One lens, Europe

For Nikon, if you can only take one I would recommend the 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I have taken it with a D7000 (DX) and a D800 (FX). Not the sharpest lens in my drawer, but a good all around one. Kind of heavy to carry all day, every day but the reach is worth it. Keep in mind that this lens draws attention -- and not always the right kind. Serious thieves know how your camera's lens release works. In Russia, Turkey, and Morocco I've had people grab the camera and try to take it off. If you care about your camera/lens you might invest in a camera strap that is difficult to cut with a knife -- one saved me from a thief in a crowd in Russia.

If the weight/size mean a lot to you, then I would recommend the 50mm f/1.4.

I have found that in Europe, many of the best museums don't permit cameras (whether you're using flash or not). Most cathedrals/churches are OK with them, although some do not permit a monopod or tripod. Hope this helps. :)

The 18-200, 18-270 or 18-300 are a good all in one option with an APS C size sensor but you might want to take a fast and very small 50 1.8 (or the Canon 40 2.8 STM pancake) for shooting at night too.

First question is are you shooting DX or FX?

If DX, go with the 35mm, FX-55mm

The 1.8 versions are fine. No need to go to 1.4 IMO.

I no longer have my D7000, but the 35mm f/1.8 was a fantastic DX lens, I used it successfully in many different lighting situations.

As far as f/1.4 goes, for most shots I am in full agreement. However, since the sharpest F stop is usually at least 1 or 2 stops above wide open, once or twice in a dimly lit cathedral I wished for an f/1.4...but this really is the exception rather than the rule. :)

Archived