Bar service

jackieo

Just got off our first P&O cruise. One thing I couldn't understand was the bar service. They didn't appear to want you to sit up at the bar and when you did. Wait staff still took your order. Even at the coffee place Java. I wanted a takeaway coffee and when I tried to order at the counter I was asked to take a seat and a waiter took my order. Any ideas?

If you order from a waiter he automatically gets a % of the cost as a gratuity, which is why bar staff will often get one to take and deliver your order even if you are sitting at the bar. Which is annoying as it can take several minutes to get a drink which the barman could have poured and handed over the bar in seconds.

Yes they don't like people sitting at the bar, or appear not to. i have experienced this on Ventura in the Exchange but in contrast the Yacht and Compass and winners on Oceana had no problems.

I did notice a lack of bar staff so they were spending their time mixing drinks for waiters, another cutback i suppose.

[quote name='Denarius']If you order from a waiter he automatically gets a % of the cost as a gratuity, which is why bar staff will often get one to take and deliver your order even if you are sitting at the bar. Which is annoying as it can take several minutes to get a drink which the barman could have poured and handed over the bar in seconds.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was frustrating and we seemed to have to wait a while for the drinks. That was the only downside. Our other cruises have been on princess and we always have a really good time with the bartenders. They even have time to chat and make the experience much nicer.

[quote name='jackieo']Just got off our first P&O cruise. One thing I couldn't understand was the bar service. They didn't appear to want you to sit up at the bar and when you did. Wait staff still took your order. Even at the coffee place Java. I wanted a takeaway coffee and when I tried to order at the counter I was asked to take a seat and a waiter took my order. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I always sit up at the bar on whichever ship I am on. I get my drink very quickly and the payment is done by the wait staff rather than the barmen as they are busy getting my drinks. I find if you use the same bar all the time your drink appears sometimes before you sit down. Lords Tavern is excellent for this as is Champions also the Glass House and Ramblas. Not keen on Rising Sun as the actual bar is out of the way. On Arcadia we tend to use Spinnakers

As far as the coffee is concerned the barmen will spend all the time making the coffee, although I have seen people standing waiting for their takeaways.

It is all to do with the wait staff getting their 15%. The barmen are on different pay conditions so must not get the tip. It is just their system.

Ever tried to get a drink in a Hilton hotel, same idea.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Archived