Taking food off the ship

Love2Snorkle

The answer was there is signage in place telling you not to take food off the ship.

Here is a sign posted before going thru the ding machine when getting off the ship.

GEDC2985.jpg

In Ensenada, there is a ag sniffing dog. He has alerted to people carrying off food from the ship. The guard was searching the group's bags.

In Cabo, the guards are checking most bags for fruits and vegetables.

You can take packaged food off the ship. We even had a waitress who suggested it to us, to take a box of cereal off of the buffet at breakfast for our snack when we are on shore until we can get back to the ship for lunch. If cereal isn't your thing, you could buy bags of chips either before you board, at one port to save for the next, or even from the onboard store if you want to pay inflated prices.

Thank you all for this wonderful information. My son has life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergies, and I was planning to bring some food off the ship for him on our port days, as I don't know how easy it will be to find safe food for him in the ports (we would buy for the rest of us). But I will make sure that it is just the pre-packaged foods. Even if it's just something for him to snack on until he can get a meal back on the ship.

We often carry on an unopened bag of potato chips at embarcation because the Fantasy doesn't serve chips with sandwiches. My wife couldn't find the small individual serving sizes so she bought a large bag. We carried off what we hadn't eaten at debarcation. When I was filling out the custom form I asked my wife if she thought the chips were relevant to the question of bringing food into the country. She thought not. Was she wrong?

Yes. But not for the reasons that many will come on here and tell you. It's so you will spend your money on food at the port.

That's the most ridiculous reasoning ever. You cannot bring (some) food into any foreign countries, nor (some) food from other countries into the US regardless of how or where you arrive. It has nothing to do with spending at the ports.

So, it sounds as if just fruit/produce? I have diabetes and always carry glucose tablets and some type of granola bar for a day trip in case of low blood sugar and get stuck somewhere especially if I wouldn't know the area I am going to. Think this is ok. Id probably take some snacks for the kids normally but they can survive without.

So, it sounds as if just fruit/produce? I have diabetes and always carry glucose tablets and some type of granola bar for a day trip in case of low blood sugar and get stuck somewhere especially if I wouldn't know the area I am going to. Think this is ok. Id probably take some snacks for the kids normally but they can survive without.

It really depends on local laws, but fruit/produce is generally the main concern. Most countries allow you to bring in pre-sealed items, such as granola bars, pop-tarts, individually wrapped snacks. Your probably fine on glucose tablets as well.

It really depends on local laws, but fruit/produce is generally the main concern. Most countries allow you to bring in pre-sealed items, such as granola bars, pop-tarts, individually wrapped snacks. Your probably fine on glucose tablets as well.

Meats and cheeses are also of concern in some countries, but I'm more familiar with European/US restrictions on that, not familiar with Caribbean/US rules.

We often carry on an unopened bag of potato chips at embarcation because the Fantasy doesn't serve chips with sandwiches. My wife couldn't find the small individual serving sizes so she bought a large bag. We carried off what we hadn't eaten at debarcation. When I was filling out the custom form I asked my wife if she thought the chips were relevant to the question of bringing food into the country. She thought not. Was she wrong?

IMO, you should have mentioned it. It was food you were bringing into the country. Since they were just making a round trip from the US, you probably would have been able to bring them through with no problem. Worst that happens is you have to throw away a half eaten bag of chips.

But what if there had been a dog just a few steps behind the officer who sat down next to you and they found out you didn't claim it? Seems like that is a much bigger hassle... Because then they think you were being decietful, even if it was an honest mistake.

I've found customs for the most part doesn't really care too much about what the general cruiser brings back though. We've been waived through without fuss everytime (though we don't have much with us).

This shouldn't be a shock. I'm from California. You cannot pass into the borders of California with fruits, vegetables, plants, etc. It's now allowed because of the harm potential pests can have on the ecosystem. It may have much to do with spending money at their port but it also is to protect the ecosystem.

I remember going back from Arizona to California one time...I was pregnant and had stopped at a strawberry farm just about 5 miles away from the border. They wouldn't let me bring my strawberries in. I knew that but I just forgot. I sat right there with border patrol for an hour munching on strawberries. They were getting in one way or the other. :D

Anything pre-packaged, like granola bars, goldfish crackers, peanut butter cracker packages, cereal from the ship, etc is okay. We brought those things off the ship to help our kids make it to a late lunch on an excursion. We also fill our water bottle to take with us. Fruit and veggies are clearly not okay. I have heard so many different stories about other types of food like sandwiches and I'm guessing it depends on the port, so I just stick with pre-packaged foods. I'm sure glucose tablets would be fine.

Meats and cheeses are also of concern in some countries, but I'm more familiar with European/US restrictions on that, not familiar with Caribbean/US rules.

You are correct. Mexico for instance forbids "homemade food items" and regulates items like poultry and dairy in addition to the commonly referenced fruits and plants.

For more information you can find a summary here: http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/agriculture.php

Or if you read spanish, the government website is here: http://www.senasica.gob.mx/

Google translate's output for the page on ham says:

To enter Mexico hams and cheeses as part of the baggage of travelers, consider the following specifications otherwise be delivered to the official staff-SENASICA SAGARPA to return them or destroy them officially.

1. Must be in full packaging, labeled in English or Spanish and sealed by the health authority.
  2. They come from plants Accredited by SAGARPA-SENASICA

So the aforementioned ham sandwich would be in violation of the law.

Other Caribbean countries probably have similar laws.

We usually take boxes of cereal off the ship

You just gave me a jolting reminder of this family I saw in Cozumel once.... Three little sunburned kids eating cruise ship cereal out of boxes in the sand. Mixed with sand. While their parents ate wings and drank cocktails. Sorry, bad memory.

Ok! Part of me wants to say "go sample the local cuisine!" but the other part of me, the real me, almost never does that in the Caribbean and Bahamas because I'm too afraid of getting sick. So we usually suffer the brutal fate of being WITHOUT FOOD for five hours and then go back to the mother ship and eat. :D

Thank you all for this wonderful information. My son has life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergies, and I was planning to bring some food off the ship for him on our port days, as I don't know how easy it will be to find safe food for him in the ports (we would buy for the rest of us). But I will make sure that it is just the pre-packaged foods. Even if it's just something for him to snack on until he can get a meal back on the ship.

When we went to Italy I made up cards for DD who is also allergic to peanuts and treenuts. I used Google Translate, business card stock and had them laminated.

You can also buy them on the web. Many of the professional ones even have pictures. Google Allergy Cards

http://selectwisely.com/

https://www.allergytranslation.com/Home/home.php

ETA----If you make up your own just don't say 'Allergic to Nuts', name them. Even in the States some think 'Nuts' are just walnuts, not almonds, filberts, cashews etc.

Besides the agricultural issues ( I live in Cali too), theres the food safety issue overall.

How long do you think a ham and cheese sandwich will be safe to eat sitting in a hot beach bag after a few hours? Or a slice of pizza?

Part of my cruise highlight is trying the local cuisine...and I will say I've seen far worse food handling procedures here in the US and been served a bad burger or other item more than once here in my own town. :(

That's the most ridiculous reasoning ever. You cannot bring (some) food into any foreign countries, nor (some) food from other countries into the US regardless of how or where you arrive. It has nothing to do with spending at the ports.

Yeah, OK, fruits and vegetables I get (due to the ever so slight possibility that they could introduce a pest into the island's eco-system). But why prohibit ALL food? Only to help the local economy. That is all.

Yeah, OK, fruits and vegetables I get (due to the ever so slight possibility that they could introduce a pest into the island's eco-system). But why prohibit ALL food? Only to help the local economy. That is all.

Wrong. Meat from the UK is prohibited from being brought into the US, in part, because of mad cow disease and hoof and mouth disease. Foreign cheese are prohibited because the US prohibits unpasteurized cheeses, which are common in Europe.

As I said earlier, these prohibitions are universal, not just in cruise port countries. It has little to do with economics on the level that you imply.

Wrong. Meat from the UK is prohibited from being brought into the US, in part, because of mad cow disease and hoof and mouth disease. Foreign cheese are prohibited because the US prohibits unpasteurized cheeses, which are common in Europe.

As I said earlier, these prohibitions are universal, not just in cruise port countries. It has little to do with economics on the level that you imply.

It's also prohibited to bring meat from Mexico into the US. I always have to make sure I've eaten all my chicharrones before crossing back.

I have even gone into cities in Mexico and bought food from street vendors. Afterwards I thought .. I bet some people would have said not to take the chance. If Im hungry I buy something to eat. There are always eating places that are American if you are actually afraid of eating local food and not just cheapskates.

Id rather have a taco from a street vendor than McDonalds from any country, even here lol! ;) When I order seafood cocktails from the street carts in Mexico, new travelers with me say "arent you scared of getting sick?". I see the seafood on ice, shucking fresh clams, I see them preparing it and everything..right in front of me. Cleaner than some places Ive been in the US.

It's also prohibited to bring meat from Mexico into the US. I always have to make sure I've eaten all my chicharrones before crossing back.

Love the chicharrones! No problems finishing mine! :D

Adding on---

It's a matter of knowing what's allowed. Arrived home from Rome last week. Declared that I had food. Was just waived thru when I said I had Parmesano/Reggiano and cookies.

Sometimes it's not a matter of the environment. We cannot legally bring Kinder Eggs into the States. They are considered a choking hazard.

Id rather have a taco from a street vendor than McDonalds from any country, even here lol! ;) When I order seafood cocktails from the street carts in Mexico, new travelers with me say "arent you scared of getting sick?". I see the seafood on ice, shucking fresh clams, I see them preparing it and everything..right in front of me. Cleaner than some places Ive been in the US.

Just don't eat the fresh clams during a red tide or for about a month afterwards. My biggest problem is keeping my chicharrones away from my dog!

Just don't eat the fresh clams during a red tide or for about a month afterwards. My biggest problem is keeping my chicharrones away from my dog!

For sure about the clams! When I lived in Panama City Beach had a few episodes of red tide and its nasty!

I have to keep my boyfriend away from my chicarrones! Pesky! :D

I got violently sick from a seafood coctail in mexico, and so did my friends at a different place down the street in Mexico, yet the hundreds of times over the years I've grabbed a quick sandwich at McDonalds I have never been sick. hmmm

Archived