Trapped in a wal-mart

AFuncruiser

I find this all very strange. Early this morning, you started a thread about how much you hate the shops in port....:eek:....a little confused...:eek:...after 47 cruises...THIS one is the one with all of the complaints. What is your next thread going to be?

Just to let you know...I am not a Carnival cheerleader. As a matter of fact, we have one booked and wish we could cancel. Unfortunately, we booked Early Saver and would loose our deposit.

Point being...not disagreeing that this IS a Walmart cruise line..just the way people dress, for the most part is disturbing.....BUT.... I am trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish. Stirring the pot perhaps?

Interesting question and observation.. I started to reply to a response on the thread about ports and decided my response merited a separated thread. I wanted to share my disappointment with the Valor cruise and perhaps forewarn fellow cruisers with my observations. I have said for years get me on the water away from land at a good price and I am a happy cruiser.. Well this cruise was the exception.

There were so many little things beyond those already mentioned that were just disappointing with this cruise and the ship. I have been doing one or two Trans Atlantic cruises a year and perhaps I am spoiled with the level of sophistication of the Trans Atlantic cruisers and other cruise lines.

Perhaps there is some truth about stirring the pot like many threads and responses on this board.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

OH - THAT kind of lounge! LOL I was thinking lounge CHAIRS - and what the hey - if you don't like the way they face - turn them around! I see people do that all the time.

They had a huge round one at the top of Voyager of the Seas and if there 10 people in it our whole cruise that would have been a lot. It was always empty - you couldn't even get a drink.

I admit it. I was thinking the same thing...:D

QUOTE lovebelle

Oh come on people! The guy can be a stockholder, platinum, and still have a poor cruise experience! Geez!!!

----------------------------------------------------

Agree!

He told us about an unfortunate cruise. No reason to be upset with him for giving us his honest opinion.

LuLu

~~~~

I hope it was just a one time thing. Similar happened to us at a Disney hotel a few years at the holidays. We were surrounded by trashy people truthfully. It hasn't happened since though and we've stayed at the same hotel three times with no issues, so I hope it's the same with Carnival.

perhaps I am spoiled with the level of sophistication of the Trans Atlantic cruisers and other cruise lines...

I agree that anybody can have a bad cruise experience (I know I've had my share), and you should be able to express your dissatisfaction without people pouncing on you.

However, I wonder if you had some unrealistic expectations with this cruise. With all due respect, I wouldn't expect "sophistication" on a Carnival cruise, and even less on a Carnival cruise out of San Juan. :o

Curious if you researched this ship and itinerary before you sailed or if you assumed that it would be just like the others.

Interesting question and observation.. I started to reply to a response on the thread about ports and decided my response merited a separated thread. I wanted to share my disappointment with the Valor cruise and perhaps forewarn fellow cruisers with my observations. I have said for years get me on the water away from land at a good price and I am a happy cruiser.. Well this cruise was the exception.

There were so many little things beyond those already mentioned that were just disappointing with this cruise and the ship. I have been doing one or two Trans Atlantic cruises a year and perhaps I am spoiled with the level of sophistication of the Trans Atlantic cruisers and other cruise lines.

Perhaps there is some truth about stirring the pot like many threads and responses on this board.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

Hi! I am interested to hear when you sailed, where your cabin was, what the worst of the worst areas were etc. I am a first time cruiser and will be on the Valor over a holiday next month and I was hoping for a relaxing quiet romantic birthday beach bum trip but I have read that often times the cruises out of PR can be the opposite. I will be taking any advice I can get to make our experience wonderful. Thanks!!!

I hope it was just a one time thing. Similar happened to us at a Disney hotel a few years at the holidays. We were surrounded by trashy people truthfully. It hasn't happened since though and we've stayed at the same hotel three times with no issues, so I hope it's the same with Carnival.

Omg, Disney World was the WORST of any of my vacations! I happened to go over Easter...big big mistake. I would go back but I would ONLY go with adults only in the middle of the school year.

Bad trips happen, I completely agree. :)

Hi! I am interested to hear when you sailed, where your cabin was, what the worst of the worst areas were etc. I am a first time cruiser and will be on the Valor over a holiday next month and I was hoping for a relaxing quiet romantic birthday beach bum trip but I have read that often times the cruises out of PR can be the opposite. I will be taking any advice I can get to make our experience wonderful. Thanks!!!

As a first time cruiser you will have a great time. Don't worry.

Dennis

Heck, I like Walmart...Same food and common products as the higher retail stores at a cheaper price.D

I like Wal Mart too, but I don't think that the $4 Garanimal pajamas I get for my toddler children are the same common product as the ones I buy at higher retail stores (and yes, there's a huge difference in the quality).

Same can be said for Carnival. Cheaper cruise, but not necessarily the same quality as the more expensive ones.

Sometimes I feel like going cheap, sometimes I feel like spending more for a nicer product, whether I'm shopping for toddler pajamas or cruises. :o

I'm sorry to hear that your last cruise on the Valor was so disappointing. My only cruise experience so far was on the Valor in 2009 and I had a terrific time! Sailing again soon and hope to have a repeat experience.

I like Wal Mart too, but I don't think that the $4 Garanimal pajamas I get for my toddler children are the same common product as the ones I buy at higher retail stores (and yes, there's a huge difference in the quality).

Same can be said for Carnival. Cheaper cruise, but not necessarily the same quality as the more expensive ones.

Sometimes I feel like going cheap, sometimes I feel like spending more for a nicer product, whether I'm shopping for toddler pajamas or cruises. :o

Actually I enjoy Wal-Mart in small doses .. I always think it is like going to a carnival or fair.

Dennis :)

I was very disappointed with my recent cruise On the Carnival Valor. It started with a 9:30pm lifeboat drill with screaming children and fainting ladies and it was down hill from there.. The cruise director obviously loved to hear his own voice as the announcements seemed endless and at odd hours. There were screaming children running up and down the hallways after midnight. I thought the pool area was more like a pit or arena. I miss the front facing lounges that are on most other cruise lines.

In General I felt I was trapped in a Wal-Mart while on board.

With 47 cruises under my belt, a Carnival Platinum cruiser and Carnival stock holder I regret to say that other than the convenience of the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville I never care to take another Carnival cruise.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

OP, that's too bad you didn't enjoy your vacation. I'm sailing on the Valor in August and I'm really looking forward to it. Anyway, I'm a little puzzled as to why a screaming baby and a woman fainting at the muster drill ruined your cruise?? :confused:

I'm sure anyone would prefer they NOT faint if they can help it but how exactly did this inconvenience you?? I don't get it. And we all know screaming babies sometimes can't be helped and the best thing for the parents to do is to leave the area. But I'm not sure they allow anyone to leave the muster stations until AFTER the drill is complete. In this instance I'm sure the parents could've used a little empathy as I'm sure the screaming and crying was bothering them just as much (or possibly even more so) as you.

You aren't a newbie so I'm sure you already know the situation with Carnival's muster drills happening late in San Juan due to late departure time. As a Platinum Carnival cruiser I'm also sure you already knew about the lounge situation too. :confused: As far as the overkill with the announcements I have heard that quite a few times here. And shame on the kids running and screaming through the halls and shame on their parents who let them run around unsupervised.

But aside from stating you were "trapped in a Wal-Mart," I have no idea what made this cruise so awful to you? Was it the food? Entertainment? Cruisers? At least now you know for future reference to stay away from Carnival. I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

OP, that's too bad you didn't enjoy your vacation. I'm sailing on the Valor in August and I'm really looking forward to it. Anyway, I'm a little puzzled as to why a screaming baby and a woman fainting at the muster drill ruined your cruise?? :confused:

I'm sure anyone would prefer they NOT faint if they can help it but how exactly did this inconvenience you?? I don't get it. And we all know screaming babies sometimes can't be helped and the best thing for the parents to do is to leave the area. But I'm not sure they allow anyone to leave the muster stations until AFTER the drill is complete. In this instance I'm sure the parents could've used a little empathy as I'm sure the screaming and crying was bothering them just as much (or possibly even more so) as you.

You aren't a newbie so I'm sure you already know the situation with Carnival's muster drills happening late in San Juan due to late departure time. As a Platinum Carnival cruiser I'm also sure you already knew about the lounge situation too. :confused: As far as the overkill with the announcements I have heard that quite a few times here. And shame on the kids running and screaming through the halls and shame on their parents who let them run around unsupervised.

But aside from stating you were "trapped in a Wal-Mart," I have no idea what made this cruise so awful to you? Was it the food? Entertainment? Cruisers? At least now you know for future reference to stay away from Carnival. I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Exactly...couldn't have said it better myself! I was on the Valor in July...LOVED it and will be on the Breeze shortly! It is what YOU make of it. So sad to hear you let those little trivial things ruin your trip. :(

We've still yet to have a bad vacation andwe've been on 9 cruises. How could it be bad cruising in the Carribean?

If you never been on a bad cruise--- it could be pretty bad

I only had one-- so I feel as though i had my time so the rest gotta be pretty good

I used to hate going to Wal Mart but once I started making games while there such as count the mullet haircuts and people in pajamas and such. It was more entertaining.

Hey, I resemble that remark...well not anymore. There isn't enough left for a mullet. I never did understand the pajamas thing. Still don't. :D

Sorry OP about your cruise...when it does not work it does not work if enough things add up...hope you enjoy your close ones and get on another favored experience soon....

Enough good things I still hear and in my limited experience I had a good cruise on Paradise and not so good one on Spirit...Easter Sunday departure...LOL.

I like the best budget, best mid-priced and best high-priced at a deal (LOL) things...I sense you do too...and I make 2 Wal-mart trips a month (I seriously can't ever spell it right and came back..LOL)..I know at first they may have been bad for many businesses but now I think/hope just decent competition in many areas and if not..they will suffer..just as Carnival is lately with food on many ships etc....it is always a balancing act at every price point, demographic, and certain ship/cruise date and group...and I am not down playing anything and know not a thing about Puerto Rico except I have been there once for 12 hrs on a cruise and loved it.

I wish people could both praise and vent and critique here a little more easily sometimes.

PS..And if it was Wal-mart on certain hrs, certain days, jam packed all the time...anyone would have had enough...

I just had to reply on this.

My family sailed b2b out of San Juan in the summer of 2011. We sailed on RCCL's Serenade OTS and then the Carnival Victory. We paid about 50% more for the RCCL cruise, same number of days, same balcony cabin. Our experience on the higher cost cruise was absolutely second class compared to the "bargain" cruise. The Victory had far superior food, more fun activities and the service was better in every way from the steward to the bartenders to the waitstaff. We even found the stateroom to be laid out better. The real kicker? Our "neighbors" were even a more pleasant bunch on Carnival that year. There was no rude late night noise or door slamming. The elevator etiquette lacked slightly, but you can't win them all.

I guess I'm just trying to say that higher $$ is not always an indicator of quality. In this specific experience, it definitely wasn't!

Archived