For those of you who haved stayed at the Continental Hotel, yea the pink one!

Lydia B.

I was wondering if you have stayed at the Continental Hotel pre or post cruise?

If so can you give me some input please?

I know the HOHO bus is very close, so that is a plus.

I am interested in how much it cost to get to the hotel? Did you take a taxi? The Metro...if the Metro how close is the station to the hotel?

Any information and opinions are appreciated. Thanks Lydia of Ohio

I've stayed there twice post cruise. We took a taxi from the ship to the hotel. It was about 15 euros. There is a long taxi line getting off the ship but it moved quickly. Make sure you have their address to give to the taxi driver (I used the confirmation). I am staying their again in November pre-cruise. I know it is a funky hotel but I love it and you cannot beat the location.

I am interested in how much it cost to get to the hotel? Did you take a taxi? The Metro...if the Metro how close is the station to the hotel?

See my reply to your similar post on Hotel Husa Oriente

Most of my comments there also apply to Hotel Continental except the Continental is further up Las Ramblas nearer to Plaça Catalunya. It would only be about 4-5 minutes walk to the HoHo stop there.

We didn't stay there, but a large group from CC did so we stopped by for a visit. Someone already listed taxi to port. Taxi from airport was 42 Euros. The hotel seemed a little worn, but they have a small free buffet along with beer and wine. Nice patio area. The location is great.

We've stayed there twice - once pre cruise and once post cruise (just 2 weeks ago). We took the airport bus to and from the airport each time. It's 5,90 euros. It's the easiest airport bus we have ever taken. If you can manage your luggage, I'd recommend it. Then it's a 1.5 block (large blocks) walk to the hotel. We took a taxi to and from the port. It's about 15 euro. If you're staying pre cruise, when you're heading to the port, walk across the street to catch the taxi (again if you can manage your luggage). You'll save a few euros.

The hotel itself is a little worn. But it's so convenient and the people - both staff and other patrons -- are very nice. It's nice to walk downstairs for a snack or a drink. The metro is half a block from the hotel. There is a tourist office in the Placa (underground) by the airport bus.

thanks everyone for your input I do appreciated.

Beach Bunny since you were there so recently can I ask you a couple more questions? First of all when you're at the airport and you picked up your luggage how exactly do you get the airport bus? Another word where is it located in proximity from the luggage pickup. Also when you talk about a tourist office cue mean that it is close to the hotel?. Also appreciate the hint about crossing the street to grab a taxi I know exactly what you're saying. At the Continental what type of room did you get did you get a balcony on the street and was it that noisy? II honestly believe that I'm overthinking this a bit but I'm the one planning everything and then I'm responsible. You know how it is. Thanks again everyone. Lydia Ohio

When we left the luggage area, we turned right and walked to the next "open area" and then went down the escalator and the bus was right there. There are signs but it's not real clear or I was just tired. It's not far - less than the walk to the hotel. You can pay the driver and there is a luggage rack in the middle of the bus. The last stop is yours at Placa Catalunya.

I attached a map. The X is the tourist office. The red line is where you walk to the hotel from the bus stop.

We got a balcony room each time. It's a little noisy but too bad. The doors are thick and block out most of the noise. Both times there's been a small demonstration passing by. We thought it was funny because both times it was retired people marching.

Have a good time!

Barcelona.jpg.0a591c7078006eabe52f927466afa001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed there pre-cruise last May and loved it! It is VERY funky, run down, charming and PINK! Check out Trip Advisor reviews so you know what you are getting. If you know what to expect, you'll love the place. The location is PHENOMENAL, right on Las Ramblas and right around the corner is a taxi stand, large drugstore, tapas bars, etc. You really can't stay anywhere better in Barcelona as far as the position right on Las Ramblas. A taxi to the cruise pier was about 15 euros, very reasonable and quick and easy to catch a cab at the taxi stand.

Hi, Lydia:

We just returned from there. We stayed three days pre-cruise and another over night post cruise.

Yes... it is over the top pink. I mean PINK. We laughed and said it looked like bottle of Pepto Bismol had exploded in our room and garbed itself in matching pink quilted satin... lol

There are pros and cons to every hotel. Here's our take. Simply our opinion. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Pros

Location, location, location - You are a 1 minute walk to Placa Catalunya, the central hub of the area.

Balcony - This is why we booked the hotel. The view of La Rambla is fantastic.

Clean - In spite of being dated, the hotel was spotless.

Computer - There's a unit located in the lobby for customer use.

Pizza Emporio - Located right next door and the food is very good and inexpensive. They do sangria from cava that is fantastic.

Cons

Pink - 'nuff said.

Decor - It's dated and eccentric. Don't go looking for a Westin or Crowne. The furniture is plastic. We're talking plastic lawn chairs covered in pink quilted satin. Matching plastic satin covered stools. The "dresser" is a white plastic storage bin. The bathrooms are the same way. And you get a silver lame shower curtain thrown in for zing... lol

Buffet - Other than the toast, we skipped it. We're not fussy eaters but the pickings were slim and less than appetizing.

Lift - Sometimes it works, sometimes you wonder if you're going to get out.

Noise - If you pick a balcony room, expect it. We knew it going in and were willing to deal with the noise for the view.

The third floor is definitely nicer than the second floor. Our front end stay was in room 374. The balcony doors didn't seal tightly and the noise came right through. Our back end stay was in room 373 and the doors sealed out almost all of the noise. Regardless, we slept every night with the balcony doors open for the breeze. We were so exhausted from walking miles in Barcelona the noise didn't bother us one bit... lol

~ Sheryl

Hi, Lydia:

We just returned from there. We stayed three days pre-cruise and another over night post cruise.

Yes... it is over the top pink. I mean PINK. We laughed and said it looked like bottle of Pepto Bismol had exploded in our room and garbed itself in matching pink quilted satin... lol

There are pros and cons to every hotel. Here's our take. Simply our opinion. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Pros

Location, location, location - You are a 1 minute walk to Placa Catalunya, the central hub of the area.

Pizza Emporio - Located right next door and the food is very good and inexpensive. They do sangria from cava that is fantastic.

Cons

Pink - 'nuff said.

Decor - It's dated and eccentric. Don't go looking for a Westin or Crowne. The furniture is plastic. We're talking plastic lawn chairs covered in pink quilted satin. Matching plastic satin covered stools. The "dresser" is a white plastic storage bin. The bathrooms are the same way. And you get a silver lame shower curtain thrown in for zing... lol

Buffet - Other than the toast, we skipped it. We're not fussy eaters but the pickings were slim and less than appetizing.

Noise - If you pick a balcony room, expect it. We knew it going in and were willing to deal with the noise for the view.

The third floor is definitely nicer than the second floor. Our front end stay was in room 374. The balcony doors didn't seal tightly and the noise came right through. Our back end stay was in room 373 and the doors sealed out almost all of the noise. Regardless, we slept every night with the balcony doors open for the breeze. We were so exhausted from walking miles in Barcelona the noise didn't bother us one bit... lol

~ Sheryl

We do not agree with your comments.

The place is allways filled with cruisers!

For Europe the hotel is reasonably priced

and suitable with better standards.

We have stayed there twice,

and we were going to stay there a third,

and had reservations,

until we decided to do b2b before Barcelona!

Cancelled without penalty!

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

The location is perfect!!!!

A little nicer one is their sister,

go look at that one!!!

Free 24/7 coffee, beer ,wine, ice cream and food!

Security access, clean rooms, free wifi and free computers!

Nice patio outside of dining room!

Elevator has always worked for us!

We had a balcony room over Rambla with little noise!

We loved watching the action below with a refreshment!

Would go back again!

Seems half outr TA in November is staying there!!!!

Hi, Lydia:

Pros

Cons

Pink - 'nuff said.

~ Sheryl

I totally agree. There was very little food in the buffet bins when we were there. The elevator didn't work so we had to carry our luggage up and down the stairs. Personally I would not stay here again. Had a much better stay at the Hotel Jazz.

+1 for Hotel Continental. Concur with Freeinginmichigan comments.

Great location! We had a balcony room which is great to sit and people watch with a cold drink. Las Ramblas comes alive after dark. Would do it again.

Every visit is relative to cicumstances at the time of visit!

We would do it again also!

For some the beer wine coffee and ice cream is worth it 24/7!

The food wasn't white table cloth!

But adequate for a breaskfast lunch deli!

We did not eat dinner there!

We ate alot at local restaurant very near by- Taller Tapas in old town!

Yes we could go back, and it be horrible at Continental!!

Or we could go back and stay at Jazz and it be horrible!

It all depends on people serving you,

and the mechanicals condition at time I guess,

and what location and what experience on Rambla you are looking for?

Compare pricing also

for I have no idea at Jazz.

Jazz has good reviews. Go for it!

I have no ideas on Jazz!

Continental pricing is reasonable for Europe!

There are certainally better hotels considering your budget!

We have stayed at better and have stayed at worse across Europe!

Good luck!

Enjoy your vacation!

We stayed for three nights before our 4/17/13 NCL Spirit cruise. WOuld definately use them again. Snack bar was poor, but we just used it for breakfast and a beer/wine/soda/icecream at night so it was perfect for us. We ate lunch and dinner while we were out running the streets. Great location, nice staff. Old but clean, we only used the elevator when we had luggage or were really tired.

Enjoy Barcelona would love to go back some day!!

Dear Joannel1958, thanks for the input. Since we will going on the Spirit too and just about 1 year difference do you mind answering a couple more questions?

1. I cruise once a year but normally Caribbean..... what was the dress like on the Spirit in April during the day and for dinner?

2. did u find it warm enough to sun during any part if your cruise?

3. If not warm enough to be by the pool during sea days what did you do?

4. How did you get from the airport and to the Continental? And from the ship to the airport?

5. Finally....dang I am pushing it here. What time was your flight home vs when u could get off the ship?

Thank you so very much, can you tell I am excited about this cruise? Lydia of Ohio

I stayed there in 2010 with my best friend and her husband. They picked the hotel. When I was there, there was also a 2* hotel and a hostel in the same building. And, the elevator was iffy as to whether or not it would work. Kind of a strange setup - there are some doors where you have to buzz to get the front desk to let you in. The lobby definitely did not impress - shabby without the chic. The buffet never had anything I considered eating - I saw things sitting out there for a long time without being changed. The beer was good...

When I got to my room, the first thing that popped into my mind was, well, a house of ill repute. Waaaaay pink! The Rubbermaid storage container as the "dresser", the plastic chair. I was pretty uncomfortable in there at first. Mind you, I was used to staying in Westins and places like that. I'd run down to La Bouqueria and buy some goodies to eat. Eating area was "unique" too, with plastic floral arrangements and Rick Steves books on the shelves.

The only good thing was we were there on the day of the Champions League Final game between Barcelona and Milan. A local TV crew set up in the hotel so they could take video of the crowds down on La Rambla if Barcelona won. They brought a big screen TV in and set it up in the dining area. We got to watch the raw feed of the game.

Unless you are used to a US 2* hotel, I wouldn't recommend the Continental. But, that's my opinion. Like I said, I'm more a Westin girl...

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed there last October pre-cruise..certainly is a convenient location for Las Ramblas and Placa Catalunya. But the room is tiny. The bathroom was a good size but no shelving to speak of. I actually put the plastic chair up on top of the glass-door wardrobe cabinet to make some room to move at the foot of the bed. Bed itself was comfortable but smaller than we are used to. Wardrobe is very narrow so we stacked our suitcases upright on top of each other, in order to make walking space in the room. The buffet is alright for a light meal but not great. The common area sitting room is a good meeting point, the balcony from it is tiny so you have to take turns going out! Outdoor patio is nice but no view.

The elevator is of course small and very slow. If you just want the basics and to be in that location, it is alright. DH just describes it as a fire trap..We wouldn't stay there again, but then again we are not interested in doing the Ramblas again so would look for a different part of town. Post cruise we stayed at Hotel Curious, which is 1 block from Ramblas on the side street next to la Bouqueria. It is an old building but the hotel was completely renovated. The room is slightly larger than Continental, but the bathroom was really small and uncomfortable. Decor was spartan. Small balcony in back of the room had a lousy view. Has a breakfast buffet that is better than Continental. Elevator is even smaller than Continental.Price was good for the area, but we booked 3 days at early saver rate. Wouldn't go there again either.

My son described it as staying in a jail ( and he has never been in jail...guess it's his perception of what jail would be...lol ). He stayed in a hostel for 3 days before meeting up with his father and uncle for another 3 nights and said the Hotel Continental could not compare with how nice the hostel was.

We paid for a balcony room for 3 and yes they charge per person. Since the rooms are so small, they could not fit a 3rd bed in there so they just threw another mattress in between the 2 beds. Everytime they went out on the balcony, the lights, a/c in the room turned off and had to be reset upon re entry to the room. They had to turn in their keys before leaving the hotel and then ask for it upon returning. Never used the buffet or even drinks. My son and husband are fussy but BIL will usually eat anything but also passed on the offerings they saw.

My son was not very happy with me as I was the one who booked the hotel based on the recommendations from CC cruisers.

The only thing good DH could say was it was an excellent location.

I did want to add one thing to my other comments. This is probably the first place I've stayed at in Europe where I'd be wary of staying there alone. More than a few times, we saw some "shady" characters hanging out front at night. If my friend and her husband had not been there, I would have packed up and moved down the street to Le Meridien...

For the poster with the kid who thought it was a jail - are you sure he hasn't spent time in the Maricopa County Jail in Arizona??? Sheriff Joe dresses the inmates in pink :cool:

Archived