Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

I agree with the poster who compared it with travel insurance. Don't come here begging for mercy when you have to cancel because there was something you could do. These no passports are the same one's who don't purchase insurance .... at least you might could benefit somewhat if you're stranded. The other reason some don't get passports because it's a legal issue. Can you say back pay on child support ... warrants out on your name. Can't take the chance of being ran through the system. And as mentioned some have the problem with getting the kids one due to non- supportive parents. My sister had to beg up on that letter, but evenutally she got him to show up at the post office so he could get one. He just got his first of age one. :D

My husband and I both have our passports. We are taking our children on their first cruise in June and aren't getting them passports, we have 4 and it is basically the cost. My daughter will be 15 days shy of an adult passport and I really don't know if they would use them again in the next 5 years for anything. If it wouldn't cost us an extra 600 we would of probably purchased them but taking them already cost us $6000. We aren't able to take vacations like this too often.

Edited by charw20

[/b]

Do you have the proper identification to re-enter by any means? If you have the necessity of flying home you need a passport.

I have the proper identification to re-enter by the way that I left. If I had the necessity of flying home then that's one of the reasons Consulates exist (and travel insurance).

What I can not understand is why some people are so passionate about others having passports...:confused: If you want one get one. If you want someone else to have one so badly, buy it for them...

Ron

That is an awesome idea. I constantly see people on here telling me how it's not that expensive and the cost is nothing so I have to get them. So whoever that is can just let me know and I'll email them a place to send the check. :D

I agree with the poster who compared it with travel insurance. Don't come here begging for mercy when you have to cancel because there was something you could do. These no passports are the same one's who don't purchase insurance .... at least you might could benefit somewhat if you're stranded. The other reason some don't get passports because it's a legal issue. Can you say back pay on child support ... warrants out on your name. Can't take the chance of being ran through the system. And as mentioned some have the problem with getting the kids one due to non- supportive parents. My sister had to beg up on that letter, but evenutally she got him to show up at the post office so he could get one. He just got his first of age one. :D

If that is the reason that someone is using to not get a passport then they don't understand how many systems their name is run through when they are on a passenger manifest.

People are cheap when given the chance the us should make a law requiring passports.... But I'm sure 1/2 the people who say they are to $$$ doesn't miss a stop to Starbucks or the tanning bed

And they are still cruising, taking excursions, buying drinks, etc. That's OK. I just wish they would stop saying they are too expensive and just say "I don't want one and I don't want to spend my money on them". The constant talk of the costs while planning their next cruise/vacation is silly.

And the US has passed laws requiring passports for certain types of travel and people are absolutely certain that this will never be an issue for them. :rolleyes:

People are cheap when given the chance the us should make a law requiring passports.... But I'm sure 1/2 the people who say they are to $$$ doesn't miss a stop to Starbucks or the tanning bed

I don't like Starbucks nor do I tan:D. I do spend my money as I see fit though. DHS determined that the risk to the national security from US citizens traveling on a closed loop cruise is low so they made an exception to the passport rules and it is doubtful that will be changing any time soon.

And they are still cruising, taking excursions, buying drinks, etc. That's OK. I just wish they would stop saying they are too expensive and just say "I don't want one and I don't want to spend my money on them". The constant talk of the costs while planning their next cruise/vacation is silly.

And the US has passed laws requiring passports for certain types of travel and people are absolutely certain that this will never be an issue for them. :rolleyes:

Your post is confusing. You want us to stop saying they are too expensive and admit that we don't want to spend the money on them? Okay I admit it. I don't want one and I don't want to spend the money on them (because they are too expensive).

There is nothing silly about spending money on things we enjoy or benefit us without spending money on things we don't need and that will only help us if a situation occurs that has a very low likelihood.

It took what, two or three years for the laws regarding the use of passports to be enacted and put into force? I am pretty sure that is ample time in which to get a passport;).

Its not always because someone doesnt want to spend the money.

I do have a passport, which I got in 2010 because I was headed to Mexico for a week on a girls trip. However, my parents surprised my son with a cruise last year, and since his father lives out of state, and we have no contact with him, I was unable to apply for a passport for him. Would I have liked to? Of course, I would have happily spent the money, but both parents listed on the bc have to apply in person for a child. I did not know this until I went online to print his passport application. He cruised with his bc and a state id.

Also, I booked a trip to PR and a cruise for me and my bf last year after hearing great things from my son. In the six years we have been together, we have never been on a vacay, and I had some money set aside that I wanted to use for a special trip for us. While he knew that he could go with his bc & dl since PR is a US Territory and only dl is needed for the flight, and we found out abt the closed loop cruise bc/dl when my son went last year, he still wanted to play it safe and get a passport. We found out (after I booked) that he cannot obtain a passport until he does not have a balance with the child support agency. (To avoid the bashers who will say he should pay, not vacay blah blah, I will give back story on this: he and his former relationship partner lived together for a few years after their child was born, and when they split, the custody agreement & child sup order was put in place, due to OH law, the child sup went back to the day she was born, since they were not married. He will carry a balance for those few years after his child turns 18, and continue to pay weekly, the same way he pays current amount due weekly). Would he have obtained one if he could? Absolutely. He even contacted the head of the passport division at CS, to see if he could pay more weekly and/or monthly toward the balance to remove the block. (I have to say, I whole-heartedly agree with this block for non-supportive parents, considering my own childs father will not be allowed to get one either so he doesnt pay, period. So Im not against it, even though it was too bad for BF, for those will bash that also) At that point, it was too late to cancel, and we wouldnt have anyway, so we are going with his bc and dl and hoping for the best. If something happens, well thats the chance he took, and we will deal with it then w/o complaint.

Point being, its not always a matter of "dont want to / dont need / costly", sometimes people cannot obtain one. There are extenuating circumstances sometimes, so dont be so quick to judge that all people are too irresponsible or cheap to have a passport :)

Edited by jvitatoe26

Wrong.....We just got our passports for the first time last week, just for DH and myself, not the kids. We have sailed 9 times without them without a single issue. We did not purchase travel insurance for our first 3 cruises, but we did for all the rest of them we booked. We had to use our travel insurance when DGM passed away the day before our cruise.

Reasons we did NOT purchase passports before this year:

1. It was not required for domestic land trips and closed-loop vacations we were taking so we did not want to waste passport years before we needed to.

2. We could not and still can not take last minute vacations to a foreign country. We have neither the flexibility or the time with our kids and our jobs so having it for a last minute booking was not (and is not) a benefit for us.

3. The risk of something happening on a closed loop cruise requiring you to have a passport to get hope is extremely small for most people and it is not insurmountable. Every one has a different level of risk and a different level of risk taking. It's a shame so many of you judge others by your own risk standards and don't even consider that this is a personal decision given to US citizens by our Government because the risk is so low on closed-loop cruises.

4. The cost vs the risk is too high to make it worth spending my money on. Again personal decision based on personal risks involve.

Reasons we purchased Passports this month for DH and myself and not kids:

1. DH & I will be going on our first cruise this year without kids. Kids are now 16 & 18. Both will be staying home without us. Both are relatively new drivers. The risk of new drivers getting into accidents is higher, putting our risk of having to come home quickly higher than I am willing to take for the cost of 2 passports. Personal decision based on a change in our risk factors.

2. Kids will be going with us on another cruise in July. I did not purchase passports for them. Their risks did not change.

Reasons we purchase travel insurance:

1. 2nd cruise, no travel insurance, direct flight from MI to FL had an emergency landing in TN for 5 hours. If we hadn't been flying in the day before we would have missed our cruise.

2. 3rd cruise, no travel insurance, we drove from MI to FL with extended family in 2 cars. DM's car blew a fuse preventing them to get into their trunk where their luggage and DSF wheel chair were located. Spent 4 hours at a Volvo dealership to get fixed. Luckily we driving in a couple days early to visit DGM. Same trip on the way to the ship on a highway in Tampa a cooler flew out of the back of a truck in front of us and smashed into DM's front windshield on drivers side. Luckily we were close enough to the port where DH could take over driving her vehicle slowly until we got to the port and the parking lot people helped us set up repairs while we were on the ship. Same trip when we got home we discovered that DF had gotten an infection in the hospital while we were driving home (he was on the mend when we left for our cruise). He passed away 3 days after our return.

3. 6th planned cruise, with travel insurance, DGM passes away the day before our cruise out of NY. We found out after we just driven there from MI. We cancelled our cruise and turned around and drove home. Cruise fully refunded.

4. IMHO travel insurance covers many more risks likely to happen than having a passport does at a fraction of the cost. A good value for my money.

Getting travel insurance or a passport for closed loop cruises is a personal decision that we all have a right to make for ourselves based on our own risk factors and our own level of risk taking. It doesn't matter whether you agree with that persons decision or not. I personally would never tell anyone to get a passport or travel insurance because it is a personal decision they need to make weighing their own factors and not mine.

I do get irritated when some posters on here try to make the risks sound much greater than they are trying to scare cruisers into getting a passport or making it sound like they are required when they absolutely are not. Give the facts (not exaggerated what if scenarios) and let people make educated decisions for themselves.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Do you take your passport with you when you get off the ship during a port of call? I don't want to lose it when I'm snorkeling.

This will be our first cruise passports. I paid the money for them they are coming with me....not much use to me sitting on the ship if I have a rare emergency while on foreign soil. Copies will be on the ship if lost or stolen.

I got my passport in 2007. I got married since then and I have to apply like it's the first time just to have my name changed. Same cost as getting it for the first time. At least I'll have 10 yrs before I have to renew it again. Unless I get divorced in that time and will have to pay all over again!

I cruised last month on the Imagination for a quick weekend cruise. Once we were through security we were directed to a short line to check in and get our Sign and Sail cards. The line to the right of us was very long. We asked what the difference was, and we were told we were in the short line because we had passports and had done all of the check-in on line.

Our family has passports because we really have no choice but to get our 2 daughters passports. They are international adoptees, and I am not carrying their certificate of citizenship with me.

It is nice to know that we all have the passports in case anything should happen on a cruise and the freedom to travel anywhere!

For you single parents out there with uncooperative co-parents, look at your custody orders. They might state which parent is the one with the ability to apply for their children's passports. If your orders don't say that (or worse, you don't have custody orders), go talk to your attorney. I know in Texas at least, that clause is required.

Never stopped at Starbucks or the tanning bed. It shouldn't matter to you how people spend their money anyways. It's the money in your own pocket you should be worried about :rolleyes:.

Not required. Risk extremely small. Cost high vs risk. What I spend MY money on....MY choice.

This will be our first cruise passports. I paid the money for them they are coming with me....not much use to me sitting on the ship if I have a rare emergency while on foreign soil. Copies will be on the ship if lost or stolen.

You say copies. You just scan the main page of the passport? Thanks

I do get irritated when some posters on here try to make the risks sound much greater than they are trying to scare cruisers into getting a passport or making it sound like they are required when they absolutely are not. Give the facts (not exaggerated what if scenarios) and let people make educated decisions for themselves.

Thank you for that! We don't have passports as we just took our first cruise 2 years ago this October and that is when we will be taking out 2nd cruise. We save a long time to take a cruise and I cannot see spending that kind of money for an every other year (more or less) cruise. I don't like to fly so there is no real chance of me needing one to fly out of the country. Not really worried about getting back home for emergency if I don't have one. I just take the old people (my parents) with me! :D

I don't have to justify my reasons for not getting one to anyone. I would not come on this board and whine if I had an issue and did not have one because I know the risks.

I also do not see the need for anyone on this board to have to say what else they do and don't spend their money on when on a cruise or not. It is no one else's business. I don't care whether they have Starbucks every day or not or whether they waste their money drinking on a cruise every day but won't get a passport. It is each persons choice to either get one or not.

For me and mine that risk is very low and that's why we do have travel insurance in the event that it does happen.

Heck I'd never buy travel insurance let alone purchasing an uneeded passport. I have no problem playing the odds or deferring costs until needed.

I also take off comprensive insurance on my autos much earlier than than average consumer. Same with the ubiquitous "protection" plans on misc. purchases, I never get them.

I don't find much intrinsic value of owning something (say a passport or travel insurance) that may never be needed or "just in case". It's of no value to me.

At some point I'll likely have to pay out due to some issue. But the odds are in my favor I'll have already saved that much previously.

Having said that, I now have a passport. It's required for our Med. cruise so it was money, NOW, well spent.

Edited by fuddrules

I agree. I think it just comes down to money. We each have ours and I'll get one for the baby as soon as I'm able. As mentioned they're good for 10 years so why not. That makes them what 10 or 15 bucks a year? Most of us waste that on coffee or cigarettes in a week, or day depending on your bent.

I'm Canadian so mine only lasts 5 years and iirc is no cheaper than a US passport. I have no sympathy for the expense argument ;) don't even get me started on how hard it is to get somebody to take a picture that conforms to Canadian passport requirements in the South! Sears used to do them but now that they're closing their photo studios I guess I'm back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one always cracks me up. Who cares what the average cost per year is? It still has to be paid in full in the beginning.

If they had installment plans of $10-$15 per year then I'd bet most people who are on the fence would get them.

Bill