Help! I need some suggestions for inexpensive shore excursions for a family of five

Help! This is our first HAL cruise and first to the E. Carrib. Would like some suggestions for inexpensive shore excursions for our family of five. Our kids are aged 11, 12, 16. We will be visiting Nassau, St. Maarten, Tortola, and Half Moon Cay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Beach time is about the least expensive (free) thing you can do. In Nassau you can grab a cab and head around to a public beach and arrange with the driver to return to pick you up at a fixed time. Or you could stroll through the straw market, through town, or even take an extended walk up the hill to the old fortress. Just head for the tower. You can also go to Atlantis, but without paying the $25 entry fee into The Digs you will be limited to what you can do there.

Half Moon Cay is the best beach in the Caribbean, IMO. Just go ashore and enjoy the beautiful waters. I haven't yet visited the other places, so I can't suggest anything there.

Scroll down the main Boards page to Ports of Call and read the entries for St. Martin, British Virgin Islands (or Tortola), Nassau, etc. You may get some ideas there that may be less expensive than going on ship's excursion.

In St. Martin, it's easy to get a cab/van from port to a beach -- with 3 kids you might prefer to go to Dawn Beach rather than to Orient Beach which has some clothing optional sections. We did the Rhino Riders there which your kids would enjoy -- 2 people per little boat, kind of like a jetski, but it might be too expensive when you're booking 4 or 5 people.

Half Moon Cay will not cost you anything to enjoy the beach.

I second the motion to go to public beach on Paradise Island at Nassau -- access is next to hotel that's past the Atlantis. Only cost would be the taxi from/to ship -- also a ferry runs from ship's port to Paradise Island and then you'd have to walk from that to beach access, about 1/2 mile to 1 mile more.

From the itinerary, I'm assuming you're on Westerdam -- when are you going?

Assume that your cruise isn't until this fall - Westerdam schedule.

There is a ferry shuttle in Tortola - I wish I could remember the name - that you can take to the Baths on your own - great beach.

And yes you do want to keep the children away from Orient Beach in St Maarten.

HMC - besides the new water park - right at the beach. There is also the stingray adventure.

And yes you do want to keep the children away from Orient Beach in St Maarten.

On the French side of the island, almost any beach will have nude children on it. IE I was on the boat thingy with underwater view port excursion in Feb, and on the very small beach next to it was a family with two little girls, 4 yo nude and 5 panties only (I am guessing ages) parents dressed...

Haven't been yet, but here's some info on inexpensive things to do in Tortola that I gleaned while researching for our upcoming cruise:

1. Sage Mtn Natl Park (at 1,716 feet, is The BVI's highest point. Within its lush boundaries you will find mahoganies, hanging vines, enormous elephant ears, white cedars, and kapok trees, thick ferns and many other local flora.) - Hiking

2. JR O'Neal Botanical Gardens - Indigenous and exotic flora and fauna

3. Brewers Bay - good snorkling; can take a taxi; chair rentals $5 (or just use a towel)

4. Island tours at cruise ship dock - $15/person

5. Rent bikes or kayaks from Last Stop Sports

Speedy's ferry will cost you $25 round trip. That includes the shuttle from the dock to the Baths. I think there is a deal that also includes lunch, but you'd have to check that on their Web site. http://www.speedysbvi.com

There are other ferry options as well -- all from the same general area. It's about a 10-minute walk from where the ship docks.

At the Baths they charge $3/pp entrance fee.

The trail down to the beaches is fun -- kids would love it! Lots of caves to splash in, rocks to climb. Snorkeling/swimming is great. The path back to the parking lot is not as steep with no climbing.

You can always print them out and try! ;)

There were 5 of us, and I had 5 coupons, nicely cut out, etc. When the woman refused to take them, we walked away ... hoping she'd relent. Not so! And since the other ferries had schedules we didn't like, and Speedy's had one leaving in a few minutes, we paid the $25.

Like you said, Bill, not much you can do ...

We went to Everything Cool Outdoor Restaurant, (Downtown area) had drinks and a light lunch. They have a checkroom there for whatever. Then you can walk right out on the beach. I think they also rented chairs. We went about 2 blocks further up the beach, and it wasn't crowded at all. I prefered the beach there to Orient as the day we were at Orient the water was rough. We would definitely do this again. I wish all the Itinerarys included St. Maarten.

There are also Mini Vans that make a loop threw the downtown area and go to the French side. (Marigot). The van is very inexpensive and the local people are helpful as to where to get the bus and where to get off. The vans run very often. In Marigot there is a nice marina area with shops and restaurants and the little town is fun to walk threw. We have done this many times and have enjoyed the ride over there.

This is my first time using Cruise Critic and it is GREAT!!!!
I have avoided so much frustration/aggrivation by getting good advice from the folks on this board. Don't be a stranger. There's always something new to learn. And when you return from your cruise, share your experiences with us so we can learn from you as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Stingray encounter on HMC. It is pretty cheap ($20 p/p, I think) and there are not many people on it... We went for the 2nd tour of the day so that we could get off the boat first and enyoy out time on HMC.

Archived