Can you use a Starbucks gift card at Starbucks on Allure?

I've read this before but I'm still surprised since RCI's system is an internal one that normally only accepts sea passes. They don't accept any other form of payment so how can they take a Starbuck's card? Why is that an exception? Just wondering.

I would guess that Starbucks made it a requirement in order for Royal to be given the rights to put one on board.

I don't think so. We have a "Starbucks" at work. They use all the Starbucks name brand items-syrup, cups,signs, logos etc and we can't use our card there. The name can be used without having a franchise per se.

My point was really that in order to use your Starbucks card onboard, the computer/register has to be able to connect directly to the system that handles the cards. That means a modem/satellite direct connection. That's an entirely different setup than the rest of the registers onboard in order to do that. Plus we all know how "good" the internet connections are onbaord.:rolleyes:

While waiting to tender into Cabo when the Mariner was still sailing the West Coast we saw a sign that direct crew that played World of Warcraft to bring their computers to X place at X time. WOW requires a must better connection than what is publicly available to passengers to function properly. Not to mention the ship needs to be able to run credit cards nightly that would require a much better connection in order to be effective (can you imagine running 4000 credit cards on the public computer speed?).

I have a theory that the ship internet connection as two speeds - employee speed and guest speed. So my guess (if the theory hold true) the back of house internet is at least better than the "front of house" system, i would even guess (based on the WOW) that it is pretty damn good.

Yes, they accept Starbucks Cards on Allure...and if your card is registered you earn 'Stars' just like on land. I used mine most days onboard Allure last month.

They have a separate machine at the Starbucks just for running through Starbucks cards, which prints out a separate receipt, listing your purchase having been made at Allure of the Seas in Miami, Florida, and providing an up to date card balance...so yes, it connects via satellite Internet to the Starbucks card payment system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am assuming that this only pertains to the Starbucks on the Oasis class. It probably wouldn't work on the Jewel where Starbucks is served in Latte-tudes? Or would it?

This would be great if it did. Working on achieving gold level and that would help..lol.

I am assuming that this only pertains to the Starbucks on the Oasis class. It probably wouldn't work on the Jewel where Starbucks is served in Latte-tudes? Or would it?

This would be great if it did. Working on achieving gold level and that would help..lol.

I've read here that the Starbucks cards are only accepted on Oasis and Allure.

I have a theory that the ship internet connection as two speeds - employee speed and guest speed. So my guess (if the theory hold true) the back of house internet is at least better than the "front of house" system, i would even guess (based on the WOW) that it is pretty damn good.

Presumably, even with the recent upgrade, it would have to be satellite internet, in which case the round trip to outer space and back is always going to have a lag.......both for employees and guests.

I've read here that the Starbucks cards are only accepted on Oasis and Allure.

Wish they'd add that ability to Freedom. I had loaded up my card ahead of time, just in case, but was told they didn't accept it there (Cafe Promenade is where the Starbucks is). Not yet anyhow.

So if I purchase a Starbucks gift card for a certain amount of money on the card here in the states, I can use that when I'm on board the Oasis?

Yes, you can use the card at Starbucks on Oasis or Allure.

What are the prices like on the Allure for Starbucks?

I don't remember, but I thought someone had posted earlier that the prices were the same as on land.

Edited by clarea

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...