Delos Ferry schedule mid-May, with 8am Norwegian Jade arrival (plus lunch question)

mikeerdas

Will be in Mykonos on a Wed morning in mid-May, with our ship (Norwegian Jade) arriving at 8am, departing 6pm.

Can anyone tell me:

* What's the ferry schedule for Delos and how many euros is it? And is it cash only to pay?

* How do I get from the tender pier to the ferry? Hopefully walking.

* Since it seems absurd to pay for an excursion to Delos, how long can I expect it to take to get to the ferry pier on my own once the ship docks?

I know in another thread, some say, for Santorini--also a tender pier--that folks often pay for an excursion just to get off the ship first. Hope that's not necessary for Delos. Just re-confirming, but sounds like it's not.

Also, given the time-table (ship arriving in Mykonos @ 8am, and independently getting off the ship, then taking the ferry), what should our plans be for lunch? One reason I wouldn't want to do a paid excursion anyway is that it's often so rushed and regimented; not leaving me sufficient time to linger around what I personally think is interesting.

Since there's evidently only a small, very expensive snack bar on the island, what do folks recommend for lunch? Again, don't want to rush off Delos. Should we make sandwiches, or create some sort of picnic lunch, while on the Jade and bring that in our daypacks in ziploc bags? Or are there food stalls near the Delos ferry pier where we could purchase a picnic lunch to take with us? Or stick with food from the ship, then try to grab a very early dinner in Mykonos before tendering back to the ship? Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Mykonos with great views?

Since Delos seems to close so early (3pm), definitely sounds like I'd want to get to Delos as early in the morning as possible, then do any Mykonos town strolling later.

I see there's a ferry schedule search engine here:

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

However, which Mykonos ferry code would I use for wherever the Norwegian Jade would tender me to? I'm given two options:

MYK, Port

MYC, Town

Don't want to automatically assume Port is the correct one. For anyone else reading, the port code for DELOS is DLS.

We docked when we visited Mykonos in October on the Crown Princess. From the dock, it was a mile or two to the ferry. It was not a good walk. Along busy, winding street with narrow shoulder. We took the shuttle to the edge of town and walked to the ferry from there. Seems like it was 4 or 5 Euros per person each way.

If you are docked, the time is pretty predictable. You should be able to make a ferry 9am or later. If tendered, it will depend on how quickly you can get on a tender and how far it is to the island. I am not familiar with NCL's tendering program

Hi, Paul! I saw the cruise ship tenders dock when we took the ferry to Delos at the Port in Old Town, which is the same dock as the ferry to Delos. So, OP, if your ship tenders to Mykonos, you will be right at the ferry dock.

Buy tickets in the kiosk right behind the little white chapel with the blue trim. The kiosk is well marked. We paid cash, so I don't know whether they take credit cards. It is €15 RT PP, and just buy itickets there. Admission to the site at Delos €5. There are no real lunch options there. The ferry schedule when we were there was 9, 10, and 11 am to Delos and return at 12:15, 1:30, and 3 pm. (Closed Monday)

We took the 10 am ferry there and returned on the 1:30, then had a late lunch in Mykonos.

Will be in Mykonos on a Wed morning in mid-May, with our ship (Norwegian Jade) arriving at 8am, departing 6pm.

Can anyone tell me:

* What's the ferry schedule for Delos and how many euros is it? And is it cash only to pay?

* How do I get from the tender pier to the ferry? Hopefully walking.

* Since it seems absurd to pay for an excursion to Delos, how long can I expect it to take to get to the ferry pier on my own once the ship docks?

I know in another thread, some say, for Santorini--also a tender pier--that folks often pay for an excursion just to get off the ship first. Hope that's not necessary for Delos. Just re-confirming, but sounds like it's not.

Also, given the time-table (ship arriving in Mykonos @ 8am, and independently getting off the ship, then taking the ferry), what should our plans be for lunch? One reason I wouldn't want to do a paid excursion anyway is that it's often so rushed and regimented; not leaving me sufficient time to linger around what I personally think is interesting.

Since there's evidently only a small, very expensive snack bar on the island, what do folks recommend for lunch? Again, don't want to rush off Delos. Should we make sandwiches, or create some sort of picnic lunch, while on the Jade and bring that in our daypacks in ziploc bags? Or are there food stalls near the Delos ferry pier where we could purchase a picnic lunch to take with us? Or stick with food from the ship, then try to grab a very early dinner in Mykonos before tendering back to the ship? Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Mykonos with great views?

Since Delos seems to close so early (3pm), definitely sounds like I'd want to get to Delos as early in the morning as possible, then do any Mykonos town strolling later.

Mike,

I just saw your post. You got the info on getting on the ferry to Delos from other posters. Some of the kiosks also let you add on a guided tour of the ruins. They are very reasonable and informative. It will cost you far less that your ship's tour.

BRING WATER and a snack if you wish.

For restaurants in Mykonos, you will find many good tavernas in the Little Venice area where the windmills are. Great views.

And Kalos taxidi! You will have a wonderful time in Greece.

Mike,

I just saw your post. You got the info on getting on the ferry to Delos from other posters. Some of the kiosks also let you add on a guided tour of the ruins. They are very reasonable and informative. It will cost you far less that your ship's tour.

BRING WATER and a snack if you wish.

For restaurants in Mykonos, you will find many good tavernas in the Little Venice area where the windmills are. Great views.

And Kalos taxidi! You will have a wonderful time in Greece.

Thanks again Marazul. Will consider adding a guided tour when I purchase ferry tickets. Just read that the Rick Steves' med ports guidebook has a map of Delos with descriptions. Also read that Delos site guides are available for sale on Delos--something I always like to have with me if I DIY.

Wondering if anyone had any last minute advice re: the ferry and Delos. Will be heading out next week. Looks like I'm in pretty good shape with info but thought I'd ask.

Have your camera ready for the ferry's approach to Delos. The ruins are right there!

We were on the NCL Gem when we visited Mykonos and Delos. On days we had to tender, we always had breakfast at the Blue Lagoon. Reasons, to get away from the crowds at the buffet. Everybody else wanted to get off early and the buffet could be packed. The Blue Lagoon, on the other hand, is usually quiet in the morning and they serve a good English breakfast. Service may be slow but I can just eat and walk down a flight of stairs to get in line for tender tickets. I was usually the first few in line and was able to get tickets for the first tender (also for Santorini). In fact, we were so early that the Kiosh for ferry tickets was not even open. BTW, you just need to take a few steps from the tender drop-off to the kiosh, and you take the ferry around the same spot.

We spent about 1 1/2 hour on the island, but then we did not go into all the areas. The map they provided was sufficient for us to explore on our own. We got juice and snack at the visitors center and did not find that expensive and then had a late lunch when we were back to Mykonos.

I have pictures on my blog if you need more info.

Have a great trip!

Archived