Calling Experts on Asia Cruises!

Marie-Claude

I need your help!

I travel with my mom (she's 77) and we've decided a few years ago that cruises would be our way of travelling from now on - for a bunch of reasons but particularly since my mom finds it easier. We both love cruising so it is far from being a problem for me. However, I'm having a hard time to decide on a cruise to Asia as there is so much to see, and we spend so little time in each place.

That's why I need your help... so here are a few questions for the experts:

1- We usually travel in the Spring or Fall? Which is best?

2- My mom has the Great wall of China on her list of things to see in her life... what itinerary would include that (if any)?

3- Would Princess or Oceania be the best lines? Any other lines that I may not be familiar with?

I'm planning this for 2006, while mom is still in good shape to enjoy the trip and manage this long a flight!

Thanks very much for your help!

I am taking my first Asian cruise on Oceania's Nautica from Beijing to Hong Kong next March. We went to South America/Antarctica in December on Oceania's Insignia which is just about identical to the Nautica. The experrience was the best! Cabin, food, service, and public areas were all wonderful. The ships carry only 680 passengers which I found to be ideal. This will be Oceania's first season in Asia.

Marie-Claude,

Holland America is positioning the Statendam in Asia during the Spring of 2006. There are 3 cruises between Hong Kong and Osaka that would include a port stop at Xingang that would allow a visit to Beijing. A variety of shore excursions are offered that would allow your Mother to visit the Great Wall. I would recommend one that is a 2 day/1 night trip that would allow you to see quite a number of attractions in Beijing, have a Peking Duck dinner, and maybe would not be as possibly tiring as a one day trip into the city and back to the ship. It is a fairly long bus ride from Beijing to Xingang.

I hope this helps you.

we are booked on Radisson Seven Seas Mariner from Tokyo to Hong Kong in September. There is a 2 day excursion to Beijing included in the cruise fare. This includes a trip to the Great Wall as well as the Forbidden City. Altho we have cruised on RSSC before and just love the 6 star service and ambiance, this will be our 1st trip to Asia. I have researched these boards and it seems to be fairly physically demanding part of the world as far as lots of walking to get to the places you want to see, so would really encourage you to go sooner rather than later if Mom's mobility is an issue. Good luck and happy sailing!

In my opinion, the Oceania cruises seem like too much time in port. You can travel on the same ship (sister) and see more in less time by choosing a itinerary on the Pacific Princess. Or, you can travel on a mega-ship (not my reccomedation). Oceania seems neat, but the Pacifc's voyages begin or end in Xingang (Beijing) so you can see the Wall before or after. If you would like, I'll fill you in after our July cruise. And, we are traveling with two 73 year olds so it will be an adventure.

Marie-Claude,

I've been on two Oceania cruises and one Princess cruise. Overall, I prefer the Oceania experience better - smaller ships, often overnights in a port city. However, the one area where Oceania doesn't excell is on their shore excursions. My experience is that on both our cruises with them it was their first time on that particular itinerary, so perhaps they get their act together after a few runs.

I'm sure we'll travel on Oceania again, however, I think we'll not do a maiden run anyplace with them again. Even though we generally book our own tours or travel independantly in the ports, Oceania was not good at giving people adequate port information. If you're the type that does tons of research and doesn't use the ships tours, you'll be fine. But if you're planning on taking the ships tours, I'd go with a line where I wasn't part of be "working out the kinks" group.

Jane

Thank you all for you tips and recommendation. I'll definitely be on the lookout for Ms Understoood's review...

I really like the Statendam's itinerary. I'm just hoping HAL will have it in the Fall as opposed to Spring. It looks like I won't be able to take my vacations til end of May 2006 and I'm afraid it'll be too hot in Asia at that time.

I'll keep on looking, and I'll welcome any other recommendations!

Thank you CCers for your great comments!

In my opinion, the Oceania cruises seem like too much time in port. You can travel on the same ship (sister) and see more in less time by choosing a itinerary on the Pacific Princess. Or, you can travel on a mega-ship (not my reccomedation). Oceania seems neat, but the Pacifc's voyages begin or end in Xingang (Beijing) so you can see the Wall before or after. If you would like, I'll fill you in after our July cruise. And, we are traveling with two 73 year olds so it will be an adventure.

It will be hot in Beijing in August-hotter than NYC go in the Spring or Fall...

• 1 month later...

I went on Sapphire Princess from Beijing to Osaka this past April. Excellent trip excellent time of year to go.

From the research I did before I went the fall and spring are the best times. I usually really like and almost prefer the fall as weather is usuallay at it's best. Lately because of work I have been going in April on cruises and have realized this is a great time as well as kids are still in school and the flowers and spring life are fantastic. On our particular cruise to Asia we got the cherry blossoms at the great wall but in Beijing there were already finished. In Pusan Korea the blossoms were in full glory on a great spring day we were there and in Japan because it was a bit further south. We missed the blossoms- the sailing before us got them but the azeleas (sp?) were spectacular. I am not a huge gardener but I do appreciate this. I am only pointing out a bonus to going in springtime.

i am going to be posting my review so be on the lookout for it.

Archived