First time Alaska

bornin49

Good morning.

We are heading to Alaska on a 7 night cruise on the 17th of May,Iam taking my t3i canon camera with a 100/400 lens,has anyone ever used the plastic rain coats that they make for cameras?? Thanks.

Yes, the rain coats work well. Practice with your's before going so you can put it on quickly and correctly. Also, keep in mind with a long telephoto that pictures in much rain tend to not come out so well. You end up having a lot of water in the air between you and your subject. The covers are great though for protecting against the occasional splash or brief shower.

Another useful item is a waterproof backpack cover. Aside from it's obvious purpose they make great, quick covers for your camera & lens especially if you have the camera on a tri or mono pod. If my camera is still in my backpack the cover goes over the pack. If I'm shooting and a sudden shower comes up the cover is big enough to cover the dust pump extended and with the shade attached which is no small feat.

I used a rain sleeve (one of the op tech ones that pierces mentioned) on my T2i with a 70-400 F4l attached. You may want to practice using one on the 100-400. I believe that lens has a push/pull zoom. It actually may be easier than trying to turn a zoom ring through the plastic.

I also used the OpTech Rainsleeves on my camera. Definitely practice putting it on the camera, and using it before you go. I still keep them in my bag, just in case. The great thing about the OpTech product is they come in a 2-pack, and the price is so low, that I was willing to open up the plastic under the camera to make reaching the lens a little easier.

I used a rain sleeve (one of the op tech ones that pierces mentioned) on my T2i with a 70-400 F4l attached. You may want to practice using one on the 100-400. I believe that lens has a push/pull zoom. It actually may be easier than trying to turn a zoom ring through the plastic.

Thank you for the information,I took a look at your photos, they're awesome,loved the bear shot,thanks for sharing .

• 2 weeks later...

Received my OP tech rain sleeve in the mail, now to practice with it before the cruise,thanks everyone for the info. Joe.

just got back from Alaska last week, used a Storm Jacket on my DSLR. Definitely get used to using the camera controls through the cover and if your lens is not IF get used to how the rain cover and lens respond as the lens front element and sun hood rotate.

It was surprising how few people on our boat had rainpro for their cameras, I don't want to think how many cameras were damaged as a result (it was pouring in glacier bay...) Even the ship photographers were having rainpro issues and were asking about my storm jacket when they saw it.

I now bring a large thick rubber band to secure the front of the bag to the lens hood. Last time I got caught in the rain and used the optech bag I got some photos where the plastic got in front of the lens.

I now bring a large thick rubber band to secure the front of the bag to the lens hood. Last time I got caught in the rain and used the optech bag I got some photos where the plastic got in front of the lens.
This is a great tip...thanks.

I was thinking of bringing a small roll of electrical tape and tape the lens hood to the optech bag to seal from the elements.

With the rain, I wonder if electrical tape is a good option.

I use it all the time in the winter to wrap the ends of my Christmas lights to prevent snow/water from entering the connection points.

Why don't you think it will be a good idea to attach use to attach to the lens hood and secure the rain sleeve to the camera? I would think it would be a better seal than a rubber band? Am I missing something?

Archived