Late into St. Thomas

edpeeks

For all the times we have been to St. Thomas we have never arrived so late @ 11AM (leaving @ 7PM). My question is...Since we have always stayed on St. Thomas (usually Sapphire Beach) is it worth going over to St. John for the first time (Red Hook Ferry) with this time frame?

We prefer to eat on the boat. So shortly after we dock, eat lunch (I guess the 1PM RH ferry would be the first available) and head over. We would want to get back in time for early service (6PM). Are the beaches in the PM so crowded and are any tours of St. John available in the afternoon?

I have no problem in going back to Sapphire. We would just like a change. Thanks in advance for all the forthcoming help!

Funny, I could have sworn this was the St Thomas forum in the Ports of Call forum...:confused:

Edpeeks, many people do head straight for St John from this 11AM - 7PM port call and there are several threrads on that topic, one over 1,100 posts long! Unfortunately many of those folks have never experienced the beauty of the East End of St Thomas because they assume it's all like downtown CA. But you've seen Sapphire and know how nice it is there it sounds like.

I agree with you that most beaches will be much more crowded at 2PM than at 8AM, for example. You could taxi to Red Hook and take the 1PM ferry and be at a beach by 1:45 or 2PM. If you spent just 1.5 hrs at the beach you could probably make the 4PM return ferry from Cruz Bay and get to the ship by 5:30 or 5:45 with traffic but would not have time to shower and dress for the 6PM MDR seating. So a very rushed day with no time to relax or see St John.

If it were us we would choose Sapphire (or another East End beach) and maybe a stop at Paradise Point if timer allows for that magnificient view and a cocktail. I would save the St John visit for when you have 10 hrs in port and can enjoy the beauty of the island on a short tour and a stop at Trunk or Cinnamon followed by a fun lunch right in Cruz bay. Sapphire is our favorite beach on St Thomas and we rent condos there because it is so nice. There are other East End beaches if you want a busier vibe or different experience of course.

Have a great cruise!

Blue Water,

Thanks for your reply. You are very kind. Your thoughts were what I said to my wife last night after I had thought about the choices on St. T, i.e., A lot of running around in the afternoon to be back in the afternoon.

East end beaches, here we come!

I envy you - have a great cruise! And Red Hook is a fun spot to stop for a bite and a cold drink before or after the beach, Island Time overlooks the marina and has a great pizza and nachos with the works.

Have fun

Archived