? The ports include Salerno, St. Tropez, Sardinia, Mahon, Spain, Palma de Mallorca and Genoa.

Thanks!

Hello - I want to bring this back up since I have the same question as originally posted. I am not looking for ship info as that is well covered in reviews etc. However, any thoughts on the port stops is welcome. I researched these some months ago but have forgotten most everything. What I would love is an idea of a budget per port to see the sights. We usually go do-it-yourself for excursions. I am booked for the 24 June 13 cruise, but am having second thoughts about going through with it (may instead do more auto touring instead).

Any thoughts are appreciated such as "loved this place, easy to do whatever, didn't care for this, etc."

Hello - I want to bring this back up since I have the same question as originally posted. I am not looking for ship info as that is well covered in reviews etc. However, any thoughts on the port stops is welcome. I researched these some months ago but have forgotten most everything. What I would love is an idea of a budget per port to see the sights. We usually go do-it-yourself for excursions. I am booked for the 24 June 13 cruise, but am having second thoughts about going through with it (may instead do more auto touring instead).

Any thoughts are appreciated such as "loved this place, easy to do whatever, didn't care for this, etc."

Well would be happy to tell you of my experiences when I get onboard later in May, but suspect that will be too late if you are considering cancelling now. This is a curly new itinerary so I don't think you'll get a lot of infor on this forum yet. I'd try going over to the Ports of Call section and revese the ports. That's what I'll be doing soon to help me work out my own DIY plans.

Palma is very easy to explore on foot.There is also a HOHO bus but unless you want to go to all the points on the tour, probably just cheaper using a taxi.

Well would be happy to tell you of my experiences when I get onboard later in May, but suspect that will be too late if you are considering cancelling now. This is a curly new itinerary so I don't think you'll get a lot of infor on this forum yet. I'd try going over to the Ports of Call section and revese the ports. That's what I'll be doing soon to help me work out my own DIY plans.

Palma is very easy to explore on foot.There is also a HOHO bus but unless you want to go to all the points on the tour, probably just cheaper using a taxi.

I shall be doing this itinery from Palma on July 18th so would be very grateful if you could relate your experiences once you have sailed. Thanks

I shall be doing this itinery from Palma on July 18th so would be very grateful if you could relate your experiences once you have sailed. Thanks

No problem. I board 20 May and will probably do a "Live from...." thread

Why cruise line did she belong to originally?

She was built as a streched MISRAL class Ship (up from 48,000 to 59,000Gt) and called European Vision sailing for Festival cruises. She entered service in 2002 and was bought by MSC in 2004. She is identical to MSC Lirica and MSC Armonia (formerly European Star also sailing with festival).

The other ship in the now called Lirica Calsss is MSC Opera which differs in having more 202 balcony cabins (others 134), more 359 inside cabins (others 272) less oceanview cabins 295 ( others 371) giving a greater total number of cabins 856 (others 777) but less berths 2056 (others 2087)

Pete

PS I booked to go on her in Oct yesterday!! Same itinerary!!!

and Also going on Opera in july

Edited by Skier52

She was built as a streched MISRAL class Ship (up from 48,000 to 59,000Gt) and called European Vision sailing for Festival cruises. She entered service in 2002 and was bought by MSC in 2004. She is identical to MSC Lirica and MSC Armonia (formerly European Star also sailing with festival).

The other ship in the now called Lirica Calsss is MSC Opera which differs in having more 202 balcony cabins (others 134), more 359 inside cabins (others 272) less oceanview cabins 295 ( others 371) giving a greater total number of cabins 856 (others 777) but less berths 2056 (others 2087)

Pete

So you must be a MSC fan?

So you must be a MSC fan?

In a word YES

8 cruises completed on 6 of their ships (2 from each class so far)

2 more booked with 1 more ship to add to the list

will get a black card in november

It must be something to do with having an Italian Grandfather

Pete

In a word YES

8 cruises completed on 6 of their ships (2 from each class so far)

2 more booked with 1 more ship to add to the list

will get a black card in november

It must be something to do with having an Italian Grandfather

Pete

That is awesome! I am not Italian but love all things Italian that is why I think MSC could be a good fit for us.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Looks like we've come close a few times to being on the same cruise - definitely done the same itinerary!

I dint findnthe Sinfonia identical to the Lirica. Apart from the decor being very different on the Sinfonia, the thermal area was considerably better on the Sinfonia and she had tables/drinks service in the theatre. That said neither have balcony cabins only balcony suites and then layout feels the same.

Doing the Armonia next year and I'll be a happy camper if her thermal suite is identical to the Sinfonia.

Hi Pete,

Looks like we've come close a few times to being on the same cruise - definitely done the same itinerary!

I dint findnthe Sinfonia identical to the Lirica. Apart from the decor being very different on the Sinfonia, the thermal area was considerably better on the Sinfonia and she had tables/drinks service in the theatre. That said neither have balcony cabins only balcony suites and then layout feels the same.

Doing the Armonia next year and I'll be a happy camper if her thermal suite is identical to the Sinfonia.

HI AmoMondo

Looking carefully at the deck plans Sinfonia and Armonia are virtually identical as would expected. but differennt from Opera and Lirica on the non-accomodation decks

However Opera and Lirica have very similar non-accomodation decks but as I said Opera has an additional deck of balcony cabins, Deck 9, which are all oceanview on the other three ships. So in that respect there are two idendical twins and two fraternal twins within the Lirica Class

one could even go furher and say the class is a set of quads with one set of identical twins, and being made up of three of one sex and one of the other.

Pete

PS Maybe our paths will cross, but only if you cruise in peak (expensive) school holiday times

PPS lovely place Edinburgh, I lived just outside in Kirknewton in 1967 from Feb to Oct, and have great memories of that time

Edited by Skier52

No problem. I board 20 May and will probably do a "Live from...." thread

And we board 10th June so will do something similar :-)

Thank you both so much....I am searching for things to do in each port so will be interested in your findings :)

Hi Pete,

Are the balcony suites true suites with any amenities?

Are the balcony suites true suites with any amenities?

The balcony suites (Cat.11) are essentially large cabins, 220-230 sq ft ( ~270 sq ft including the balcony) as against a standard balcony cabin (on Opera only, Cat. 10) of 130 sq ft ( 160 sq ft including the balcony) on this class of ship.

The oceanview and inside cabins on all of this class of ship are 130 sq ft.

The other difference is the balcony suite has a bath whereas the balcony cabin has a shower. I don't know of any other amenties above and beyond the other grades of cabin.

Interestingly the average size of cabins gets larger as you go from Lirica class to Musica class to Fantasia class

LIRICA CLASS

Balcony suites (not including balcony) 230sq ft

Balcony Cabins (not including balcony) 130 sq ft

Ocean View 130 sq ft

Inside 130 sq ft

MUSICA CLASS

Balcony suites (not including balcony) 250sq ft

Balcony Cabins (not including balcony) 180 sq ft

Ocean View 160 sq ft

Inside 130 sq ft

FANTASIA CLASS

Balcony suites (not including balcony) 290sq ft (Cat. 12 on Fantasia and Splendida only)

Balcony Cabins (not including balcony) 190 sq ft

Ocean View 180 sq ft

Inside 130 - 160 sq ft

Then there are Aurea Spa suites and Yacht Club suites

• 7 months later...

Wanted to give this thread a little bump.

It took me a while but I finally get to sail on the Sinfonia next July. Looking at cabins right now and I am trying to decide the difference between the balcony suites on Deck 12 or Deck 10. Is one better than the other?

Also, if someone could recommend an inside and oceanview cabin, I would appreciate it. Our daughter and her friend may be joining us on this cruise. They are used to camping and doing stuff like that so they don't require a lot of extras.

Finally, for those that did this trip last year, any recommendations on what to do in the ports? The only change is Cannes was substituted for St. Tropez.

Thanks, Linda.

Wanted to give this thread a little bump.

It took me a while but I finally get to sail on the Sinfonia next July. Looking at cabins right now and I am trying to decide the difference between the balcony suites on Deck 12 or Deck 10. Is one better than the other?

Also, if someone could recommend an inside and oceanview cabin, I would appreciate it. Our daughter and her friend may be joining us on this cruise. They are used to camping and doing stuff like that so they don't require a lot of extras.

Finally, for those that did this trip last year, any recommendations on what to do in the ports? The only change is Cannes was substituted for St. Tropez.

Thanks, Linda.

I would say that 1001 to 1019 would quieter than the rest of deck 10 as the bulk of cabins, 1021 and higher numbers, are beneath the pool deck and cafeteria area and may be subject to noise from the deck above. dragging chairs and sunbeds etc.

Deck 12 cabins have the sun deck above them, but in my experience it was sparingly used as we were late in the season Oct 28 to Nov 3. What the noise level would be like on a summer cruise I don't know.

Pete

I would say that 1001 to 1019 would quieter than the rest of deck 10 as the bulk of cabins, 1021 and higher numbers, are beneath the pool deck and cafeteria area and may be subject to noise from the deck above. dragging chairs and sunbeds etc.

Deck 12 cabins have the sun deck above them, but in my experience it was sparingly used as we were late in the season Oct 28 to Nov 3. What the noise level would be like on a summer cruise I don't know.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. Is there any difference in the cabins themselves? Should we just go with the cheaper balcony suite? Any difference between the two balcony cabins?

Also, any recommendations on the insides or outsides?

Thanks, Linda.

There is no difference in the balcony suites on decks 10 & 12 other than location. Some have the bathroom on the right and others on the left but they are all the same size and have the same facilities. I much prefer deck 12 because it is quieter and handy for the sun trap above the pool deck just outside the door to the suites. I'd only go to deck 10 if I could be quite far forward so as to avoid noise from the pool deck.

Sounds good. Any differences between the Aurea balcony suites (S3) versus the regular balcony suites (S2) ? Price is $100 less total for the S2s.

Not in terms of the cabins themselves. This is a new price structure coming into effect in 2014. They will have some perks (not sure what as I've not yet got my head around the differences in benefits yet). Physically they are locTed closer to the spa.

I would add that when talking about the spa, the Sinfonia (and Armonia) have the best thermal areas in the fleet, so definitely worth spending time there. The Turkish bath is gorgeous. Also love those heated recliners and just looking out to sea.