What's the logic here?

Signet

So my NCL cruise dropped the price of my cabin by just about 800 dollars ( after final payment). I called and was able to get a small OBC, which was better than nothing. I thought about it a day, and looked again at the prices, a 3 day limited special, was being held. So I called again and said I wanted to up grade to a suite (currently booked in a mini suite), at the new special deal. Which would have added about 600 dollars more to my cruise cost. But I was willing to go for it. I was told that the deal was new booking only. If I wanted to up grade they would take away the OBC they give the day before ( I understand that), and charge me the non sale price ( about 1000 more). The cruise is 3 weeks away, they are obviously trying to fill the ship. Yet they would not let me upgrade for the discounted price. I did not take the crumby deal they offered me, and elected to stay in my Mini suite. But it has put a sour taste on my first NCL cruise. I have cruised numerous times before, on other cruise lines. Why would they not sell me the upgrade at the cost they are advertising? Just does not seem right to me.

But I was willing to give them even more of my money, for the upgrade. I was not asking for anything special, just a cabin at the advertised price. Which opens up a cabin at a lesser price, presumably easier to sell.

Right now they are about +$800 on your mini-suite since you paid more for it then it is currently worth. If the let you upgrade at the sale price, they will lose the $800 extra dollars you paid for the mini-suite (when they sell it at the sale price). If you have to pay the non-sale price for suite they will at least recoup $400 of that. Did I explain that right?

Also, it may be easier for them to sell the suite at the sale price then a mini-suite.

That makes sense.

However it is bad customer relations. Because unless the cruise line just blows me away with the entire NCL experience I will not cruise with them again. Like I mentioned its my first NCL cruise, and I take a yearly vacation on a cruise. I do not believe I was asking for anything outlandish I just wanted to pay the advertised price for the suite. Now I feel like I'm over paying by a lot. This was not a 50 dollar price drop. It was a major major price drop. I have never seen a cruise price drop by this much. I just feel cheated !!

You might try another call closer to sailing. They may say no but you might be surprised. Also, not saying you weren't, but if you do, be ever so polite. I've learned through various dealings with agents of all kinds - airline etc, it always pays to be super nice.

That makes sense.

However it is bad customer relations. Because unless the cruise line just blows me away with the entire NCL experience I will not cruise with them again. Like I mentioned its my first NCL cruise, and I take a yearly vacation on a cruise. I do not believe I was asking for anything outlandish I just wanted to pay the advertised price for the suite. Now I feel like I'm over paying by a lot. This was not a 50 dollar price drop. It was a major major price drop. I have never seen a cruise price drop by this much. I just feel cheated !!

I agree with you about bad PR. I was just pointing out that $ was obviously their motivation.

You booked at a price you were happy with?

They have cabins to fill at fire sale rates with three weeks to go. If they move you, they haven't filled a room, merely moved you.

And....they WILL blow you away with experience. You'll be back.

I am not sure why they aren't able to upgrade you. The Suite prices dropped on our cruise last week and I was able to upgrade to an SJ Family Suite for no additional money over what I had paid for the mini suite, I even got an additional $100 in OBC somehow. I just called my TA and he called and got us changed to the Suite. This was just over 2 weeks before sailing. There were a lot of suites available at the time and the mini suites were almost sold out so maybe that was the reason. The mini that I had was quickly booked again.

Adding - I had just upgraded from a balcony to the mini suite the week before for an additional $20 so I got the SJ suite for just $20 over what I had originally paid for the balcony and my OBC was originally $50 and I now have $150 so my net deal is $80 less than what I paid for the balcony at 8 months out. I know this is a fabulous deal that I may not ever see again.

OP - I totally understand your frusterations and agree that NCL is being ridiculous. I would call again and get another representative. I seem to get better resolution on the weekends with NCL Customer Service for some reason. :eek: If I don't like the resolution I call back again later and I have had various resolutions offered to my situation. I know it sounds odd, but give it try. Best of Luck! One thing to remember is that the customer service you receive on the ship far outweights the customer service extended from NCL on land.

Did you book direct or via a travel agent? some travel agents seem to really go to bat for their clients, while others do not seem to wish to be bothered. same, I think with customer service reps for cruiselines. if you really wish to upgrade, and booked directly take another swing at it with a different rep if you booked directly. perhaps try escalating to a supervisor. I do not know if NCL has a problem resolution dept, but if they do, try there too. if you use a TA, they have to act on your behalf.

You mention other cruiselines. I know both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity regularly do "new bookings only" specials...every single week people have this issue on those lines. Regular reps cannot give existing customers those prices...sometimes their resolutions dept lets existing guests upgrade...other times people hear flat no regardless how many people they involve in the discussion. So this is not an NCL only issue. I do not sail any of the Carnival associated lines enough to know their rules.

I am sorry you are frustrated. I hope you eventually get a deal that pleases you. In the end, the cruiselines have a right to say a deal is a deal at final payment time. Enjoy the trip regardless.

Simple. You're already locked in. And they believe that they have a better chance of getting a new booking into the suite as opposed to a new booking into your cabin.

They still offered you a significant discount, just not the price available for the new booking. They weren't under any obligation to offer you anything after final payment date.

Yes, it is a fact that NCL does not "owe anything to the OP" since the final payment has passed. However, it makes logical sense that NCL would want to extend exceptional customer service and work out an amicable resolution with the customer to keep him happy. Just saying...... :cool:

I disagree. The OP isn't trying to get what he's "owed". He's trying to pay more. Why should paying to upgrade to a suite be any different than an inside to OV or OV to balcony? If the suite is being reduced in price for new bookings only, NCL is obviously having trouble selling the suite. Isn't that why NCL does upsell calls? I'm with the OP--I don't see the logic. But I say $600 saved is $600 earned.

OP, if the 3 day sale has ended, check prices for the cabin you want and call again to see what they are willing to do. Some of the others may be technically correct about after final payment, NCL not owing you anything, etc., but these are the folks who miss out on the good ugrade deals because they never ask.

Several people on our May cruise roll call, including myself, got great upgrade deals in the last couple weeks for little $$ or free, so it does happen. No guarantees, depending on cabin availability and how the cruise is selling, lots of factors, but too soon to give up IMO. Every week closer to sail date can change what they are willing to do.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Either way, enjoy your cruise. We love NCL.

Thanks for all the comments. I never said NCL owes me anything, we bought the mini suite at an agreed upon price months ago. But an price drop of this magnitude ($800.00) tells me the ship is not anywhere near full.My wife and I usually get a full size suite, but we did not this time for a couple of reasons. First because of the expense of this trip (the Baltic), with airfare,and excursions which are quite expensive. Some of the excursions will last 8 to 12 hours, we figured we not really have a great amount of time in the suite anyway. But we do enjoy the perks that come with suites.

The whole point of my post was really just to cry out loud, because NCL would not let me buy an upgrade at an advertised price. It still does not feel right. I have never experienced this with any other cruise line I have traveled. Buying an upgrade to me seems to be a no brainier for the cruise line. But whatever they want to do I just a customer.

OP, if the 3 day sale has ended, check prices for the cabin you want and call again to see what they are willing to do. Some of the others may be technically correct about after final payment, NCL not owing you anything, etc., but these are the folks who miss out on the good ugrade deals because they never ask.

Several people on our May cruise roll call, including myself, got great upgrade deals in the last couple weeks for little $$ or free, so it does happen. No guarantees, depending on cabin availability and how the cruise is selling, lots of factors, but too soon to give up IMO. Every week closer to sail date can change what they are willing to do.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Either way, enjoy your cruise. We love NCL.

Very, very good advice Brenda! That is one reason we no longer use a travel agent and book directly with NCL. We book early and then are constantly wheeling and dealing with NCL! :cool:

Very, very good advice Brenda! That is one reason we no longer use a travel agent and book directly with NCL. We book early and then are constantly wheeling and dealing with NCL! :cool:

Hi, Camz! We do usually use a TA, big box one, but they are very good about calling for us, never an attitude. I wonder if doing it on your own make any difference in the outcome. I know it helps if you have a really good PCC:)

Archived